Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

He seems to have deleted the posts, so I can't see the full context, or what else was said. But clearly Conroy was accusing him of opportunism. And yeah, there'd be plenty who agree with Steele-John - all those holding Morrison responsible for the fires, for a start.

People hold Morrison responsible for three things, not the fires themselves.

1. CC denialism
2. Abrogation of leadership throughout.
3. A *smile*-weak response that continues.

Too simplistic to say that people blame him directly for the fires. That's a strawman.

Reactions: 1 user
"Labor frontbencher Pat Conroy has marked the 10th anniversary of the defeat of Labor’s emissions trading scheme by releasing new figures detailing the cost of “policy failure” over the past decade."

"Greens leader Richard Di Natale said focus should remain on the present need for action on reducing emissions.

"The Australian people don't give two hoots about a fight that happened ten years ago," he said

Well Mr Natale i care a lot about what happened ten years, you and the Green party are a disgrace and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Not sure about that. The bushfires appear to be low-hanging fruit. Very tempting for them.
Low hanging i agree but indisputable.
If only they could harness unity instead of promoting divisiveness. They can't capture the imagination of us, well me at least, when they continue to behave like angry adolescents.
They need the support of another party to get influence, there are so many voters who could easily go to them if they were prepared to grow up.

Fair point. Labor and the Greens have never sorted their act out.

I don't see what he has said as particularly outrageous - a lot of people would agree with it. Fault on all sides in this mess.
My take Antman is that even more people would choose to further distance themselves from the Greens simply due to this type of behaviour.
I personally cannot understand why the party allows this to happen, they just cannot belp themselves.

My take Antman is that even more people would choose to further distance themselves from the Greens simply due to this type of behaviour.
I personally cannot understand why the party allows this to happen, they just cannot belp themselves.

I agree, it's not helpful either way.

There is no way we should beggar ourselves to set a good example to others re cc. Morrison has it right. When large emitter countries get serious then we should IMO. Otherwise lip service is a perfectly acceptable strategy.

Aah, ok. So when I hear that people are fundraising to help bushfire victims I should grill the fundraisers to make sure that the wealthy are donating large sums of money, and if they aren't, then I should resist the temptation to help my fellow human beings?

Australia is not just refusing to act, the bunch of twits in government actively discourage action on climate change, just look at what they did at the recent climate change conference. Suggesting we can take credits from the Kyoto accord when the Kyoto accord allowed Australia to increase emissions is clearly active blocking of action on climate change. We're not setting a good example or leading other countries, we are actively setting a bad example and trying to screw up agreements.

If Scott from Marketing doesn't want to cop this sort of crap then he shouldn't pull stunts like bringing coal into parliament. He is getting what he deserves. We were told years ago that the impact of climate change would be more severe bushfires, but Scott from Marketing is more interested in flogging coal and making cheap political points. He is not a leader and well beyond his capabilities and it shows.

DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've seen this argument before. Australia are only small contributors, so we shouldn't need to do anything until the larger ones do.

With that type of attitude, we'd never have joined WW1 or WW2 until other countries had gone before us. Did our small contigent help? Absolutely.
It's about a collective battle, not just sticking your head in the sand and saying someone else can do it.

What about when Insurance companies start saying they're not going to insure people for weather driven damage to homes, because they're sick of paying out. Or just that most people won't be able to afford the premiums they set? So long as we make money off coal hey?

There are no valid arguments for not attacking climate change anymore. Make no mistake, things are getting and will get worse.

Reactions: 3 users
Small countries collectively produce 40% of emissions. So saying small countries can't make a difference is bull.

Also consider the cost to tourism, agriculture and all the businesses and homes destroyed by these fires. We can't afford the cost of doing nothing anymore.

Also consider the cost to tourism, agriculture and all the businesses and homes destroyed by these fires. We can't afford the cost of doing nothing anymore.
Can guarantee insurance companies are considering the cost as we speak.
Am worried about the effects of this disaster on our entire economy.

With no dedicated Bushfire thread, this one will have to do. It looks like today can be one of the worst.

Any PREers who are or have loved ones in the high risk areas, stay safe. Better to be safe than brave in these situations.

Reactions: 1 users

Well worth a read. We need all areas of Government working together on this rather than play a blame game now. Local governments in the bush are frustrated with the State Government with how hard it is to get permission to clean up and reduce the fuel load. While Scott Morrison has been asleep at the wheel expecting that States will take care of it as they are supposed to in theory.

Its time to get the best people in from all sides and come up with a National Strategy on fire hazard reduction, along with rules, funding and execution so that we all be proud of the lessons learned from the last few months.

Aah, ok. So when I hear that people are fundraising to help bushfire victims I should grill the fundraisers to make sure that the wealthy are donating large sums of money, and if they aren't, then I should resist the temptation to help my fellow human beings?

Australia is not just refusing to act, the bunch of twits in government actively discourage action on climate change, just look at what they did at the recent climate change conference. Suggesting we can take credits from the Kyoto accord when the Kyoto accord allowed Australia to increase emissions is clearly active blocking of action on climate change. We're not setting a good example or leading other countries, we are actively setting a bad example and trying to screw up agreements.

If Scott from Marketing doesn't want to cop this sort of crap then he shouldn't pull stunts like bringing coal into parliament. He is getting what he deserves. We were told years ago that the impact of climate change would be more severe bushfires, but Scott from Marketing is more interested in flogging coal and making cheap political points. He is not a leader and well beyond his capabilities and it shows.

DS

Not saying do nothing - by all means transition to a low carbon economy. But whatever activists say we are small emitters. If large emitters want to stop let them put their money where their mouth is and stop buying our coal. Until the we are open for business. This is a multi billion dollar industry!

Those that argue against man-made climate change are either outright dishonest for finaancial reasons, disengenous or useful idiots or all three.

Those that are the main contributors to climate change know this and they are the people financing the sowing of doubt to protect their industries and wealth.

Either way it really is not worth arguing against someone who is too dishonest or dim to engage in a serious debate. If facts and science are just something to argue against rather than utilise then you get the situation where poor souls quote articles from Breitbart or "Thoughthub" unironically.

I suppose the stupid and the dishonest will always be with us, I don't know if that will be a satisfactory answer to our grandkids in 20 years time when they say "WTF Grandpa"

Those that argue against man-made climate change are either outright dishonest for finaancial reasons, disengenous or useful idiots or all three.

Those that are the main contributors to climate change know this and they are the people financing the sowing of doubt to protect their industries and wealth.

Either way it really is not worth arguing against someone who is too dishonest or dim to engage in a serious debate. If facts and science are just something to argue against rather than utilise then you get the situation where poor souls quote articles from Breitbart or "Thoughthub" unironically.

I suppose the stupid and the dishonest will always be with us, I don't know if that will be a satisfactory answer to our grandkids in 20 years time when they say "WTF Grandpa"

You didn’t even read it. Most of the thoughts have been checked and confirmed by ABC, The Age or the Guardian.

I for one would love to see us reduce our emissions to zero and be a world leader.

What I don’t understand is how as a country we have allowed ourselves to be so under prepared for what has occurred. We need to be prepared and plan for fire events no matter out status of how good or badly we are tackling climate change. I hope in the future we are doing both very well.