Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Some good stories guys.

Tiger's got Norman covered with his irons, but give me Greg everyday off the tee.

Tiger's the best I've seen, his scrambling is/was unbelievable.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Some good stories guys.

Tiger's got Norman covered with his irons, but give me Greg everyday off the tee.

Tiger's the best I've seen, his scrambling is/was unbelievable.
Greg is the best driver, Tiger is the best putter, and Jack is the best player (easily).

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Good to see Westwood on top of the leaderboard, I’m guessing it’s been a while for him ? How’s the following pack DeChamebau, Bradley and Spieth , now there’s a group you might be late to the tee for

Actually don’t mind Speith, he just never shuts up

Spieth is apparently an ok guy but he just does not shut up. His caddie deserves 30% extra for having to listen to him all day.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Anyone know anything about this Players series that’s on fox ?

Also does anyone know what’s going on with Steve Bowditch ? Now that’s one of the most talented golfers we’ve produced

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Anyone know anything about this Players series that’s on fox ?

Also does anyone know what’s going on with Steve Bowditch ? Now that’s one of the most talented golfers we’ve produced

That’s the thing they played at Rosebud the other week. Men and women competing for the same prize money and order of merit, plus they let junior amateurs play in their own comp too.

Justin Rose. Wow. 3 balls in a row into the water.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
That’s the thing they played at Rosebud the other week. Men and women competing for the same prize money and order of merit, plus they let junior amateurs play in their own comp too.

Justin Rose. Wow. 3 balls in a row into the water.
See Andrew Martin had 4 eagles in the final round, I think 3 in a row

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Seriously, my girlfriend just asked me if Fleetwood was the same guy from Fleetwood Mac.

Ffs. Geez it’s hard being a bloke some times.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Seriously, my girlfriend just asked me if Fleetwood was the same guy from Fleetwood Mac.

Fair call I say from Mrs Rudeford , Tommy does have that 70s 80s hair band appearance.

Is it the Uspga tour crowd or the Australian open tennis crowd that have the most cringeworthy crowds ?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I can't decide if someone busting it 377 yards is fun and exciting or whether we have a problem in golf. The ole debate about power and excitement v equipment and making courses redundant or constantly being overpowered by a few, plus other elements of the game maybe going by the wayside a bit.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
For me, the thing is DeChambeau wins because he putts well. Watching him yesterday he was putting seriously well. He had quite a few long putts that missed by a bee's member. He easily could have won by 5.

Having said that I think you can make an argument that what he does putting is anchoring and illegal, but that's a different kettle of fish.

He certainly putted well in the final round but overall, putting isn't his "1 Wood" to use a pun. He's 65th this year in SG Putting on Tour and was 21st overall in the Arnold Palmer. (He was 10th last year overall though on Tour so certainly a good putter.)

But, he was number 1 for SG Driving last year on Tour and is number 1 this year as well. He was number 1 again at Bay Hill. That's his biggest strength. He totally over powered both the Rocket Mortgage (2nd for SG Driving) and US Open (3rd for SG Driving) which he both won last year as well.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Sticking with the music theme,
"Sometimes it's hard to be a woman, givin' all your love to just one man" ;)

I wonder how long DeChambeau's body holds up hitting the ball the way he does.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Sorry, meant to say when he wins it's because he putts well. The US Open was a good example, he won largely because of his putter getting hot on Sunday.

Distance wise, he's got about 30 yards on the average drive and 50 odd on the last place guy. It's a nice advantage to have but hitting a 7 iron instead of a wedge isn't the be all and end all given most pros are going to stick both of them.

Usually anyone who wins has to putt well. And he did on Sunday and also throughout the tournament. And he's pretty good too week to week year to year.

Yeah I dunno. At that level, 7 iron to wedge is actually still a huge difference. Big difference with proximity to the hole and subsequent putts made. It especially comes into play if you are missing a fairway i.e. better to miss a fairway and be in the rough with a wedge in than a 7 iron in. Huge difference in that scenario coming out of thick rough.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Takes us back to the original point about the rough actually advantaging a guy like Dechambeau.

With the PGA tour obsession with protecting par I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing courses being made absolutely farcical with wide landing areas and lighter rough 285 yards out and postage stamps and knee high cuts at 320. They will start making them hit an extra green on each par 4 and par 5.

It's the USGA (I'm a member) that has the par obsession - not so much the PGA Tour.

They (USGA) found out years ago (after Norman told them that they had it all wrong), that growing ankle high rough around the greens just made it easier for people like Norman and co i.e. being closer to the green .....and that they'd be better off having short cut grass that made the ball run a mile away from the green and forced players to make longer chips and pitches onto quick hard greens than giving them up close chips from rough.

To that end, yeah you might start to see them go the other way with fairway rough and have the ball run into the tree line instead.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Sticking with the music theme,
"Sometimes it's hard to be a woman, givin' all your love to just one man" ;)

I wonder how long DeChambeau's body holds up hitting the ball the way he does.
Yeh, he’s not having a long career swinging that way.
And unfortunately he’s got the charisma of navel lint so hope he’s not winning too much.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The most common thing I used to always hear about old courses becoming obsolete was to stop the ball going so far. An old PGA mate of mine who has also caddied for world class golfers has banged on about it for years , stop the ball going so far and the game will be better at the highest level.

I haven’t played for a couple of years , however the distance the pro v was going compared to your old billy balata was just crazy

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The most common thing I used to always hear about old courses becoming obsolete was to stop the ball going so far. An old PGA mate of mine who has also caddied for world class golfers has banged on about it for years , stop the ball going so far and the game will be better at the highest level.

I haven’t played for a couple of years , however the distance the pro v was going compared to your old billy balata was just crazy

Well, who do you think has been saying this for over twenty years Burnside and petitioning the USGA and R&A regularly ? That’s right Burnside. Golf’s greatest player ...and smartest.

Jack.

Now get with the program before I start classifying you in the jbdumb03 category of PRE posters !!