Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Well, who do you think has been saying this for over twenty years Burnside and petitioning the USGA and R&A regularly ? That’s right Burnside. Golf’s greatest player ...and smartest.

Jack.

Now get with the program before I start classifying you in the jbdumb03 of PRE posters !!
:)) How would Jack know he sees about as well as Ray Charles

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
:)) How would Jack know he sees about as well as Ray Charles

You can talk Colonel Sanders. You can’t event hit the right buttons on the remote.

The last version of the golf ball before the Pro V1 was released was about the right level for performance maximum, I thought.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Can’t remember the exact name , however titleist had a very good ball that lasted well, spun as well as good distance, wasn’t too long after the pro v blew the game apart, bit like the 2 ball putter at the time, couldn’t get enough of them.

There was a precept ball around the same time that had very good distance , bit of a harder less feel shell, but it spun ridiculously

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Can’t remember the exact name , however titleist had a very good ball that lasted well, spun as well as good distance, wasn’t too long after the pro v blew the game apart, bit like the 2 ball putter at the time, couldn’t get enough of them.

There was a precept ball around the same time that had very good distance , bit of a harder less feel shell, but it spun ridiculously

Thats the DT-90 ?

Precept Tour.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Thats the DT-90 ?

Precept Tour.
No the DTs were rubbish, they had that surlyn cover a bit like the precept , it could have been the precept tour edition . The Titleist was the Professional , good pill

it was the precept tour prestige , probably got a few boxes of them in the cupboard if you want a bit more bite out of the rough

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The new balls are insane. Hit the worst, bladey, low 6 iron tonight on a par 3 that only just got over the top of the bunkers. Landed on a hard slopey green with not much width, 8 feet feet from the pin and then stopped 3 feet away.

20 years ago that would have landed in the bunker or, if it didn’t, it would have skimmed completely through the other side of the green by 40 feet.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Yep, even the so called distance balls back in the day didn’t get anywhere near the carry the balls get now. I’m not sure irons in general go any further today then the original cavity back ping eye 2s , Club manufacture’s have just been delofting the irons over the years , what was once a 5 iron is now the same loft as a 7 iron , plus most clubs are an inch or so longer now too

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yep, even the so called distance balls back in the day didn’t get anywhere near the carry the balls get now. I’m not sure irons in general go any further today then the original cavity back ping eye 2s , Club manufacture’s have just been delofting the irons over the years , what was once a 5 iron is now the same loft as a 7 iron , plus most clubs are an inch or so longer now too
Yep. I pulled out my old 2011 Mizuno’s 6 months ago and they go as far as my 2019 Titleist CB’s. But with more feel.

Big diff with carry though is off the tee. The modern day driver-ball combo is just another galaxy compared to 20 years ago. Even 10 years ago. The method of hitting it with the driver is all different now too, in order to maximise the benefits. Hit it more on the up, less spin. Goes further. Even if you get it high up on the club face. Goes further than a lower more solidly hit shot. Insane.

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Don’t worry about the dog , picked these beauties up at the tip, next time I go for a trundle I’ll be taking these , will be using a pro v ;)
33325D27-4F13-4621-AB44-C53804FDB531.jpeg

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I've always thought the pro tour should include one event each year where they play a course using the same equipment as another year when the course hosted a major event.

Ie the 1973 US Open was played at Oakmont so match the gear, set the course up as close as they can and let them loose.
Could be a great charity event, be interesting to see what the manufacturers came up with in building new old gear.

I used to play a lot of golf with just 5 clubs, that makes the game a lot more interesting

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I've always thought the pro tour should include one event each year where they play a course using the same equipment as another year when the course hosted a major event.

Ie the 1973 US Open was played at Oakmont so match the gear, set the course up as close as they can and let them loose.

Interesting idea. I like it.

I’ve been to Oakmont. Watched 7 days of the US Open there. That would be awesome to see something like that on a course like that.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I can never decide if I love the 17th or hate it, but round one was ridiculous. Solid shots hitting the green in good spots and still going in the drink.

If they don't soften it up a bit day four will see blokes trying to hit it on the bridge.
It’s just a typical tricked up Dye course. There’s some good holes but a lot of garbage too. It’s in magnificent condition though.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Pretty exciting tournament underway at The Players.

Jeez If Westwood had been a better putter he'd be a multiple major winner. Such a wonderful, consistent ball striker. Same with Garcia, in the big moments they just seem to miss more makeable putts than others.

Jeez I hope he (or anyone) beats the big show tomorrow.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Pretty exciting tournament underway at The Players.

Jeez If Westwood had been a better putter he'd be a multiple major winner. Such a wonderful, consistent ball striker. Same with Garcia, in the big moments they just seem to miss more makeable putts than others.

Jeez I hope he (or anyone) beats the big show tomorrow.
Yet they’ve both been stellar performers, along with Poulter, at Ryder Cup level. Team game seems to suit the three of them.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Yet they’ve both been stellar performers, along with Poulter, at Ryder Cup level. Team game seems to suit the three of them.
If they could putt like Poulter they'd be superstars!

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Just heard Westwood has made his last 48 putts (last 2 events) inside 5 feet!

Sergio has missed 5 putts inside 5 feet this week!