Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Schauf stuffed up a few times. 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Besides 16, even on 15, he got up and down from the bunker brilliantly, but really, he shouldn't have been in there to begin with and needed to be putting for eagle.

All up, like everyone else chasing the big Matsu, it was an error prone round.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
There’s a bit of banjo playing about Zalatoris
Excuse the cliche ... but the kid can play. Could even have won it because he was consistently positive and aggressive all day. Is he the 'next big thing'?

Maybe. But definitely an odd-looking dude, stick-then, 28" waist they were saying (in the old).

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
His luck is in, hooks it into the trees on 13, it rebounds out to the 2nd cut and he birdies the hole.
You mean he did a Spieth? Clearly a really good recovery player ... but so are most of the top pros these days.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Spiiieeeef ! Hah hah hah....did his usual trick on the par 5 2nd hole yesterday. Absolute duck hook way into the tree line......hits a bough and ricochets back out onto the edge of the fairway. Anyone else and that ball would have been so far in and unplayable its not funny. Geezuz he's an arsey golfer off the tee.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Spiiieeeef ! Hah hah hah....did his usual trick on the par 5 2nd hole yesterday. Absolute duck hook way into the tree line......hits a bough and ricochets back out onto the edge of the fairway. Anyone else and that ball would have been so far in and unplayable its not funny. Geezuz he's an arsey golfer off the tee.
You beat me to it, Red. Funny thing is that I intended to comment on this to one of your prior posts but wife called me in for dinner and son was over, never got back to it.

But I found that all quite puzzling. Firstly ball from off the tee looked way left, as you say, an 'absolute duck hook way into the tree line.' The course watchers positioned on the treeline edge had little idea where it went, BUT I noticed were looking behind them and possibly some spectators on the walking track well behind looking and ducking. It would be interesting to go back and have another look. Don't think there was any discernible noise of hitting trees, unlike late when that Salonikas smashed into some.

Then, much later, the camera pans back and there it is. His ball is lying nicely about 6-8m out on the 2nd cut, or fairway edge with a very negotiable shot at the green. Interesting! Don't think it would be the first time a US player's ball mysteriously just landed in a miraculously better position (via patriotic fan assistance)..

Quick 2 other points. Hate the US biased coverage, although I know I probably just have to expect it. But hate how they treat our players. Leish was a contender but so often we got more coverage of Mickelson, Reed, Cink, Simpson way back. Fine, show some highlights of them but don't miss key shots of Aussie or other players that are genuinely in contention. Once Leish dropped to -5, he was almost written off.

Finally, can't believe golf authorities incredibly strict policing of players - like Ancer getting 2-shot penalty for just brushing ever so slightly a peak of sand behind his bunkered ball. But spectators camp around the greens with almost full picnic gear and continually so dumb about incoming ball flight and allow stoppage of where a ball should have ended up, that could often affect outcomes. Just find that ridiculous. I've been to many a tournament and know how to watch closely for, anticipate and avoid impact. So many nuff-nuffs on courses these days. Surely could be roped further back or camp-chairs etc. forbidden.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Schauf stuffed up a few times. 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Besides 16, even on 15, he got up and down from the bunker brilliantly, but really, he shouldn't have been in there to begin with and needed to be putting for eagle.

All up, like everyone else chasing the big Matsu, it was an error prone round.
Can't let what I regard as the virtual world championship of golf go without my final comment on Mark Leishman and Aussie players in general.

Just couldn't work out Mark's strategy yesterday. But have to say, I was really disappointed by how defensive he was. We all know the advice on winning at Augusta - keep out of severe trouble; make sure you par most of the really tough par 4s and get birdies or eagle chances on the par 5s.
But Mark was laying up at par 5s like the 13th and 15th (can't remember the others). Sure it worked at 13 with a birdie and almost at 15. However, he gave up any chance of an eagle, unlike other players. Plus, he has proven he has the game to do this; he's long enough, a fine long-iron player, good in the wind (coming from Warnambool) and I've seen him get that great eagle (15th hole?) in a previous Masters.

Maybe he was aiming to just grab a safer, surer birdie, hoping/expecting that when the real heat came on late, some out in front would bust (which actually happened) and leave him with a green jacket by default (Bradbury gold medal style?). Sure, I heard him say he was hoping to go out strong and grab some early birdies but instead bogeyed. So perhaps he decided to go conservative and just ensure a damn good payday.

Overall, just think, you're not going to be in contention in the last round there that often. Forget about what size pay-cheque and throw everything at the glory of winning. I'm not saying attack madly. No, this course is far too hazardous. But just push your capabilities to the limits. Why not me? Give it all you've got (in true Tigers' style). Matsuyama set up his victory by positive, brave golf in the 3rd round that gave him the buffer to hold on for a win.

Final broad comment: Aussie players have the brilliance to win here again, but have to learn that when they get on a great run of under par holes, don't just give it straight back to the course. This is what has prevented my favourite Aussie player, Jason Day, winning. Both Leish and Smith got to about 4 or more under in early rounds, then gave their advantage straight back.

And maybe less on the beers and more on the practice range ... if you want to win this one. Really hard to beat the Yanks who come out of a talent-laden and highly competitive college competition as hardened, confident and ruthless competitors.

But the best internationals are managing to do it some years.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You beat me to it, Red. Funny thing is that I intended to comment on this to one of your prior posts but wife called me in for dinner and son was over, never got back to it.

But I found that all quite puzzling. Firstly ball from off the tee looked way left, as you say, an 'absolute duck hook way into the tree line.' The course watchers positioned on the treeline edge had little idea where it went, BUT I noticed were looking behind them and possibly some spectators on the walking track well behind looking and ducking. It would be interesting to go back and have another look. Don't think there was any discernible noise of hitting trees, unlike late when that Salonikas smashed into some.

