Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Is that Sam Torrance who keeps coughing his guts out in the background all the time ? Ffs….
I'm being very retrospective, I know, because I didn't get to watch it all, or the key players in the final rd until yesterday evening in a day mostly at home. But amazingly, by avoiding all media including switching off my phone notifications, and my wife taking no interest, I was actually able to relish the thrill of the victory with no prior knowledge. And, of course, I'd largely fallen for the pre-narrative that it was a win for Rory already; just a matter of how far and who came 2nd.

However, you reminded me that I wanted to say that I don't know about the coughing, but finally realised that was Sam T. What a voice; what commentary! Just loved his style; so droll and original but really knows his golf and the course. So different to the plastic Yank commentators, but he got sidelined late in the coverage at the busy end.

Go back and check out what he was saying about Cam Smith in early rounds - ST loved his game and his cool demeanor and talked him up big time! Virtually tipped him.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Don't like watching Sheffler, always looks unbalanced when he finishes his swing. Almost swings himself off his feet with his driver.
He does ... 'swing himself off his feet.' Can't believe he keeps getting away with it. But think there will come a time where it will catch up with him and it starts to cost him.
Got some luck at the Masters ... with some very considerate free drops.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I’m taking full credit leon Spinks.
Ok, being a modest (Richmond) man - reluctantly, I'm prepared to share credit 50/50.

Cam has since got in touch - has taken nearly 24 hrs for him to sober up. Final email - "Thanks for that kick-in-the-ars mate. Just what I needed ... and made all the difference."

Will catch up back in Oz for a beer with you ... from the claret jug. Holds plenty BTW. Cool."

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Fantastic win by Cam who showed everyone what's most important at St Andrews....short game. Not a long course so huge drives are not crucial but Cam drove far enough and with better accuracy than he normally displays. He said he has been practicing his driving much more this year and his putting is unbelievable. Some might say it's just luck when he sinks those long putts but it's not all luck because he does it so often. He said he spends 20 min each day practicing his putting stance with the aid of a mirror so he gets into a consistent address and ball position. How many of us do that? To be better than average you have to do what the average person won't do.
Also, after the putts didn't drop for him in the 3rd round he started to question whether something in his technique had broken down or his green reading. He didn't believe anything had changed but he could't rest so he went out on the practice green just to see some putts go in to restore his confidence. After this putting session he knew he was ok, ready to play, so he slept well.

May be there are some lessons in there for our Tiger forwards? Putting is very similar to kicking for goal.
Consistent routine - holding the ball, run up, ball drop, balanced kicking position, follow through towards the target.

What we've got now is a dog's breakfast where players are in two minds as to what to do. Jack used to be a very reliable drop punt goal kicker and only used the banana for very acute angles, now he's a mess with no confidence. In the warm up before games he's relaxed and kicks a lot of different set shots but that's not drilling in a set routine that is needed when the pressure comes.

Reactions: 3 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Hey, Mopsy. I felt so frustrated by Cam throwing wins away that I got an address for him from the Aust PGA and emailed him this, because he replied,
" You're right mate. I need to straighten up and get my driving act together. Thanks heaps, mate. So cool."
This was on Fri after his 1st rd. Then he went out and shot 64 Rd.2.

Unfortunately, relapsed into bad old ways Rd.4, but responded again to say. "Sorry, I will get it right when it matters." I said, "Go for it, mate. It's yours for the taking charging from 4 behind while they've almost got the engraver etching Rory's name on the trophy already. They've written you off."

Replied, " OK, cool."

The rest is history, mate. I'm taking full credit. (y)

Top work mate, how good that he replied!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ok, being a modest (Richmond) man - reluctantly, I'm prepared to share credit 50/50.

Cam has since got in touch - has taken nearly 24 hrs for him to sober up. Final email - "Thanks for that kick-in-the-ars mate. Just what I needed ... and made all the difference."

Will catch up back in Oz for a beer with you ... from the claret jug. Holds plenty BTW. Cool."
You’re lucky. My regular pupil - that Woods bloke - is giving me the *smile*. Calls every day. I told him I’ve done all I can these last 25 years.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
You’re lucky. My regular pupil - that Woods bloke - is giving me the *smile*. Calls every day. I told him I’ve done all I can these last 25 years.

Wondered who it was that taught him how to drive ……………..….. a car

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
16E664DF-2D14-47B5-847E-60EAACAE71D6.jpeg
Had a game at Swedens number 1 course Bro Hof Slott , very very nice young course that winds around a lake , longest course I’ve played 7400 metres IIRC

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
BTW - I've just got home from seeing "The Phantom of the Open" - based on the true story of Maurice Flitcroft and his 121 in the 1976 British Open qualifying.
Not sure if it's been discussed here at all - but it very enjoyable and well worth seeing.
Watched it today, really enjoyed it, laughed out loud a few times.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How bad is the weather in Scotland. Far out. Their Summers are like our best Winters.

Has anyone played Muirfield ? I’d like to see In Gee Chun win the BO. For anyone who follows golf closely, she has a great story behind her.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
An interesting round from Ariya Jutanugarn in the "Ladies Open", 4 under for her round after 5 holes, then 6 over for her next 9.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Looks like Cameron Smith and Marc Leishman are off to the LIV.

The PGA Tour is being broken, slowly, piece by piece. They better come up with something strategic.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
So if you’re C. Smith right now and you’re being reportedly offered $140m AUD to join LIV, do you go or not ? You’re 28 years old, have won $30m in prize money to date, you’re the reigning BO champion.

Do you forego your Tour card and access potentially to a couple of majors, Tour history etc and chase the cash ? Or do you stay ?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
So if you’re C. Smith right now and you’re being reportedly offered $140m AUD to join LIV, do you go or not ? You’re 28 years old, have won $30m in prize money to date, you’re the reigning BO champion.

Do you forego your Tour card and access potentially to a couple of majors, Tour history etc and chase the cash ? Or do you stay ?
I think he's crazy to go - or being poorly advised. Minders may have a very influential role. Sure it might seem in his best interest to take the extra $140mUS now to sign on LIV (but in their interests too with % cuts). However, firstly I think, if correct figure, he's being undersold if you compare reported sign-on figures of the likes of Phil, BDC, DJohnston. These guys are not playing anywhere near as well as Cam currently and PM is nearly past it. Others' best looks behind them or have flawed games. Cam looks to have far greater upside, just nearing his prime years.

He has the potential to become the world's best player; simply has to keep his driving under control as much as possible. Win majors and tournaments around the world, Cam. Could become our greatest ever, his short game is that good. In the end, money is not going to be any problem for him - even now is highly successful financially.

Both the Saudi backing for sports-washing and US capitalist business with them reeks. No-one occupies the higher ground although SA is an appalling country and values. PGA is no paragon of virtues either and are responsible largely for this mess for making golf so Amero-centric and virtually wiping out any chance of an international tour (although I applaud any genuine charities $$ efforts).

Being able to go down in golf history with who knows what CV of achievements are possible for him by the end of his career, seems to be far more important than bailing out for mere money right now - to play 3 day exhibition matches with no cuts in restricted fields. Meaningless in the bigger picture. The $$ will look after itself, given his potential for off-course earnings too.

Plus I hate the Trump associations. And Norman has the social and political awareness and sensitivity of an egotistic dumbass.

Reactions: 2 users