Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hovland finished birdie, eagle, birdie to have a share of the lead. He smoked his driver on the par 4 17.......... on for one and drained the eagle put.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A good up and down for par on 17 by Rory. Hovland and Bland in the clubhouse on -12.
Rory 12 under playing the par 5 18th, a birdie and he wins.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Hovland almost my favourite player in world. What a talent

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Watching Scott, you always think he’s one missed putt away from unravelling - right from the 1st to the 18th.

He is a terrible putter from inside 10 feet. Just terrible. 166th last year on Tour.
Sorry, busy weekend. Couldn't even catch up with both big Euro and US tour events until today but followed scores to an extent. But I think Scott has never faced up to his putting problems. Years ago when they outlawed the anchoring of the long putter and so he went back to the short-stick again, I remember him claiming that he was never that bad at it. But wasn't too long before he went back to the long one; that only a handful of other pros use.

Personally, I think if you have to resort to that for putting, it's an admission of defeat. It also amazes me that a life-long, successful pro like him has never managed to make lasting improvements/adjustments with his putting. All that practice, money, coaching available? It has to be in his head. As Faldo was saying in Farmers' tourney commentary, several pros have done so e.g. cited B. Langer as initially awful (although uses the broomstick now, I think).

Still, pleased to see Adam is still getting top-10s lately, although on ET.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I remember a few years ago Paul Gow saying that the real issue for Scott wasnt his putting so much but the pressure his wedge game put on his putting. He reckoned he left himself way too many long putts after a wedge and called his wedge play sub standard for the PGA Tour. He reckoned he wouldn’t be faced with so many 10 footers if he got more wedges closer to the pin. Too much pressure.

Scott was 193rd for distance from the pin from 50 to 125 yards out last year.
Wanted to respond to this one too. Really interesting analysis and proof. Would never have thought he was that bad. That's another damning stat for AS.

Sheesh, it's a wonder he's made so much $$$ out of the game. I've always followed him to an extent though because he seems to have a decent personality, but that swing! It's a thing of beauty at his best, quite long and straight.

Suspect he's switched to the Euro tour to escape the insane competitiveness of the US tour. He's desperately looking for some wins perhaps now (or maybe it's just to be closer to his family with Covid hassles, not sure).

Whatever, he is competitive but cannot seem to fire in a hot final round when the pressure is on. Always blows it with an untimely couple of bogeys just when he looms into range of the leaders. Best days are probably behind him.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Day, just holed out to equal the lead.
Did the same in an earlier round too. Great to see him back able to compete, managing his back problems and as he stated, playing free of pain for the first time in years.

However, the JD of his peak/heyday 3/4 years ago would have won this by a few shots with those 2 hole-outs. He couldn't really attack with that 'back-fear' in his mind IMO. Struggled at the end, missing the green short by about 30m on the Par-3 16th, just after he made it to co-leader. And then there's his swing change from a usual draw to a fade. Hard to have total confidence in your control at the crunch end I'd say.

Anyway, my fave Aussie player for years and really hope he can make it back to around 80/90% as good as he was at his best. Might still be a contender in some tournaments.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I tend to follow the Euro tour more than the PGA, probably because I tend to dislike many of the PGA stars.

Like most of the big Euro players Tyrell Hatton, McIlroy, Hovland, Poulter, Lowry, Casey, Fleetwood. Garcia is about the only exception.

PGA wise, I don't mind Dechambeau, respect him trying to find new ways to play the game. The likes of Rahm, Thomas, Speith, Johnson, Koepka, Reed leave me cold as personalities. Much prefer the Aussie guys and Asian guys are always good to watch.
Since only really got into Kayo subscription last year and watched a lot of golf (especially when Tigers dropped off) I really started to appreciate the Euro tour far more. I find it really interesting to see the widely differing courses and locations throughout Europe, SA and ME. Similar but to a lesser degree in the US; some courses seem like good municipal park courses. 'Dartboard' golf I think they dubbed it years ago.

Also enjoy the ET commentary team far more; inject a far better sense of humour along with discerning comments. US coverage excessive following of their big name players to detriment of other contenders going unnoticed until suddenly a threat. I like the great variety of nationalities competing on the ET with some very promising youngsters too such as the Hoejgaard twins, some SAs too.

As far as players go, mostly agree except not DeChump. Some of the lesser name and younger US players are fine. Following an Aussie of Asian background with interest too. Min Woo Lee - much like L. Herbert - might just have the game to become a contender.

Otherwise have high hopes resting on Cam Smith, along with Leish, a revitalised Jason Day and Adam Scott.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Since only really got into Kayo subscription last year and watched a lot of golf (especially when Tigers dropped off) I really started to appreciate the Euro tour far more. I find it really interesting to see the widely differing courses and locations throughout Europe, SA and ME. Similar but to a lesser degree in the US; some courses seem like good municipal park courses. 'Dartboard' golf I think they dubbed it years ago.

Also enjoy the ET commentary team far more; inject a far better sense of humour along with discerning comments. US coverage excessive following of their big name players to detriment of other contenders going unnoticed until suddenly a threat. I like the great variety of nationalities competing on the ET with some very promising youngsters too such as the Hoejgaard twins, some SAs too.

As far as players go, mostly agree except not DeChump. Some of the lesser name and younger US players are fine. Following an Aussie of Asian background with interest too. Min Woo Lee - much like L. Herbert - might just have the game to become a contender.

Otherwise have high hopes resting on Cam Smith, along with Leish, a revitalised Jason Day and Adam Scott.
The commentary on the Euro tour leaves the US tour for dead too.