Then, much later, the camera pans back and there it is. His ball is lying nicely about 6-8m out on the 2nd cut, or fairway edge with a very negotiable shot at the green. Interesting! Don't think it would be the first time a US player's ball mysteriously just landed in a miraculously better position (via patriotic fan assistance)..

Quick 2 other points. Hate the US biased coverage, although I know I probably just have to expect it. But hate how they treat our players. Leish was a contender but so often we got more coverage of Mickelson, Reed, Cink, Simpson way back. Fine, show some highlights of them but don't miss key shots of Aussie or other players that are genuinely in contention. Once Leish dropped to -5, he was almost written off.

Finally, can't believe golf authorities incredibly strict policing of players - like Ancer getting 2-shot penalty for just brushing ever so slightly a peak of sand behind his bunkered ball. But spectators camp around the greens with almost full picnic gear and continually so dumb about incoming ball flight and allow stoppage of where a ball should have ended up, that could often affect outcomes. Just find that ridiculous. I've been to many a tournament and know how to watch closely for, anticipate and avoid impact. So many nuff-nuffs on courses these days. Surely could be roped further back or camp-chairs etc. forbidden.

Well Kings of Leon, Spiiieeef - for all his arsey golf - isn’t regarded as someone who flouts the rules. In fact, (and despite all his incessant blithering after every single shot too), he’s actually quite well liked on Tour. The same can’t be said for a few other big names.....

As for US fans, I’ve been to heaps of majors over there and yeah, they can be obnoxious and on the odd occasion do something to benefit one of their own. However, given the behaviour of fans at RM during the Presidents Cup, I’m not sure if Australians aren’t beginning to keep pace with them.

Yes, the US commentating and coverage can be infuriating. I’ve lost count of how many times they’ll show one of the American “darlings” who’s completely out of contention at the expense of an international leader. Woods, Mickelson have long been their go to players in that respect, and now BDC is and Dustin Johnson as well.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Well Kings of Leon, Spiiieeef - for all his arsey golf - isn’t regarded as someone who flouts the rules. In fact, (and despite all his incessant blithering after every single shot too), he’s actually quite well liked on Tour. The same can’t be said for a few other big names.....

As for US fans, I’ve been to heaps of majors over there and yeah, they can be obnoxious and on the odd occasion do something to benefit one of their own. However, given the behaviour of fans at RM during the Presidents Cup, I’m not sure if Australians aren’t beginning to keep pace with them.

Yes, the US commentating and coverage can be infuriating. I’ve lost count of how many times they’ll show one of the American “darlings” who’s completely out of contention at the expense of an international leader. Woods, Mickelson have long been their go to players in that respect, and now BDC is and Dustin Johnson as well.
Yer, would never suggest Spieth would transgress, just some of those crazy fans. And agree, Aussies at PC were similarly uncouth - too many on the beers.

One of my great joys from this year's M@A was seeing BDC and DJ crash and burn. Thankfully some courses are not easily over-powered by sheer length and power, at least not in the American April. Big difference for DJ who must have thought he'd made an easy conquest of the old girl back last November. Always thought he's not a great natural putter, and he proved it here when even his brother being allowed to read the greens thoroughly for him, failed. (Another thing I disagree with - caddies being allowed to be a huge advisor on putts).

For all I know, BDC might be a top bloke, but I just look at him and think along the lines of ... Dank, Bummers, peptides, steroids. Again, no evidence, I just don't want to see this great game destroyed by musclebound guys taking that sort of approach to loot the prizemoney.

Want to see golf remain a game of great skill, character, finesse and class under pressure. Not dominated by gear, technology or power.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Maybe a British or Us open
You mean he did a Spieth? Clearly a really good recovery player ... but so are most of the top pros these days.
Yes, they are. The good "recovery players" are all good putters. Tiger used to get out of gaol so often with his putter.
Matsuyama didn't have to scramble too much on the last day, he only missed 2 or 3 fairways, and was on the dance floor on all the par 3's except 12.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yer, would never suggest Spieth would transgress, just some of those crazy fans. And agree, Aussies at PC were similarly uncouth - too many on the beers.

One of my great joys from this year's M@A was seeing BDC and DJ crash and burn. Thankfully some courses are not easily over-powered by sheer length and power, at least not in the American April. Big difference for DJ who must have thought he'd made an easy conquest of the old girl back last November. Always thought he's not a great natural putter, and he proved it here when even his brother being allowed to read the greens thoroughly for him, failed. (Another thing I disagree with - caddies being allowed to be a huge advisor on putts).

For all I know, BDC might be a top bloke, but I just look at him and think along the lines of ... Dank, Bummers, peptides, steroids. Again, no evidence, I just don't want to see this great game destroyed by musclebound guys taking that sort of approach to loot the prizemoney.

Want to see golf remain a game of great skill, character, finesse and class under pressure. Not dominated by gear, technology or power.

Yep. Concur with a lot of that.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Nice round by C.Smith today. Course should suit him.

(Had a massive barney with a fw*t caddie when I was playing there at Harbour Town a few years ago. Absolute ahole.)

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Went into a couple of golf shops in the city last week, first time I’ve been in a golf shop in years . Found all the big brand drivers all look incredibly similar , look like theyve all gone back to a more traditional shape from above , I also see the old classic blade shape is back in vain as for the putters again every company has a very similar sitting mallet type , I see prices have gone up again .

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’m back, nah not really , need the exercise so intend on playing once a week, so decided to go retro, so how many clubs can you carry nowadays ;) . Hopefully they arrive before I play my old new club next Friday as they tell me there’s 170 bunkers
06D61873-03FC-4128-B346-759C7067CE3C.jpeg