Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Watched the 3 rounds of LIV this week. Great course. Love the desert. Spectacular scenery. Fantastic condition.

Golf wasn’t too bad but to quote Tony Kornheiser, the format is confusing and junky.

Get rid of this tacky, cartoonish teams thing. Nobody cares. Get rid of the shotgun start. You’ve got guys in contention all over the course, nobody knows what holes they’re on and what’s ahead for them. Ffs …you’ve got winners or potential winners finishing on the 15th hole or whatever with nobody watching them ! Ridiculous.

Scoreboards are all over the place trying to keep track of everything. The coverage keeps flipping between individual stuff and then team stuff. It’s all over the place. Silly, annoying music. A lot of the big stars they’ve paid hundreds of millions of dollars to continue to play poorly eg De Chumpo, Cupcakes Koepka etc

PGA Tour has it well and truly covered - for now - I believe.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This is why Jordan Spieth is always on the clock and why he’s such a pain the ass. Wtf does he need a rules official for as well ?

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
World Match Play this weekend, Rickie Fowler is up against Rahm in the first round, would love to see Rickie wipe the floor with him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We had Gary Player at our club last week. Honorary Member. Played a few holes, did some lessons with our kids, spoke at a function after etc.

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
We had Gary Player at our club last week. Honorary Member. Played a few holes, did some lessons with our kids, spoke at a function after etc.

That's awesome. What a great experience for young and old alike.

One of golf's true gentlemen he is.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
This is why Jordan Spieth is always on the clock and why he’s such a pain the ass. Wtf does he need a rules official for as well ?

Didn’t mind seeing him getting the approval of the rules official in this case

These blokes have to cope with TV viewers calling out players for what they (the viewers) regard as rules violation.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Didn’t mind seeing him getting the approval of the rules official in this case

These blokes have to cope with TV viewers calling out players for what they (the viewers) regard as rules violation.
That is a yellow or regular water hazard.

Every player - especially a PGA Tour pro - should know that relief is either:

1. Stroke and distance or some events have a drop circle.
2. Drop a ball BEHIND the hazard anywhere on a straight line drawn from the hole through the spot where the ball crossed over the hazard’s YELLOW margin as it went in. Which typically you would agree with your playing partner.

But Spieth had no idea. Rules official had to explain it to him.

There is little to no room for any spectator intervention given how long he took to play ie the spot he hit from and where it crossed the line of the hazard, which again he simply validates with his playing partner.

No rules official is gonna penalise him via any bs spectator involvement if he’s confirmed the obvious line with his playing partner. You see it being applied all the time on Tour. Week on week. A classic one is the 18th at Torrey Pines. Simple.

Basic, 101, fundamental rules of golf. Curt Byrum explains it in the coverage in 5 seconds.

Absolutely no need for a rules official what so ever. If a player doesn’t know that basic rule, pro or amateur, they wanna maybe take 5 minutes to read the fundamentals.

Last edited:

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
That is a yellow or regular water hazard.

Every player - especially a PGA Tour pro - should know that relief is either:

1. Stroke and distance or some events have a drop circle.
2. Drop a ball BEHIND the hazard anywhere on a straight line drawn from the hole through the spot where the ball crossed over the hazard’s YELLOW margin as it went in. Which typically you would agree with your playing partner.

But Spieth had no idea. Rules official had to explain it to him.

There is little to no room for any spectator intervention given how long he took to play ie the spot he hit from and where it crossed the line of the hazard, which again he simply validates with his playing partner.

No rules official is gonna penalise him via any bs spectator involvement if he’s confirmed the obvious line with his playing partner. You see it being applied all the time on Tour. Week on week. A classic one is the 18th at Torrey Pines. Simple.

Basic, 101, fundamental rules of golf. Curt Byrum explains it in the coverage in 5 seconds.

Absolutely no need for a rules official what so ever. If a player doesn’t know that basic rule, pro or amateur, they wanna maybe take 5 minutes to read the fundamentals.
OK - you say Spieth had "no idea". Really! None at all?
I reckon he had a very good idea - and just wanted the endorsement to avoid any possible ramifications.
It's not uncommon for these blokes to call in a rules official to endorse pretty common relief or drop situations.

TV viewers regularly call out players - and rightly so in the case of Patrick Reed.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
OK - you say Spieth had "no idea". Really! None at all?
I reckon he had a very good idea - and just wanted the endorsement to avoid any possible ramifications.
It's not uncommon for these blokes to call in a rules official to endorse pretty common relief or drop situations.

TV viewers regularly call out players - and rightly so in the case of Patrick Reed.
He had none ! The rules official has to explain it to him. Listen to it. “So I do have the point in line ?” Errr…yes you do Jordan. That’s the fundamental piece of taking relief from a water hazard. *** moron.

There is absolutely no reason to call a rules official. Commentators like Faldo and co have been complaining about it for years and the slow play problem it exacerbates.

And what’s the rules official gonna tell him about his line either ? He wasn’t there ! His playing partner was however and if Spieth knew the rules he’d just take his drop “back along the line” in conjunction with his playing partner like every bog standard amateur club golfer does every week.

Didn’t know the rules and wasted everyone’s time both before his shot and then after. Absolute dhead.

Jordan Spieth is an utter pain in the arse on the golf course.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Rory just smoked a drive to 4 feet on the 375 par 4 18th o_O

Edit

Rory's drive on 18 carried 349 yards, the average carry distance on the PGA tour is 281 yards, wow!!

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Did you see Hatton at the end of the match ? Looked the other way as Herbie putted to win from 5 feet then gave him the stink eye and couldn’t mutter a word when shaking hands.
Yeah I did, it was disgraceful. I’ve thought that he gets a bad rap at times, but that was bad sportsmanship, **** him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah I did, it was disgraceful. I’ve thought that he gets a bad rap at times, but that was bad sportsmanship, **** him.
Yes, but he’s world’s unluckiest golfer remember.

That drive from McIlroy was outrageous. And to think, Mr Burnside reckons his swing is no good. Heh heh heh….

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Just came of a round on the Moonah course at the National, it’s as good as I’ve seen it , greens are not super quick leading into next weeks PGA event , apparently strong winds are forecast ( they are every day ) so they are keeping it safe, the rough has died of a bit which is a shame as if it was US Open long like it is a lot of the time it would be a great test for the lads . If the winds are up it’ll be very interesting to see how low they can go

Free entry for the event , and they are using Gunamatta as the car park ( make a better car park then golf course ) , definitely worth coming down for a look if you haven’t played Moonah