Give Me A Break | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Give Me A Break

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
You may be right Boss, no reason at all to doubt what you say, but I reckon the last thing the Tigers need right now is a board level overhaul.

Can you imagine the hue and cry if at the end of another disappointing year we:

1. Sack half the list.
2. Sack the coach again.
3. Have a board level fight, splitting the club down the middle.
4. Greg Miller resigns (he has publicly tied his tenure to Clinton Casey's).
5. Come out and say everything's fine and we're aiming to make the finals next season.
6. Start selling memberships. Yeah, sure.

If a scenario like that unfolds at the end of this season, does anybody seriously believe that we could get the coach we really want, just by holding out a blank cheque and whacking an ad in The Age? The entire football world would laugh in our faces, roll their eyes and say, "there goes good ol' Richmond, won't have to worry about them for another 20 years". And memberships would plummet.

Why is not possible for Richmond to manage an orderly succession, if that is what is required, both in the football department and at board level?

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
BalmyArmy said:
I recently drove to Adelaide to watch us play, and I felt so proud to wear my coulours over there. Some Richmond supporters i work with just laughed at tjhe idea, and as far as I'm concerned, they may as well follow Collingwood.

The locals ehre in Adelaide arent that bad. Most like a bit of friendly banter. I wear my jacket all the time and wore my guernsey hte other day to my girlfriends netball gaem and never a word. Occasionalyl if we are going to play one of their sides i will wear it down Rundle Mall for a bit of fun. Most jsut have friendly banter and want to place bets with you. It is more good fun, people here in Adelaide are harmless. Crows supporters have no passion anyway unless they are winning so i wouldnt expect a peep out of them.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
MaskedMan, welcome to PRE - good first post.

I have been thinking about joining Club80 but with my other commitments to things around the Club - I have had to give it a miss.

I like you will, be there again next year and the year after. Actually, I will be increasing my level of membership for 2004, becasue I honestly believe there are some exciting times ahead. Off-field things are looking incredibly strong - sponsorship wise etc. This gives the Club the opportunity to get the on-field right for the first time in a long time without the financial constraints that have held us back.

MC24, Dean3, BalmyArmy, you have all echoed my thoughts well. Perhaps we are the minority. Mayber we are the PRE Muskateers ;)

The Boss - I know you have a good inside knowledge of what goes on at the Club and I always respect your opinion but as you probably know from yesterday with regard to Clinton Casey - I disagree. I think he has done a good job. He was smart enough to realise we needed a Greg Miller in the Footy Dept and CEO like Ian Campbell who a) knows how to market the Club in the most postive of ways and b) who is a team player rather than someone seeking to boost there own ego and career. But as has already been mentioned each to their own.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Koalalill said:
MC24, Dean3, BalmyArmy, you have all echoed my thoughts well. Perhaps we are the minority. Mayber we are the PRE Muskateers ;)

All for one ... ;)

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
KL - I agree that Casey's appointment of Miller and Cambpell have been positive steps to build the club's future. Both are outstanding people and the right people for the job they have taken on..
But in my opinion I think there are better people then Casey to be President of our great club. It 's all about getting the best possible people in every position. This includes Football Department personnel, Recruiting & Membership.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
The Boss said:
It 's all about getting the best possible people in every position. This includes Football Department personnel, Recruiting & Membership.

Agree in principal with you there Boss - I suppose we just have a difference over who the right people are. Membership is an interesting one I reckon ;) could be the 2nd hardest job at the RFC

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003

1. Sack half the list.

Dean3 - I agree with most of what you say but if we don't do number 1 we're up the proverbial. We have to realise that the list is poor at best and needs regenerating. Half the list may be extreme but there's a lot of deadwood. Stability off the field is essential but we are in desperate need of a player shake-up. I think it's fair to say this has been recognised by the football department.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Dean3 said:
You may be right Boss, no reason at all to doubt what you say, but I reckon the last thing the Tigers need right now is a board level overhaul.

1. Sack half the list.
2. Sack the coach again.
3. Have a board level fight, splitting the club down the middle.
4. Greg Miller resigns (he has publicly tied his tenure to Clinton Casey's).
5. Come out and say everything's fine and we're aiming to make the finals next season.
6. Start selling memberships. Yeah, sure.

If a scenario like that unfolds at the end of this season, does anybody seriously believe that we could get the coach we really want, just by holding out a blank cheque and whacking an ad in The Age? The entire football world would laugh in our faces, roll their eyes and say, "there goes good ol' Richmond, won't have to worry about them for another 20 years". And memberships would plummet.

Why is not possible for Richmond to manage an orderly succession, if that is what is required, both in the football department and at board level?

