Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The commentary on the Euro tour leaves the US tour for dead too.
Speaking of which, how many times did Faldo and co. go on about how Zalatoris had added an inch to his driver and was bombing it longer than anyone, only for Day to hit it past him half the time ?

And then, only going about how Day has had to alter his swing because of his bad back ?

Ffs….

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The commentary around Zalatoris is equal parts annoying and weird.

Last year they were obsessed with his tiny waist, now it was bulking up and driver distance. Yet they barely mentioned in passing he was number 1 in the field from tee and from fairway and number 59 in putting which turned out to be the key to the tournament.

Even though he gives me PTSD I reckon Faldo is pretty insightful generally, his call on where to place the ball on 18 was a good example but the overall coverage is weak.

Euro tour commentary smashes them, once you get past all the nonsense Radar Riley has an amazing ability to sum up how a shot will play out.
Faldo is annoying. Just bearable but annoying.

It’s when he tries to be funny is where it all goes wrong - using that corny 70’s British humour eg using a Cockney accent etc.

The best golf commentator/analyst in the world for a long time now barely gets a mention but is by far and away the most balanced, fair, informative and easy listening.

Judy Rankin. Legend.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Faldo is annoying. Just bearable but annoying.

It’s when he tries to be funny is where it all goes wrong - using that corny 70’s British humour eg using a Cockney accent etc.

The best golf commentator/analyst in the world for a long time now barely gets a mention but is by far and away the most balanced, fair, informative and easy listening.

Judy Rankin. Legend.
I don't mind Frank Nobilo either.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
So can you fill us in on what actually happened? Sounds like it could be funny but know nothing about.
It was at the World Matchplay a few years ago. Jimenez was playing Bradley. They were on 18 and Bradley sprayed his tee shot. He asked a rules official for relief. Jimenez came over and questioned the ball drop which he has every right to do. Bradley was agitated. Bradley’s caddy had words with Jimenez and the Mechanic told him to shut up. Bradley went beserk at Jimenez, got in his face etc. Bradley and his caddy went on with it again on the green after.

Jimenez probably didn’t need to tell the caddy to shut up but the caddy wasn’t too polite himself. And in the end it was Bradley who had the meltdown and came out on the wrong end of most pundits view of it all. Apparently he can be a bit if a *smile* and maybe he proved it a bit. Anyway.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A question.

You're playing in the golf club championship tournament finals and the match is halved at the end of 17 holes.
You have the honour and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin.
Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway.

Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball.
Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't find it in time, I'll concede the match."
You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin.
About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!".

The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.
Now here is the ethical dilemma:.......
Do you pull the cheating bastard's ball out of your pocket and confront him with it or do you keep your mouth shut?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
A question.

You're playing in the golf club championship tournament finals and the match is halved at the end of 17 holes.
You have the honour and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin.
Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway.

Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball.
Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: "Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don't find it in time, I'll concede the match."
You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin.
About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: "I found it!".

The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.
Now here is the ethical dilemma:.......
Do you pull the cheating bastard's ball out of your pocket and confront him with it or do you keep your mouth shut?
Well Tigerman - does whatever a Tiger can - you only have 3 minutes to find the ball so if you didn’t find it and pick it up before then, it doesn’t matter anyway. Lost ball !!!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The Peb !!! You beauty. Love this tournament. What a great part of the world.

Not the strongest of fields though it looks. Ok, but certainly not anywhere near the quality from last week. Daniel Berger to go well I think.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Monterrey Peninsula course looks good.

Smith still going well in Saudi Arabia. Tied for second with this Anus guy from Spain.

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Took my new “Stealth” out for a spin yesterday, ive gone for the middle more forgiving head with hazardous X flex shaft . It’s certainly different to anything I’ve hit before , love the more traditional shape of the head , has a plastic type feel of the face , Woking the ball is a little hard to feel of the face , it’s as if ball has gone before you can react , smoked a couple, got great flight and would think it’s as long as my Ping G425if not longer , the most surprising feature was the miss hits , ball still travelled to approximately where a normal drive would be , overall think it’s bloody good.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Took my new “Stealth” out for a spin yesterday, ive gone for the middle more forgiving head with hazardous X flex shaft . It’s certainly different to anything I’ve hit before , love the more traditional shape of the head , has a plastic type feel of the face , Woking the ball is a little hard to feel of the face , it’s as if ball has gone before you can react , smoked a couple, got great flight and would think it’s as long as my Ping G425if not longer , the most surprising feature was the miss hits , ball still travelled to approximately where a normal drive would be , overall think it’s bloody good.
So, bottom line: you’re reaching the longer par 3’s off the tee now ?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Good to see the evergreen Richard Green sharing the lead after the 3rd round of the TPS at Rosebud. Has always been a favourite of mine, good to see the old dog showing the young pups a thing or two.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What a classic, Harold Varner while talking to one of the rules officials, just said to him puck, you scared the sh!t out of me, god damn. It was in a jocular manner.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What a classic, Harold Varner while talking to one of the rules officials, just said to him puck, you scared the sh!t out of me, god damn. It was in a jocular manner.
Funny you mention that. Just been reading how on the PGA Tour the players have been resisting mics and web cams etc on their clothes, bags etc in response to the Tour’s media rights business model which the players reckon earns the Tour billions but for which the players get left out of. For example, Mickelson reckons some company paid the Tour $3.5m to use 7 seconds of him playing at the US Masters - which is more than he got for winning the thing.

Trouble might be brewing on the Tour.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Funny you mention that. Just been reading how on the PGA Tour the players have been resisting mics and web cams etc on their clothes, bags etc in response to the Tour’s media rights business model which the players reckon earns the Tour billions but for which the players get left out of. For example, Mickelson reckons some company paid the Tour $3.5m to use 7 seconds of him playing at the US Masters - which is more than he got for winning the thing.

Trouble might be brewing on the Tour.
It certainly looks like it, and the Great White Shark has got his teeth into it.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Varner at it again talking to another rules official said he wanted a 2nd another opinion. He said said to him your fine but I've been ****** over before. I like the man.