Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

He was due. Long overdue really.
Not really, he wasn't as overdue as a lot of other first time winners. He's only 25 and has only played just over 60 tournaments on the US PGA tour. There's about 130 odd tee it off each week.

Surprised Cantlay didn't get it done today. For a guy who is usually pretty cool he blew chance after chance.
Cantlay is a great player, a slight query I have of late is his putting, if you're not up you're not in.
Scheffler beat Rahm in the singles of the Ryder Cup and this is his first win on the PGA tour. I'm a ma$$ive fan and reckon he'll go right on with it from now on.

The Hot Shoe Scheffler. Good on him.

Tell you what, that Cupcakes Koepka was lucky they were playing a sparsely tree lined course and his putter was working otherwise he’d have shot 80 the way he sprayed it around.

Reactions: 1 user
This has most probably already been done on this thread, but I would love to hear everyone’s golf history. Introduction to game, influences, favourite courses, memberships, greatest achievements/memories etc etc etc.

Mine is quite a long story, so bear with me. I was a keen sportsman as a kid, playing AFL, cricket and tennis predominately.
Every school holidays I would stay with my grandparents on their fruit farm just outside of Swan Hill. My grandmother was a keen golfer, and I would caddy for her every Wednesday in the ladies comp. Once finished, and the old ducks were in the clubhouse sipping tea and scoffing scones, I would take her sticks out and play a few holes. I quickly developed a love for the game, and soon enough I was spraying balls from her backyard down into the apricot tree lined paddock, 6 or 8 at a time, then jumping on a 4-wheel motorbike to hunt and retrieve the balls, and start the process all over again.

For whatever reason my dad also owned a set of clubs, why I don’t know as he never played. But I was hooked , and I conned my parents into taking me to the local course (Camperdown, Western Victoria) every Sunday morning for the junior 9 hole comp. I reckon I was around 10 years old at this stage.

So I kept this going for a few years, also playing after school every now and then. It’s funny looking back, but those little milestones make me laugh now. Breaking 70, then 60, then 50 shots for 9 holes seemed like great achievements!

Finally at 15 years old it was time to get a handicap and join the Saturday mens competition. Handed in my 5 scorecards and got allotted 27. But my first round as a handicapped golfer was to be a pairs event with my grandmother, which was fitting as she was the one to introduce me to the game. I played appallingly.

By the next year I was down to a 18 handicap, and qualified in C grade for the club championships. Played over 2 consecutive days in match play, I somehow managed to win my 2 matches to take the crown. I suppose my name is still on the honourboard in the clubhouse to this day, but who knows???

Got my handicap down to 12 by my early twenties, but couldn’t get it any lower. I think I hit 11 for one week, but had a shocker when I did and it was back to 12 again the next week I had reached my peak level as a golfer it seemed.

Then I decided on a sea change, moved to Brisbane and just stopped playing. Probably didn’t pick up a stick for 10 years.

But eventually I got back into it, but only casually. Even now I only play once every 2 months. Good courses up here, North Lakes was great before closing, and the Greg Norman designed Brookwater is a personal favourite.

My greatest golf memory isn’t a round, or a shot I played. It was walking onto the grounds of Augusta for the first time back in 2014. A lifelong dream fulfilled, I dreaded it being a letdown,as I had wanted to go there since being a kid. But despite the heightened expectations I was blown away. It is something I hope every golf fan gets to do in their lifetime.

well that’s me, I’m an average golfer that just loves the game.

Hope others share their history etc too

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Great story Mopsy

I was lucky enough to grow up next door to the golf club in Warragul and was introduced to the game at an early age, although I didn't really start to appreciate it until mid high school when I found other people my age playing. I managed to get my handicap down to about 6 by the age of 18 but stopped playing regularly in my 20's as I moved permanently to Melbourne for uni and the city life took hold, rendering weekends primarily to parties and recovering. plus losing the luxury of a course next door was somewhat demotivating. I also had the preception, and probably correctly at the time, that golf memberships in the city were too expensive for me and didn't really look into memberships in depth until the last couple of years. I've gathered since that there are financial incentives to join at an earlier age these days.

A few years back I managed to swag a job in the golf industry and this reinvigorated my love of playing, and late last year I finally committed to joining a Melbourne-based golf club. The membership certainly hasn't been cheap but I think its been a good move to join as I've been loving playing on the regular again, plus the course is just down the road from the office which makes it good for twilight golf. I'm into a handicap of 5 and keen on making my way to scratch if I can make it and perhaps crack into the local pennant team, but it's a competitive field from what I've seen.

I couldn't recommend learning how to play golf highly enough, it literally is the game for life and it's never too late to take it up. There is a local bloke back in Warragul who is 97 years young and still gets around for his weekly game on Tuesdays. I've also known people who have taken up the game and within 12 months they're into scratch so you never know.

Personally I think the key to the game is the left hand grip (for a RH player) as it allows you to hinge your wrists correctly, not only at the top of the backswing, but also for touch around the greens with chipping and pitching. I'm not a long hitter but I'm confident that even if I miss the green I can chip/pitch it close enough to make a par and i credit that with a good LH grip - that and a lot of practice when i was younger!