Can you imagine the supporters reaction if -

1. Sack Frawely, or have him retire
2. Appoint Wallace or O'Donnell etc.
3. Get rid of the dead wood (7-8)
4. Recruit a heap of youngsters
5. Come out and say we are rebuilding to an extent and don't expect a premiership next year.
6. Start selling memberships. yes.

If a scenario like this unfolds at the end of this season then expect membership figures to exceed 30,000 next year.

This is all the supporters are asking for - not too extreme I would have thought.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
The Boss said:
But in my opinion I think there are better people then Casey to be President of our great club. It 's all about getting the best possible people in every position. This includes Football Department personnel, Recruiting & Membership.

Agreed Boss, but like our playing lists, you can't overhaul everything in one pre season. Get the top people inplace first and then they'll help with the rest. Miller will know in time if Beck is the right man for the job. Campbell I'm sure will know if our memebership department is capable. Start at the top, which they have done. Pretenders will now be found out.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I feel slightly miffed about Casey getting all this credit for 'stability'. This is the bloke that stormed into the club with a destructive challenge for the leadership over Leon Daphne - who was a true Richmond man that was respected throughout the football world. Daphne let the Casey people take over because he didn't want to see another Richmond brawl acted out in public. So Casey himself caused our last internal haemorrhage. He promised the world and has delivered rubbish.

He should be held accountable for the consequences of his takeover - and is the last person to claim the high moral ground when it comes to counter-productive nature of 'new brooms'.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Tigerblood said:
I feel slightly miffed about Casey getting all this credit for 'stability'. This is the bloke that stormed into the club with a destructive challenge for the leadership over Leon Daphne - who was a true Richmond man that was respected throughout the football world.

No one denies the good the Daphne administration did for this Club. Leon Daphne stabilised the Club from a financial perspective and we all appreciate those efforts but, in terms of moving the Club forward, his administration basically seemed to have little idea how to go about it.

It took us as far as it was capable of. To me it seemed that the Club was just waiting for success on the field to happen and then the Club would be successful. I felt the Club had stagnated and it was time for some new ideas and change.

And good on Leon Daphne for recognising that and having the courage to step aside. In doing so, he showed that he obviously has the interests of the Richmond Football Club at heart.

Casey did the right thing, at the right time, imo.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Harry and RFC/KFC I was talking about my scenario in toto, not bits and pieces of it selectively taken out for the purposes of making a cheap point.

Harry, I'm glad you agree with me that we don't need a board level clean out :)

As I've said before, I'm not married to the idea of Frawley. If he resigns then so be it, we can get on with your scenario too Harry — would be fine with me and most supporters I think (although I believe Wallace would be a big mistake - he's much more suited to Melbourne's list).
Poor Danny must have run over a black cat and walked under 3 ladders on his way to Punt Rd. I think we've only really seen his game plan in full operation for maybe 3 or 4 games in the past season and a half - at the beginning of last season. It's been lost under a mire of injuries and concomitant lost confidence. Take a look at the Collingwood game, round 1 last season - that is the real Frawley game plan in action. Ottens kicked 4, Richo 6, I think we kicked 20 goals+ and won by 5. It's a real shame that we haven't been able to put that team on the park, virtually since then.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
BalmyArmy said:
Daphne was good, but to move forward you need changes.

Change with a clear plan and direction in mind. Not just change for the sake of change and to be seen to be doing something when things look crook in Tobruk.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Shawry - your pretty close their mate, he's a Bombers man.

But all of a sudden he's found this undying passion for the RFC. How can this man have the same passion as other Presidents like McGuire, Dicker, Collins and McMahon when he isn't even a Richmond supporter????

Well done on exposing him Shawry.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
shawry said:
Heard a rumour that Casey was a Hawthorn member before he took over the presidency of Richmond. Can anyone confirm this?

Don't know about that shawry and that's funny The Boss, because I'm sure I've heard Casey say that he barracked for Richmond through his youth.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
MC does this saying sound familiar- "Believe half of what you see and non of what you hear"!!!!

Go and ask him again, you may have mis-heard him.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
The Boss said:
MC does this saying sound familiar- "Believe half of what you see and non of what you hear"!!!!

Go and ask him again, you may have mis-heard him.

I may have misheard him, but I at least heard it from him, not someone else.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Great Post Maskedman.

I too will always buy a membership.

Why, because what would life be without the Tigers.

Probably a lot less stressful, but you only needed to listen to Tommy HAFEY on Club Corner to understand the uniqueness of being a True Tiger supporter.

Nice touch to BalmyArmy.