Goal kicking accuracy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goal kicking accuracy

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
This was in todays HUN. We,re going at exactly 50% for our set shots . Our SCORING accuracy is very good 18 goals 9 behinds (66%) but our overall accuracy is ruined by the 9 misses (article doesn’t say if they are all OOBOTF).38DC3000-9587-417F-ACBC-96206F8C6E3C.jpeg

PREMIUM ON SET SHOTS

Jon Ralph - 360 VIEW
It was the Brodie Grundy observation that seemed as pointed as Josh Dunkley’s comment about a lack of pre-season running at Western Bulldogs.
Just moments after the Demons had booted a remarkably accurate 21.8 against Sydney, Grundy remarked that at Melbourne the club invested in its goalkicking.
“Since I have come across to Melbourne I have been blown away by how much time and energy we put into craft and in goal kicking in particular,” he told 3AW.
“‘Choco’ Williams runs that show and I have just been blown away with the pursuit of excellence in terms of goal kicking, so no surprise that we get that result today.”
Grundy should be thrilled – Melbourne has had 43 total set shots this year for 29.9 and five complete misses.
Hawthorn has had 33 total set shots for only 13.16 and four misses, a miserable accuracy rate of 39.4 per cent.
For the Demons, Ben Brown has 9.1 in total – 3.1 from set shots, Bailey Fritsch (6.1 – 3.0 from set shots), and Lachie Hunter, Charlie Spargo, Max Gawn and Clayton Oliver (all 2.0).
Collingwood actually leads the league in set shot accuracy with a remarkable 70.2 accuracy from set shots (33.9 and five total misses).
Brody Mihocek has nailed all six set shots, Jordan De Goey hasn’t missed from four chances, Mason Cox has 3.0, and Beau McCreery and Tom Mitchell have both kicked 2.0.
If not for Darcy Cameron (0.2) and Jamie Elliott (4.3) the Pies would barely have missed a set shot.
Melbourne’s renewed investment in goalkicking came after a mediocre 2022 that saw it kick 300.284, with totals including 9.22 (Richmond in round 6), 7.14 (Fremantle in round 11) and 16.21 (Brisbane in round 15).
Development coach Williams has been in charge of field kicking and skill acquisition for some time but this year took on the goalkicking responsibilities along with forwards coach Greg Stafford.
He is footy’s mad genius – obsessed with technique, routine and the science of the Sherrin, as Ed Langdon told the Herald Sun of his field kicking drills in 2021.
“It’s nothing technically speaking, I have always kicked the same way, but what Choco instils is a sense of calm when you are kicking,” Langdon said.
“There is a lot going on in AFL footy, and for that split second when you are kicking, you need to be as calm as you possibly can be.
“It’s about backing yourself in when you are kicking. He puts you under so much pressure at training, he starts yelling at you to put you in that position you could be on in the field, but the implication is that you are still calm and still manage to hit a target.”
This year 19 players have already had set shots with only Rivers and Langdon (both 0.1) not hitting the mark.
It is a small sample size but its 13.4 in a loss to Brisbane limited the percentage loss and boosted it in victories against the Bulldogs and Sydney.
When the Demons needed that accuracy more than ever in the 2021 finals series they responded with 19.11 against Geelong in the preliminary final and 10.3 in the second half of the grand final victory.
In a league where Carlton missed the finals by 0.6 of a percentage point last year it has never been more evident that every set shot matters.

I reckon the Eagles 2018 flag was off the back off accurate goal kicking. Kennedy is/was brilliant. Obviously Sheed's kick mattered. Darling's choking in GFs the reverse and could have cost them big time.

As much as we got screwed by that 7.5m pass against the Eagles in that mid season game that derailed our season - the kick for goal was brilliant.

So Collingwood have a great set shot record, then we denied them set shots, but we are lucky they didnt kick straight against us?

Reactions: 2 users
Jon Ralph seems like a very nice fellow. Mathematics he don't. Logic he don't.

Goal kicking accuracy by team will be a function of opposition pressure or lack of it in the main and crucially a function of tall forward supremacy.

If a side is harried when sending the ball in it will be less likely to get clean shots in good areas. (Low accuracy.)

If a side gets clean use I50 targets will present in good areas and mark, score.

If a side gets the outnumber on the break (always through turnover) it will Joe the Goose infallibly.

If a side has a supreme tall forward he will catch it in dangerous areas given half a chance. Tom J Lynch is best at this.

Individual players have goal kicking accuracy that is rarely changed through practice after... 18yo? 25yo? Working dangerous areas improves goal kicking efficiency. Bravo to the geniuses who can improve in any area.

Oils aren’t oils. There are set shots at goal, set shots from acute angles, and there
are snaps. The stats need to be broken down.
I do feel that overall set shots at goal accuracy has not improved as players become more professional

Oils aren’t oils. There are set shots at goal, set shots from acute angles, and there
are snaps. The stats need to be broken down.
I do feel that overall set shots at goal accuracy has not improved as players become more professional

Expected score does a good job of this. Last year on expected score we beat north Melbourne by six goals. We missed sitters and they hit shots from 55m on the flanks under pressure.