Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Strange chick. Goes through caddies like having breakfast. Think she’s on about her 12th caddie since going pro.

Quick greens at our place right now. Hard and quick. Must be about 13 to 14 on the stimp. Playing beyond the hole to let it roll back sort of stuff.
Could that have something to do with her parents? I read a while go that they are very controlling.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Could that have something to do with her parents? I read a while go that they are very controlling.

Maybe. A lot of parents are very controlling. Years ago I played with a young current LPGA TOUR player - when she was about 15 or 16 (she wore glasses back then). Her dad caddied for her and carried on like it was the British Open. It was just a Saturday stableford comp. I used to see her on the range every single time I was there - lovely polite girl. And of course her dad was there with her making her hit an insane amount of balls for a young girl. One time she started crying because it was late during daylight savings - maybe 8.30 - and she’d been there for hours. She just wanted to go home. But her dad wouldn’t let her go home.

It’s a bit sad but unfortunately you see quite a bit of it.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Maybe. A lot of parents are very controlling. Years ago I played with a young current LPGA TOUR player - when she was about 15 or 16 (she wore glasses back then). Her dad caddied for her and carried on like it was the British Open. It was just a Saturday stableford comp. I used to see her on the range every single time I was there - lovely polite girl. And of course her dad was there with her making her hit an insane amount of balls for a young girl. One time she started crying because it was late during daylight savings - maybe 8.30 - and she’d been there for hours. She just wanted to go home. But her dad wouldn’t let her go home.

It’s a bit sad but unfortunately you see quite a bit of it.
I know all sports have the pushy parent syndrome, however golf has to be the worst , so many mums and dads are after the early retirement, sad fact is most kids end up giving the game away . The Korean golf factory was crazy , not sure if it still is , kids wouldnt have a life outside of golf.

I wasnt big on doing clinics , great cash maker , but unless your a pure beginner, waste of time, however that’s where you get the first sign ofthe pushy parent, Id always try and get them to *smile* off and go get a latte

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I know all sports have the pushy parent syndrome, however golf has to be the worst , so many mums and dads are after the early retirement, sad fact is most kids end up giving the game away . The Korean golf factory was crazy , not sure if it still is , kids wouldnt have a life outside of golf.

I wasnt big on doing clinics , great cash maker , but unless your a pure beginner, waste of time, however that’s where you get the first sign ofthe pushy parent, Id always try and get them to *smile* off and go get a latte

Golf is one of the worst. Pretty lucky at our club - there's not too many 'over invested' parents. The few who are though, are a complete pain in the arse. Constantly badgering the pro during lessons, constantly on the range with their kid, constantly out on the course with them, following them around during pennant practice and getting into the ear of the team manager etc etc. The kids end up developing a bit of an attitude from it all. Some of them just don't shut up about themselves. A few weeks ago I saw one of these parents ask a member to move from the bay he was in on the practice range so that his 14 y.o. kid could use the angle on the range that he wanted ! Hah hah hah....old bloke was a bit stunned but said "yeah ok". I would have told this dhead parent to "get a grip" - to use a pun - if it was me.

The best kids, the ones who have their egos in check, and often turn out to be the better golfers are the ones whose parents drop them off, pick them up, and otherwise let the pro teach them, and let the kid play and enjoy the bloody sport.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Forgot all about the COVID side of it , how is the National ? Love the old course , best course for a 4b with mates
Played again yesterday, much easier than Friday with cool temp and light winds.

It's in pretty much mint condition, actually never played it in poor condition in the last 25 years.

The only issue I have is the layout change. 15/16/17/18 was a great quartet of finishing holes. They are now 2-5. The 16th from the back tees is a thing of beauty and terror. The 18th now is probably the weakest hole on the course.

So many great holes, it really should be ranked higher in the annual top 100 list IMO. I love Victoria but the old is a significantly more challenging and interesting course.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Played again yesterday, much easier than Friday with cool temp and light winds.

It's in pretty much mint condition, actually never played it in poor condition in the last 25 years.

