Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Yep. You’re off at 7am with Kevin.

golf lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos
I told you that you had to get off your back foot , I think I’ve misinformed you , my mistake

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not going on form in their last event. Rose flying home coming into great form in the BMW PGA at Wentworth if you managed to see.

PS - Apologies for the tardiness of this, but kind of assume that keen golfers like me would watch anyway, especially if suffering through another lockdown, but highly recommend having a look at the last round of the Dutch Open if you missed it. Should still be available on Kayo.

Played at a really interesting (much better viewing than the Fortinet) course, Bernardus, near Amsterdam I think. Amazing drama with a battling pro whom you may never have heard of, Broberg from Sweden, battling back for his first tournament win for 6 years (since beating everybody's non-mate in P. Reed in the 2015 BMW PGA) after 'going through hell' in his own words. Being chased down by a very promising looking young German in Mattias Schmid.

Good warm-up viewing for the RC ... if you're not too busy golfing ... lucky bastards!
Save for a few planted pines, that course could have been a Victorian linksy sand belt type course.

Glad that Broberg won. Those commentators were disgraceful - they were almost cheering for him to choke. Talk about over the top negative commentary eg he totally pulled his tee shot on the par 3 17. Yeah he totally pulled it ok. Almost into the hole. Makes birdie.

How good is golf. Anyone can win at anytime.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
That online booking for a game is as nerve racking as getting finals tickets.

Ryder cup is at Bethpage Black in 2024, I think it’s about an hour from Manhattan, I think I might go

edit : it’s in 2025 and it’s 1 hour 16 minutes from Manhattan , I like the thought of whacking any yank over the head with a stick who yells out “ get in the hoooooooooooooole” :))

Last edited:
  • Haha

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
7:05 a.m. CT: Jordan Spieth/Justin Thomas (USA) vs. Jon Rahm/Sergio Garcia (Europe)
7:21 a.m. CT: Dustin Johnson/Collin Morikawa (USA) vs. Paul Casey/Viktor Hovland (Europe)
7:37 a.m. CT: Brooks Koepka/Daniel Berger (USA) vs. Lee Westwood/Matt Fitzpatrick (Europe)
7:53 a.m. CT: Patrick Cantlay/Xander Schauffele (USA) vs. Rory McIlroy/Ian Poulter (Europe)

Really looking forward to the first match. That first tee will be going off tap. Just hope Thomas is ready to be playing from some interesting spots!

And will love watching the McIlroy/Poulter v Cant/Xand match. Just wish I could stay up all night.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I'd run a tipping comp for *smile* and giggles but they don't announce the afternoon pairings until after the mornings matches I think? Unlikely to be too many wake.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Interesting start to the course with 2 potentially driveable par 4's and 2 reachable par 5's for the bombers in the first 6 holes. If the bombers are driving well it presents a distinct advantage. I imagine they will let rip in the 4 balls at least.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I
That online booking for a game is as nerve racking as getting finals tickets.

Ryder cup is at Bethpage Black in 2024, I think it’s about an hour from Manhattan, I think I might go

edit : it’s in 2025 and it’s 1 hour 16 minutes from Manhattan , I like the thought of whacking any yank over the head with a stick who yells out “ get in the hoooooooooooooole” :))
You won’t be playing on Sunday. Or Monday either possibly.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Save for a few planted pines, that course could have been a Victorian linksy sand belt type course.

Glad that Broberg won. Those commentators were disgraceful - they were almost cheering for him to choke. Talk about over the top negative commentary eg he totally pulled his tee shot on the par 3 17. Yeah he totally pulled it ok. Almost into the hole. Makes birdie.

How good is golf. Anyone can win at anytime.
Yer, sure they were aiming for a linksy style. Apparently the designer, 'Phillips ... went further back in time, to the Netherlands as it existed before much of the country’s low marshland was dyked and drained for farming." Situated not far from "Loonse en Drunense Duinen National Park, the ‘Brabant Sahara’ known for its shifting sands. The upper layer of dark sand, a result of the intensive farming of the previous years, was totally replaced.

Interesting article here: https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/bernardus-golf-landscape-artist

I didn't think that of the commentators at the time, but retrospectively I perceive what you mean. They were certainly calling it as if witnessing what was going to be a spectacular meltdown loss (Greg Norman at Augusta with Faldo came to my mind!), and he was really sweating on many shots. They definitely jumped onboard Schmid since he was playing flawless golf until one botched shot.

But I just loved the drama of it - bet you loved Broberg's chip in for a bogey on what was looking like a disaster hole! It really brings home the pressure these guys must deal with day-in, day-out in a big tournament.

Reminded me the professional game is just so much about mental composure; at least as much as shot-making ability with your sticks. It's a high-stress way of making a living; we can all get easily fooled by the huge $$ many make. But there's a heap of other pros battling and scraping for a living underneath the glamour top ~100 whatever. So it was great to see Broberg 'stick it up 'em.'

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I’m paired with Burnside in the foursomes ? Against Spieth and Thomas? Geezuz Burnside. Just hit a couple of fairways and get your putts within at least 10 feet. I’ll carry us with the rest. What a log.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Looking at those foursome match ups, hate to say it, but in player rankings alone, I wouldn’t be surprised at a 4-0 USA outcome. Hope not. Need that special Euro TEAM spirit. Cmooon !!

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’m paired with Burnside in the foursomes ? Against Spieth and Thomas? Geezuz Burnside. Just hit a couple of fairways and get your putts within at least 10 feet. I’ll carry us with the rest. What a log.
Are you going to be able to get enough on the Pro V to carry it to the fairways …….Let Redford Ride

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Not sure about Hovland as a foursomes player…
Why's that? I can safely say you know more about it than me. I never understand why some players are better at certain formats. I just thought they were all guns.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Why's that? I can safely say you know more about it than me. I never understand why some players are better at certain formats. I just thought they were all guns.
Just his putting. It’s not great. In foursomes the putting pressure goes up a notch.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Just his putting. It’s not great. In foursomes the putting pressure goes up a notch.
That makes sense. Cheers.
The broadcasters have stuffed up the audio when players have been walking out on the 1st. Pretty poor given the atmosphere it gives to the coverage.