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't play as a kid, played a bit with a few mates in my late teens, but not all that regularly and we certainly weren't serious.

Got a residential job in the north west of Wa, the courses were no good so didn't play for about 15 years. Started to play with workmates when I started doing fly in out. A few of us would play 3 or 4 times a week on our days off, that was when I really grew to love the game.

I just play on public courses, used to play quite a lot at the Vines and have had a few hits at Joondalup which is quite a nice course.
Have never had a handicap, or been a member of a club, or had a lesson. I reckon I could probably played to about an 18 handicap.

I wish that I had started to play when I was younger. I'm not the longest hitter, my strength is my chipping and putting, especially my putting. The best I've had for 18 is 84 off the stick. Haven't played for a while since I hurt my back.

Augusta is on my bucket list, I love watching it every year, wouldn't mind having a look at Pebble Beach either.

Reactions: 2 users
Similar sort of story …or mix of stories.

Played golf with my dad on the odd occasion after school whilst growing up interstate. Football was serious, and I had a lot of commitments with that, but in the Summer, I’d go to the golf club with him after school (a good course - one that’s held several Aus Amateur Championships and pro events) and play 9 holes with him in the Chicken Run. My dad had me on a junior membership, but I never really played.

But footy came to a sudden halt when I was 19 after I did my knee very badly. Big knee reco when recos were very bad news. The surgery wasn’t a success and I had to have another one done (thank you to the late and great John Grant) and was out of footy for 3 years. Towards the end of my rehab after the second reco I started playing golf on the weekends. I started on a handicap of 14. Within 6 weeks or so I was off 5.

I tried to play footy again, but it was pointless. Just couldn’t turn properly, doing hamstrings, herniated discs etc. over the pre-season. I eventually got back out there and still held my own playing ok playing as an undersized full back (only 3 goals kicked on me in 3 games) but when my dhead coach decided to start me on the bench in my 4th game back I said to myself “what the *** am I doing this for ?” I couldn’t play the way I expected to, I had a dhead coach, it was a massive struggle with my body (lots of drugs in order to train and play) and I started thinking on the bench in my 4th game back how much more I’d be enjoying things if I was playing golf. That’s when you know to call it quits ! So off I went and played golf as a serious sport endeavour.

I got down to 2 under the old handicap system. Not sure what that would equate to under the new bs system. Played in some Pro events, Aus amateur at my club. Travelled the world playing golf – Merion, St. Andrews, Pinehurst No.2, Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines, TPC’s, Spyglass, Carnoustie. Some I’ve played twice. Bunch of others as well. More memorable rounds are 76 off the stick sight unseen off the back blocks with a breeze at Pebble and the same at the Old Course. Number of sub-par rounds …4 hole in ones….all that sort of stuff.

Living in Victoria the last 20+ years I play at a decent sand belt course. I used to be a member at the new Peninsula Kingswood, but it was too far away down at Frankston. Would take an hour to hour and a quarter to get there from home during the week. So I joined a traditional and pretty decent sand belt course 15 mins from home about 18 months ago. Love it.

Don’t have a handicap at the moment – haven’t been playing any comp golf for years and years. Haven’t had the time plus I’ve had a lot of orthopaedic surgeries. Dunno what I’d get to if I started getting serious again. Got more operations scheduled on any amount of joints (getting over a big knee scope right now) so it would be a struggle to get back to anything decent I expect !

I watch everything on tv. Every round of every event. I read heaps. My old golf buddies and I chat about golf 4 or 5 days a week still. Been a member of the USGA for 25 years.

Have had great experiences, met great people, and been to great places with golf. On the odd occasion it’s been a great friend-shelter when life’s problems are sometimes getting a bit much. You can often clear the mind playing a few holes on your own.

It’s just a great game. I’m still totally in love with golf and always will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Some seriously good golfers on here, and great stories to boot, fantastic reading!

@Redford I played Pinehurst no.2,as well as 4 and 8 back in 2014 as part of my US Masters tour. About 6-8 weeks before US Open was played there. No.2 was already tricked up, especially for a golfer of my ability. Brutal greens and rough with those weedy things I struggle to explain. How did you find it? Did you get the caddy experience as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Some seriously good golfers on here, and great stories to boot, fantastic reading!

@Redford I played Pinehurst no.2,as well as 4 and 8 back in 2014 as part of my US Masters tour. About 6 weeks before US Open was played there. No.2 was already tricked up, especially for a golfer of my ability. Brutal greens and rough with those weedy things I struggle to explain. How did you find it? Did you get the caddy experience as well?
Yep. I’ve played Pinehurst No.2 twice. And played 1, 4, 5 and 7. Stayed on the property both times. Very special. (Great local bar in the town too called Dugan’s. Been there ?)

Number 2’s greens are very difficult. Some people don’t like Donald Ross’ style of “upturned saucers”. It can be a bit frustrating I have to admit. I still remember many years ago hitting a 6 iron to the middle of the green on the 7th. High and right into the guts of the green. *** thing rolled off the green and into an impossible swale to get up and down from. Heh heh heh geez I was angry. But that’s Donald Ross golf. Played a few of his courses.

Yep. Did the local caddie experience both times. Well worth it. They tell some great stories.

Yep. I’ve played Pinehurst No.2 twice. And played 1, 4, 5 and 7. Stayed on the property both times. Very special. (Great local bar in the town too called Dugan’s. Been there ?)

Number 2’s greens are very difficult. Some people don’t like Donald Ross’ style of “upturned saucers”. It can be a bit frustrating I have to admit. I still remember many years ago hitting a 6 iron to the middle of the green on the 7th. High and right into the guts of the green. *** thing rolled off the green and into an impossible swale to get up and down from. Heh heh heh geez I was angry. But that’s Donald Ross golf. Played a few of his courses.

Yep. Did the local caddie experience both times. Well worth it. They tell some great stories.

Great place Pinehurst, I was blown away. Several great memories.

Went to Dugan’s every night, got messy as.

Those swale’s are brutal, found myself in one around 20 yards from pin. Caddy bets me I won’t even get ball on green, let alone close to the pin. Took him up on the challenge, and I was $50 lighter in pocket Just like that. Not even close to pin let alone on the green!

One of my playing partners hit a good shot pin high off the tee on one of the par 3’s, probably 25feet from hole. He probably did get a rush of blood chasing birdie, but hit the putt fractionally too hard. Caught the edge of the saucer, and the ball rolled into the green side bunker. He was flustered, took another 3 shots to get out of the bunker, then 3 putted for a horrible 8. Never recovered, he was broken.

Caddies and their knowledge of course was brilliant. Always asked you first what you thought the line was on putts, before politely telling you that you had it horribly wrong! I ignored mine once, early on, and paid the price. They were such a terrific addition to a memorable day of golf.

Great place Pinehurst, I was blown away. Several great memories.

Went to Dugan’s every night, got messy as.

Those swale’s are brutal, found myself in one around 20 yards from pin. Caddy bets me I won’t even get ball on green, let alone close to the pin. Took him up on the challenge, and I was $50 lighter in pocket Just like that. Not even close to pin let alone on the green!

One of my playing partners hit a good shot pin high off the tee on one of the par 3’s, probably 25feet from hole. He probably did get a rush of blood chasing birdie, but hit the putt fractionally too hard. Caught the edge of the saucer, and the ball rolled into the green side bunker. He was flustered, took another 3 shots to get out of the bunker, then 3 putted for a horrible 8. Never recovered, he was broken.

Caddies and their knowledge of course was brilliant. Always asked you first what you thought the line was on putts, before politely telling you that you had it horribly wrong! I ignored mine once, early on, and paid the price. They were such a terrific addition to a memorable day of golf.
Yeah. That’s Dugans and that’s Pinehurst No.2 ! Tv doesn’t do it justice when you see some of the greens and run offs. Brutal.

Got heaps of Pinehurst stuff at home. Geez all this talk ….might have to go with one of the Pinehurst hats and polos tomorrow !

1645008750592.jpeg

Great thread Moody. Golfs great. My favourite sport. Grew up watching Norman, still my favourite ever sportsman. He inspired me and I imagine so many others to play.
Grew up in the Riverina on a farm, started playing at about 12 with my dad and brothers on a Sat morning. Started on 27. Never won a club champ but won a few junior things. Got down to 4 at 17 but didn’t practice the short game much at all and it’s still very poor. Have been a member at Sanctuary lakes and Westgate in melb. Shot 68 at Sanctuary once my best score. Wasn’t windy that day. Had a few other sub par rounds in the bush. No good under pressure the older I get, lost a pennant final in VGL missing a short putt (less than 2 feet!). Get the chunks on chipping a bit.
Have a GSM handicap of 10 but only played 20 comp games in 7 years. Can’t play to it, too erratic. But still my favourite sport. Love all the majors, so much heartbreak watching the shark as a kid. My abiding memory is what a great sport he was when he lost. He was always generous to the winner.
Augusta is on the bucket list as is St Andrew’s. So many great courses I’d love to play. Will join the National in about 5 years I hope. My favourite golfing destination in Melb. Love Kingston Heath too think it’s the pick of the sand belt.
Play with Mizunos what great sticks. Just don’t get to use them often enough.
Oh, and had 2 hole in ones, neither were well struck!
One of my best memories is playing with my dear departed dad, he played off 24 and could not hit it over a jam tin. He had a great putting stroke though. Anyway after 9 holes he has had 30 points! He parred the front 9. We start the 10th (he always had a trannie going with the races on a Sat) and he is listening to a major race and his horse got pipped at the post. Well he dropped his bundle and had 8 points out the back for a total of 38. It’s still the best 9 hole single stablefprd score I’ve ever heard of. But he still had to pay a few after the round, we laughed about it for years.

Reactions: 3 users