Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Never said that, in fact I have pointed to inadequate responses to climate change from both the major parties, but that is clearly too nuanced and complex for your nice simple right wing world view.

DS

Maybe take a nuanced look back through the last few pages and tell me Morrison hasn't copped the brunt of the responses.

Don't think I've mentioned Diesel Dan Andrews once, even though bushfire prevention is a state remit.

This is mostly NSW info but found this interesting with regards to the claim that Greenies block preventative burning or clearing.

Of 1450 local councillors in NSW, around 48 are Green. Spread that out.

There are no regulations preventing people from clearing firebreaks around their homes.

“These are very tired and very old conspiracy theories that get a run after most major fires,” says Prof Ross Bradstock, the director of the centre for environmental risk management of bushfires at the University of Wollongong, who has been researching bushfires for 40 years.

Yes it's the Guardian but Bradstock is a world-renowned expert. Read what he has to say.

Let's tell the burning truth about bushfires and the ALP-Greens coalition

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...XxmFBCFpQjZZ_t5q51ftGuMOf57P4ilTL7NdqgkcYwsFA

Interesting read on how the certain people have *smile* it up

“Green tape and heavy-handed bureaucracy has made his job harder today than in 28 years as captain. Rather than needing six people to perform a controlled burn in the cooler months, now 40 are involved, to oversee biodiversity and so on”

Reactions: 2 users
Greenies protesting to stop back burning

“protests were a success, in reducing the burn from a planned 370 hectares down to only nine”

61945B7C-E07B-4D64-A2F3-83D2AE022719.jpeg

Safe to say the prevention of back burning didnt help.

Let's tell the burning truth about bushfires and the ALP-Greens coalition

Thanks for posting, but Miranda Divine is viewed in the same light as Andrew Bolt. She's perceived to be so extreme that people will not read her articles.

She got it right, though. It's up to country people to speak up and be heard. To choose whether they want to be green or safe. City-dwellers can't be expected to argue their case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No I'm not ignoring it. I've acknowledged that it's frequently thrown up as a reason. Happy to let the review get to the truth.

I'm just showing that there are other perspectives than are being given airtime in the media. You lot are determined to pin the entire thing on Morrison. The groupthink is frightening. But that's what universities breed nowadays.

Nope. It's been the lost decade on CC, renewables and an ETS. And a sustainable forestries and fire management system in the face of CC - or if you prefer, drought, hotter and drier seasons, El Nino and increased IOD.

All parties and society are culpable to some degree.

I blame Morrison for being a fossil fuel promoter and a CC denier whatever he claims now. I blame him for having no CC policy. I blame him for focussing on identity politics this year instead of the looming disaster he was warned about. I blame him for inept leadership and buck-passing. And now I blame him for making it into a PR promotions exercise for his own benefit.

I graduated from university a very long time ago and critical thinking is not a problem for me.

Never said that, in fact I have pointed to inadequate responses to climate change from both the major parties, but that is clearly too nuanced and complex for your nice simple right wing world view.

DS
Yes you lot have David, yes you have.
Ahh the elite come out to play......

Nope. It's been the lost decade on CC, renewables and an ETS. And a sustainable forestries and fire management system in the face of CC - or if you prefer, drought, hotter and drier seasons, El Nino and increased IOD.

I blame Morrison for being a fossil fuel promoter and a CC denier whatever he claims now. I blame him for having no CC policy. I blame him for focussing on identity politics this year instead of the looming disaster he was warned about. I blame him for inept leadership and buck-passing. And now I blame him for making it into a PR promotions exercise for his own benefit.

I graduated from university a very long time ago and critical thinking is not a problem for me.

Reckon you're focusing on forces we cannot control, while things we can and have regulated in the past are being neglected.

Thanks for posting, but Miranda Divine is viewed in the same light as Andrew Bolt. She's perceived to be so extreme that people will not read her articles.

She got it right, though. It's up to country people to speak up and be heard. To choose whether they want to be green or safe. City-dwellers can't be expected to argue their case.

And yet it's also those in the country who are angry. You can't push it all onto the latte-sippers.

Reckon you're focusing on forces we cannot control, while things we can and have regulated in the past are being neglected.

