Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ffs. My burgeoning golf career is under serious threat. Been told I have a high probability of needing a total joint replacement in my middle left finger (no doubt from over use on the roads and at the football), plus the possibility of both knees needing replacement as well.

If I can get back out there at all, do they have a Tour for old robots ????

Geez. Bit devo at the moment….seems the finger alone might be a big problem where gripping the club properly is concerned.
The finger problem is definitely a result of RSI by the sound of it. I suffered from the same thing awhile back, I fixed it by reverting to bras d'honneur ;):))

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The finger problem is definitely a result of RSI by the sound of it. I suffered from the same thing awhile back, I fixed it by reverting to bras d'honneur ;):))

Heh heh heh. Not quite. It’s an old footy injury that has already undergone reconstructive surgery ie wires, hooks etc. It’s just about given up the ghost it seems.

Only the skill of the surgeon may be able to buy me some more time before a replacement, and that’ll still sideline me for a long time anyway based on previous experience. Otherwise, it ain’t looking good longer term.

Baseball grip ??? Happy Gilmour approach ?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ffs. My burgeoning golf career is under serious threat. Been told I have a high probability of needing a total joint replacement in my middle left finger (no doubt from over use on the roads and at the football), plus the possibility of both knees needing replacement as well.

Geez. Bit devo at the moment….seems the finger alone might be a big problem where gripping the club properly is concerned.
No good at all Red.

I ruptured a disc in my back 6 months ago and playing first golf game since then on Saturday. I don't play much nowadays but intend to when kids get older so am hoping all will be OK Sat.

It aint no fun getting old.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No good at all Red.

I ruptured a disc in my back 6 months ago and playing first golf game since then on Saturday. I don't play much nowadays but intend to when kids get older so am hoping all will be OK Sat.

It aint no fun getting old.
Good luck with that. I can manage a degenerative spine with a lot of stretching, anti inflams on occasion, and knowing when to ease off. But the finger and knees appear to have got the better of me. See the first surgeon about the knees on Monday. Very painful locking up of them both at the moment. Feel like I’m shredding them actually. Totally out of action.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Sorry to hear that Redford.

You will get there with the knees, might need a swing adjustment if you put a lot of torque through the left one in your backswing turn but plenty of people get back to golf after replacements.

Fingers are bastards to repair. I haven't had much to do with joint replacements but I've heard they are pretty good, I think you'll find it will work just fine for a golf grip.
Thanks TBR. Hope you’re right. The first PIP volar plate reco about 14 years ago was an absolute *smile* to deal with after. Took 9 months before I could get the motion and strength back to grip the club. Very painful the first few months as well.

Whatever, looks like I’m out of action for a while. GH dealing with the finger and TW the knees.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

deleted

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Got great care then so that's half the battle won.

It'll be at least three months before they will want you launching a full swing with the knee but you'll probably be having a chip and a putt after two if the finger goes well so at least the short game should be in good nick when you get back.
Yeah. Thanks again TBR. I’m lucky to get access to those guys, really.

And yeah, having had two nasty full recos on one of the knees, I know what’s involved there too. I’ve got torn medial meniscus in both at the moment, bone spurs and floating debris as well. Hopefully I can get away with just a clean out of both, and buy a couple more years before replacement work, but we’ll see. The finger is a lost cause though. That’ll require some pretty invasive work.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Watch out for Sam Horsfield next year. Has one of the best swings on Tour I reckon. Really starting to come into his own.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Watch out for Sam Horsfield next year. Has one of the best swings on Tour I reckon. Really starting to come into his own.
Yeh, there's some pretty good young players around that 25 years old on the Euro tour

Horsfield, Macintyre, , Migliozzi, Armitage, Min Woo Lee, Valimaki

It's a tough gig though, so much talent out there.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeh, there's some pretty good young players around that 25 years old on the Euro tour

Horsfield, Macintyre, , Migliozzi, Armitage, Min Woo Lee, Valimaki

It's a tough gig though, so much talent out there.
The Hojgaard brothers.

Reactions: 1 users