Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

It's worth a look.

How good a coach is Richie Smith, he also coaches Hannah Green who won the womens world championship on the weekend.

Yeah I was talking to one of the pros at our club who knows him. Said he is an absolute gun teacher. Works with a lot of the best amateurs in the country too. Wonder if he works with some of the worst ie. me ? Might be beyond help.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Gee they have a lot of stats on that PGA website.

I wonder if Pro punters bet on golf? if they do, I imagine they would be pouring through the stats?

Gee they have a lot of stats on that PGA website.

I wonder if Pro punters bet on golf? if they do, I imagine they would be pouring through the stats?
Reckon golf is one of, if not the worst sport to bet on. I can’t help myself on occasion because I follow the game so much, but it’s a fools exercise. Any one of 100 or more guys can win on any given week. Including majors which are riddled with nobody winners.

Austin Eckroat, Mat Pavon , Grayson Murray, Nick Dunlap, Nick Taylor, Jake Knapp. I’m sure everyone was all over those guys in the first couple of months !

Teases only to disappoint ... again (or 'flatters to deceive' - take your pick). Having followed him closely from the outset, this is what really bugs me about MWL. So talented but continually throws shots away with wayward shots; it's his pattern to grab a couple of birdies or an eagle and then give it straight back to the course. He's very frustrating; maybe too much of a gambler in his mentality; just needs to understand the value of scoring more steady pars to compete at the PGA level against this depth of talent.

I thought he might be a real show today without many of the best PGA players competing, and with the course playing soft. Missed an eagle putt for a birdie on 3, then took another bird at 4. Before totally hooking nearly into water by about 30m at the par 3, 5th hole. Then missed his bogey putt back after taking a lucky drop onto the green. So 2 shots forward; 2 straight back!

I think Min has made a really silly error by creating this "Let him cook" BS which saw those typically boorish young Yank males dressing in chefs hats, gooning around and cheering (or is it taunting?) for him at his previous tournament . He's made a cross for his own back encouraging this kind of crap ... before he's achieved anything of real note on the Yankee tour. I sense that the conservative US commentators have type-cast him already as a bit of a brash upstart for this reason - appear to talk him up but is there a sneer underlying it? Such a contrast in the constant coverage of their latest wunderkind, all-American blonde type, Knapp, compared to seeing very occasional footage of MWL only when he either scores well or stuffs up. Anyway, just shut up until you put up, Min.

This tournament is not over yet, but once again, our golfers mostly demonstrate they can't seem to step up when the heats is on at the death. It's hard to see where our next tournament winner (men's) is going to emerge with 'dodgy back' Day (full credit to him for his competitive return but don't think he will ever beat the top echelon of current players in a major again after his back problems), Uncle Adam Smith (maybe still our most reliable player - a steady competitor only now) and erratic MWL.

And Cam Smith has turned into a battler at the lower end of the LIV tour recently, along with Leish! Marriage affected, Cam? Really underwhelming Aussies.

Not a bad pay day for Min Woo $801,000 for finishing 2nd overnight.

I love:love: the showman not necessarily the 'Let him cook' angle but hey bringing a bit of entertainment to golf is refreshing.

Watching Australian Story last night it was stated that during Covid, when there were no crowds, Min Woo was nowhere with his golf but as soon as the crowds were back so too was Min Woo, he needs a stage.

He is not without drive to be #1 but will go about it his way.

Reckon golf is one of, if not the worst sport to bet on. I can’t help myself on occasion because I follow the game so much, but it’s a fools exercise. Any one of 100 or more guys can win on any given week. Including majors which are riddled with nobody winners.

Austin Eckroat, Mat Pavon , Grayson Murray, Nick Dunlap, Nick Taylor, Jake Knapp. I’m sure everyone was all over those guys in the first couple of months !
Yeh, always thought it was a poor betting sport. Although Fred Couples to make the cut at the masters was a lock for a long time. Even now he is still half a chance.

I would think though that certain courses suit certain players/styles and they may bet a number of players in a tournament?

But there are so many factors that go into it, tee times, weather conditions etc that it does appear a lottery most times.

Yeh, always thought it was a poor betting sport. Although Fred Couples to make the cut at the masters was a lock for a long time. Even now he is still half a chance.

I would think though that certain courses suit certain players/styles and they may bet a number of players in a tournament?

But there are so many factors that go into it, tee times, weather conditions etc that it does appear a lottery most times.
It’s hard to win. Even Tiger failed 78% of the time.

McIlroy has a strike rate of 5% yet he consistently starts events as $7 or so favourite. That just does not compute.

A very bad sport to bet on. Masters for one reason or another a bit different, but otherwise forget about it. If you are desperately tempted, bet on the winner in the last round I reckon.

Yeah I was talking to one of the pros at our club who knows him. Said he is an absolute gun teacher. Works with a lot of the best amateurs in the country too. Wonder if he works with some of the worst ie. me ? Might be beyond help.
I remember doing a few lessons with Ritchie when I was at primary school - he must've been only late teens then and was doing some lessons on the school holidays!

Reactions: 1 users
It's worth a look.

How good a coach is Richie Smith, he also coaches Hannah Green who won the womens world championship on the weekend.

The siblings are so different but they obviously have a great bond. I really enjoyed it.

Minjee Lee is a superstar but many don't know who she is, so understated. She said she had to increase her social media presence but it is hard when you are not that sort of person.

Min Woo is great to watch. His last round in this tournament was so much like him. Makes a run but his card includes a double bogey and an eagle !!

The siblings are so different but they obviously have a great bond. I really enjoyed it.

Minjee Lee is a superstar but many don't know who she is, so understated. She said she had to increase her social media presence but it is hard when you are not that sort of person.

Min Woo is great to watch. His last round in this tournament was so much like him. Makes a run but his card includes a double bogey and an eagle !!
Min Woo is very much like Lucas Herbert in a scoring sense, plenty of birdies and eagles but way too many bogeys and double bogeys.
An other player who is coached by Richie Smith is Hayden Hopewell, keep your eye out for him, he's a talent.

Shuffles Putting Report
31 Putts
T55 Strokes Gained Putting
6ft miss, 14ft miss, 7ft miss, 15ft miss, 3ft miss, 13ft miss
5ft make, 2ft make, 3ft make, 4ft make, 2ft make, 6ft make, 20ft make, 2ft make, 3ft make, 2ft make, tap in, tap in,

Hit 15/18 greens but makes one putt over 6ft and still shoots 2 under

Jason Day shot the same score only hit 8 greens but had 22 putts

Shuffles Putting Report
31 Putts
T55 Strokes Gained Putting
6ft miss, 14ft miss, 7ft miss, 15ft miss, 3ft miss, 13ft miss
5ft make, 2ft make, 3ft make, 4ft make, 2ft make, 6ft make, 20ft make, 2ft make, 3ft make, 2ft make, tap in, tap in,

Hit 15/18 greens but makes one putt over 6ft and still shoots 2 under

Jason Day shot the same score only hit 8 greens but had 22 putts
Heh heh. You love the Snuffler’s putting.

Big event, good field at Arnie’s this week on the Toooor at Bay Hill.

Wooters off to a decent start.

Meanwhile Minjee is joint leader after 1st round of latest LGPA event.

Australian Story being aired certainly has gone to their heads.

• Haha
It’s about the only thing I can do reasonably at the moment.
It's almost impossible to have a good score if you do not putt well, but you can play poorly and still score OK if you putt well.

Played an ambrose event this week we didn't miss a putt inside 15ft and nailed a couple of long ones. Feels good when you putt well.