Having a CC policy, reducing reliance on fossil fuels, reducing emissions and increasing renewables is something that the Gillard government showed we absolutely can control.

And given the present future looks hotter and drier we also need better environment and fire management strategies too.

Reactions: 1 users
And yet it's also those in the country who are angry. You can't push it all onto the latte-sippers.

There are varying views and some are angry, sure. But they'll be burning a few times more before China and India pull back on CO2.

I stayed home from Caulfield today and gave my bank to the victims, a tidy sum. But if they are depending on reducing Australia's 1.3% CO2 x 3% human CO2 x 0.04% of the atmosphere to help them, I'll think twice next time.

Get organised and tell the government what you want.

There are varying views and some are angry, sure. But they'll be burning a few times more before China and India pull back on CO2.

I stayed home from Caulfield today and gave my bank to the victims, a tidy sum. But if they are depending on reducing Australia's 1.3% CO2 x 3% human CO2 x 0.04% of the atmosphere to help them, I'll think twice next time.

Get organised and tell the government what you want.

Good for you on Caulfield.

Problem with your way of critical thinking is Antman;
If Morrison had of played your playbook you are saying this wouldn't of happened.
You are scapegoating someone based on your political bias.
Disagree as much as you want, not even Winston Churchill could have stopped it.

And another thing on priorities while I'm in full rant mode.

This government spent $180 mill to reopen Christmas Island to imprison the Sri Lankan family with the two small girls from Queensland.

And we should be impressed they've dropped in $20 mill for extra planes for fighting this national disaster.

In what *smile*-up world does that make sense to anyone because I can't see it.

Problem with your way of critical thinking is Antman;
If Morrison had of played your playbook you are saying this wouldn't of happened.
You are scapegoating someone based on your political bias.
Disagree as much as you want, not even Winston Churchill could have stopped it.

Sorry HR, I've never said that for one moment. Not once. If Labor had got in we would have still had fires and maybe of the same severity, who knows. These fires have been a long time coming.

I blame people for their actions and decisions in the here and now.

And another thing on priorities while I'm in full rant mode.

This government spent $180 mill to reopen Christmas Island to imprison the Sri Lankan family with the two small girls from Queensland.

And we should be impressed they've dropped in $20 mill for extra planes for fighting this national disaster.

In what ******-up world does that make sense to anyone because I can't see it.
Is this CC thread going there Antman?

Sorry HR, I've never said that for one moment. Not once. If Labor had got in we would have still had fires and maybe of the same severity, who knows. These fires have been a long time coming.

I blame people for their actions and decisions in the here and now.
Just so i get it right, if Shorten was PM you would not be supportive of the vitriol and outlandish behaviour of certain elements on this forum? I just cannot see it from what i read.

Having a CC policy, reducing reliance on fossil fuels, reducing emissions and increasing renewables is something that the Gillard government showed we absolutely can control.

And given the present future looks hotter and drier we also need better environment and fire management strategies too.

I wasn't a fan of Gillard but you are absolutely right. They may have gone a bit over the top with the initial FIT for rooftop solar (I think it was somewhere around 35c), but the FIT really created a great economic case for investment. I built my house (I've now sold and rent since my marriage breakdown) and put solar on it, I missed the 35c FIT but got somewhere around 25-27c which was great.

I think it was the Abbot government that made significant changes to the FIT, at one point it dropped to 7c. So most solar energy is generated during the day when most people are at work, so the FIT is important. When it dropped to 7c, you were paying to generate energy which you would sell when you weren't home and then had to buy it back at 3 times the price when you were home. Hardly a great investment case. I'm not saying people need to make a lot from the FIT but at least matching wholesale rates makes a lot of sense.

Just so i get it right, if Shorten was PM you would not be supportive of the vitriol and outlandish behaviour of certain elements on this forum? I just cannot see it from what i read.

Point out anywhere I've said these fires wouldn't have happened without Morrison. You can't. I have no idea where you've pulled that from.

On Shorten, it would depend on what he did in the past year and what he would be doing right now. Given his history at Beaconsfield he showed he's not afraid to be at a site long term and really engage with locals.

He's got plenty of faults but I guarantee you he wouldn't be putting out paid party advertising to rehabilitate himself right now though.