Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
gutfull said:
MD Jazz your showing no understanding of the this tournament.
One of the greatest come backs of sport..

Where did I say it wasn't? I'm one for tradition but just find the butler cabin moment so deflating. It's like a morgue. And the yanks coverage gets worse every year, but the tournament itself stands as the best sporting event of the year despite this.

Watched the press conference in full, good to hear from him. Some of the questions are just daft though.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
MD Jazz said:
Tiger IMO is the greatest sportsman of all time, or at least the greatest pressure player of all-time.

Whilst I agree that he is the best golfer of all time, a definite ‘no’ to the above. Jesse Owens, Jim Thorpe, usain bolt, Mohammad Ali, Michael Jordan, don bradman all have equal/better claims. Call me old fashioned, but I reckon raising a sweat should be an important criterion in defining an activity as a sport.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
lukeanddad said:
Whilst I agree that he is the best golfer of all time, a definite ‘no’ to the above. Jesse Owens, Jim Thorpe, usain bolt, Mohammad Ali, Michael Jordan, don bradman all have equal/better claims. Call me old fashioned, but I reckon raising a sweat should be an important criterion in defining an activity as a sport.

What, golf is not a sport?

Ali isn't event he greatest boxer of all time. Perhaps the greatest and most influential sports personality of all-time but his boxing record is surpassed by too many.

I understand its impossible to compare sports but IMO the mental aspect to golf is greater than the others for the exact reason you state - most are much more physical pursuits. Almost less time for the mind to be involved. Golf involves silence and a stationery ball, with so much room for doubt/negative thoughts.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
MD Jazz said:
What, golf is not a sport?

Ali isn't event he greatest boxer of all time. Perhaps the greatest and most influential sports personality of all-time but his boxing record is surpassed by too many.

I understand its impossible to compare sports but IMO the mental aspect to golf is greater than the others for the exact reason you state - most are much more physical pursuits. Almost less time for the mind to be involved. Golf involves silence and a stationery ball, with so much room for doubt/negative thoughts.

Sport should also require that its participants display courage. The only courage required for golf relates to being brave enough to put on the outfits they wear on the course.

Ps I’m kidding

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
lukeanddad said:

Imagine someone doing a Jim Thorpe in today's age? Balta probably the only one capable.

Anyway, PGA at Bethpage. Toughest Major field and a tricky track. Might keep betting to a minimum. Cantlay for the win. Harding to be top SA, Bjerregard top Dane, and the hypochondriac Aussie to be top 5.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
lukeanddad said:

Thought about it and want to add Bo Jackson to that list. May be the greatest ever all-round athlete that ever lived.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
scottyturnerscurse said:
Imagine someone doing a Jim Thorpe in today's age? Balta probably the only one capable.

Anyway, PGA at Bethpage. Toughest Major field and a tricky track. Might keep betting to a minimum. Cantlay for the win. Harding to be top SA, Bjerregard top Dane, and the hypochondriac Aussie to be top 5.

I like Harding, i backed him at The Masters. Have backed him and Simpson to win and to finish top 5.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Cmon Scotty

Was planning on playing Bethpage Black last year, but just ran out of time, thank god I didn’t I would have ran out of balls. For memory I think green fees were only about $150 and about $500 to be picked up and dropped off in Manhattan

Anybody seen that guy conor doing his impression of Poulter and Tiger, very funny

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Just watching Matt Wallace play Denmark open. Never taken notice of him but he has a fabulous golf swing. Just so balanced, faultless really. A smaller Adam Scott. Will keep a watch on him at the final 2 majors. Seems like he’d be a good wind player.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The US Open is Woodland's to lose, he has a two shot lead on the 18th tee. Good on him, he has always been a good ball striker.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Perth girl Hannah Green is on the 18th tee with a 2 shot lead to win the USPGLA Championship. Go Hannah, i'm rooting for you.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hannah did it, her maiden win on the USLPA tour and it comes in the PGA Championship.
After Park birdied the 18th, Hannah need a par to win. Her second shot found the bunker, she chipped to 6 feet and drained the put:D

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
She got it done. Big 24 hours for Australian sportswomen.
A big 24 hours indeed.
She is a great story, she started playing golf at The Hillview Golf Course after tagging along with her dad and his mates.
It's just a humble little public course. I used to play there a bit with a few mates.a long time ago. I don't know about now, but it didn't have any bunkers and was one of the cheapest place to play a round of golf at in Perth. I'm wrapped for her.