The only issue I have is the layout change. 15/16/17/18 was a great quartet of finishing holes. They are now 2-5. The 16th from the back tees is a thing of beauty and terror. The 18th now is probably the weakest hole on the course.

So many great holes, it really should be ranked higher in the annual top 100 list IMO. I love Victoria but the old is a significantly more challenging and interesting course.
Last time I played it was the new layout, I agree much better the old way

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How many members does National have ? Are they still trying to buy Huntingdale or has that train departed permanently ?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
How many members does National have ? Are they still trying to buy Huntingdale or has that train departed permanently ?
I'm not a member there, played with a member. Maybe one day when I'm old and kids are older, its a stunning set of courses and facility.

Pretty sure no longer any discussions with Huntingdale. I thought the latest was a discussion with Metro but I may have dreamt that.

Not sure how many members there are, I read in Golf digest around 3200. My mate who bought a membership 6 months ago (I think a class c share) got me on. Have also played Long Island which is on OK track too. Would need to be playing 2-3 times a week to justify price.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Augusta apparently hard and fast conditions. Should bring the Aussies right into contention. Forecast is mid to high twenties most days. Chance of thunderstorms.

Hoping for an Aussie win. Think Rory has a great shot.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Adam Scott at $61 is good value, he normally plays pretty well at Augusta.
Has got a new driver which he used at the Honda Classic, finished T13. He is playing with that schmuck DeChambeau.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Cam Smith should be there about’ s again, I hope
He tees off in the final pairing on the first day with Speith. Not sure that timeslot is the best for scoring although playing with Speith would be fun!

Speith must have a huge show as well. He has played the Masters 7 times and finished 1, T2 twice, 3rd, T11, T21 & T46. An amazing record. Shows you you simply need a dynamite short game and a creative bent to do well at Augusta as his driving is all over the place..

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
He tees off in the final pairing on the first day with Speith. Not sure that timeslot is the best for scoring although playing with Speith would be fun!

Speith must have a huge show as well. He has played the Masters 7 times and finished 1, T2 twice, 3rd, T11, T21 & T46. An amazing record. Shows you you simply need a dynamite short game and a creative bent to do well at Augusta as his driving is all over the place..
Good thing is he won’t have a huge wait between rounds

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Rory is an attractive price, Jazz.

Multi into Richmond makes three figures.
Love to see Rory win.

5 years today I was at Augusta, was only in Augusta for 12 hours , flew into Atlanta from NYC at midnight, got on a bus down to Augusta at 4 am , left Augusta at 4pm and flew to Chicago .

As everyone knows it’s a must to see if you haven’t been there, just so cool to be walking around, if you ever get the chance go on a practice day, so much easier to see the actual course. As soon as the rope drops head to the back nine , most hang around the first tee to see players , it’s also great because you can take photos, condition is awesome but no better then Metro, it’s funny how many shitty little bushes tha5 are out of character that are in the tree line . A must do is buy a cheese and pimento sandwich, take a bit, throw it in the bin , it is crap, like eating toothpaste .

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Adam Scott at $61 is good value, he normally plays pretty well at Augusta.
Has got a new driver which he used at the Honda Classic, finished T13. He is playing with that schmuck DeChambeau.

A good group to watch then and hoping for lots of Scott birdies and Bryson bogies

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Changed my mind. Now that I've finished working on Mr Burnside's chipping at the world renowned Redford P. Reds Academy of Golf, I'm going with him to win at $1000-1.

It was hard work (slow learner) but the new baseball grip I've given him finally seems to be working. Watch out !

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Changed my mind. Now that I've finished working on Mr Burnside's chipping at the world renowned Redford P. Reds Academy of Golf, I'm going with him to win at $1000-1.

It was hard work (slow learner) but the new baseball grip I've given him finally seems to be working. Watch out !
Very hard to have a good short game when you don’t miss greens .

Watching the old Masters on fox , can’t get over how bad the spike marks used to be , cost me many a tournament :cool: