Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ok, maybe it’s all getting a bit too hedonistic now.

A good club, he looks high:cool:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Cameron Smith. I was a real follower and believer, but he's seriously doing my head in. Can hardly hit a fairway, so can hardly hit a green. Not just at the Scottish Open. Anywhere.

Sure has a really good short game and strong putter ... but he absolutely needs them because ... see above. Otherwise he'd be lucky to make world top 100.

Once again, starts well. Got it to -4 at one stage of Rd.1, ended up -2, with Tringale leading on -9. The longer he plays in this and his last tournament, the more shots he surrenders. Just goes backwards at a rate of knots while his playing partners cruise past him easily. Why? See above.

Does he have much idea of how he hits it? Seems to mostly draw the ball, but fails to allow for it. Ends up in stupid positions so he cannot find the green, just more trouble. And even when he gets it on the fairway with a decent drive occasionally, then long irons draw too wide too and miss the green in hopeless positions or leaves him a really difficult putt. So bogies follow.

Can fade the ball too, but same thing; he overdoes it into serious trouble. See his losing playoff in 2021 against Tony Finou - a guy he was very capable of beating. Faded it oob on the first playoff hole from memory. Match over. Only had to hit the fairway to be able to apply huge pressure with his short game.

I'm not sure he has much idea at all of where his ball is going.

The Masters - couldn't take advantage when opportunity presented. Then capitulated.

What on Earth does he practice? How is it a coach cannot correct his waywardness - with all that $$$? Can he not learn some course management?

That's it. I'm sick of the capitulations by Aussie golfers. We seem to really lack cajones at the elite level. Even a good club golfer knows how to scramble pars to avoid going backwards out of the comp.

Last edited:

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Cameron Smith. I was a real follower and believer, but he's seriously doing my head in. Can hardly hit a fairway, so can hardly hit a green. Not just at the Scottish Open. Anywhere.

Sure has a really good short game and strong putter ... but he absolutely needs them because ... see above. Otherwise he'd be lucky to make world top 100.

Once again, starts well. Got it to -4 at one stage of Rd.1, ended up -2, with Tringale leading on -9. The longer he plays in this and his last tournament, the more shots he surrenders. Just goes backwards at a rate of knots while his playing partners cruise past him easily. Why? See above.

Does he have much idea of how he hits it? Seems to mostly draw the ball, but fails to allow for it. Ends up in stupid positions so he cannot find the green, just more trouble. And even when he gets it on the fairway with a decent drive occasionally, then long irons draw too wide too and miss the green in hopeless positions or leaves him a really difficult put. So bogies follow.

Can fade the ball too, but same thing; he overdoes it into serious trouble. See his losing playoff in 2021 against Tony Finou - a guy he was very capable of beating. I'm not sure he has much idea at all of where his ball is going.

The Masters - couldn't take advantage when opportunity presented. Then capitulated.

What on Earth does he practice? How is it a coach cannot correct his waywardness - with all that $$$? Can he not learn some course management?

That's it. I'm sick of the capitulations by Aussie golfers. We seem to really lack cajones at the elite level. Even a good club golfer knows how to scramble pars to avoid going backwards out of the comp.

That Driver of his is a major problem. Get that sorted out and improved results will follow.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
That Driver of his is a major problem. Get that sorted out and improved results will follow.
I’ve been saying that for a while now Don. He has a flippy or loose swing at the top.

These blokes at the Scottish can’t putt. Three putts galore. Having said that, Tom Doak creates very difficult greens that are very very hard to read. Not big swales and breaks so much as these hard to see little lumps and ribbons everywhere.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
480362F3-2865-447B-88AE-E111A1F82347.jpeg
He wanted 3 shots a 9 , I said “no way u can have 2 at the most “

Interesting what he had to say on the LIV , 14 events max , an they’ll be back playing with PGA tour as well etc etc.

Paddy an I both have lost our clubs flying from Ireland to Scotland aye

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Played Carnoustie today with clubs I brought an hour before we teed off after losing all our gear in transit ( major issue over here atm) anyway imho least impressive course of all the courses we’ve played so far . Very very flat , greens running at 9 which is the standard here apparently , lot of fairways are so narrow an mounded that it’s near impossible to hit them , very good track but I wouldn’t have it in my top 10 . Playing Royal Birkdale tomorrow

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Carnosutie is just "ok." I've played it and watched a few rounds of the Scottish Open there in the past as well. I don't reckon its that hard a course unless the wind is blowing and the rough has been grown in - like they do for the BO. It's not as close to the water as a lot of other Scottish links courses. They should do away with the Mr Burnside course that sits in the middle of the Carnoustie course and re-develop the thing.

The place looks weird with that really obtrusive, ugly hotel behind the 18th green/1st tee area.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Carnosutie is just "ok." I've played it and watched a few rounds of the Scottish Open there in the past as well. I don't reckon its that hard a course unless the wind is blowing and the rough has been grown in - like they do for the BO. It's not as close to the water as a lot of other Scottish links courses. They should do away with the Mr Burnside course that sits in the middle of the Carnoustie course and re-develop the thing.

The place looks weird with that really obtrusive, ugly hotel behind the 18th green/1st tee area.
Agree it’s not that hard , too much of the course involves luck not skill , worst of the courses so far

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
There’s a lot of luck involved in most true links golf esp off the tee.
I’ve always preferred “ parkland” over Links , at this point I think our links style in Barnbougle, St. Andrews beach, moonah at the National are better overall golf courses then these UK links , in saying that RCD blows them all away