Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Would a single player have different brands for driver/irons/wedges?

I always wondered if it was like cricket where players are not actually using the product they are endorsing, but something specially made for them and done up to look like the product they are endorsing.

By the way, lost in the US Open was the announcement that the DP Tour has not banned LIV players from its next event.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I always wondered if it was like cricket where players are not actually using the product they are endorsing, but something specially made for them and done up to look like the product they are endorsing.

By the way, lost in the US Open was the announcement that the DP Tour has not banned LIV players from its next event.
Which is very interesting. And PGA finally talking about some genuine World tournaments: Europe/Asia/ME but Australia left out again, despite some lip service.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I work with a guy who has had a lot to do with Ping , he says they try to move into the younger market with there copying of a lot of Scotty type stuff , however there main market is still the 40+ ( golfers from the 80s) I use ping 59 irons , as good a club as I’ve had

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You can see what equipment winning players are using here. Certain products are very popular most notably the type of ball being used with the Titleist Pro V being easily the most dominant for a lot of years now.

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
I work with a guy who has had a lot to do with Ping , he says they try to move into the younger market with there copying of a lot of Scotty type stuff , however there main market is still the 40+ ( golfers from the 80s) I use ping 59 irons , as good a club as I’ve had

I always wanted a set of Ping Eye 2 irons when I was a youngster.

Wonder how they would compare to todays versions.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

They were great back in the day when they first came out. Distinct competitive advantage v other irons at the time until everyone else caught up.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I used to have the Greg Norman Cobra's and then moved to Mizuno. I remember borrowing my bosses Mizuno clubs one day and shot 68 at Sanctuary Lakes and that was it I moved to Mizuno. I just loved the look of the club at address. FWIW have never broken par again!!

I have since gone away from the blades (simply don't play enough and was never really good enough) to the MP-18 MMC. Much more playable for a 10 marker who plays half a dozen games a year.

But I reckon some of those Mizuno blades are the prettiest clubs you'll ever see.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017

It's like as a kid I always wanted a Dunlop Max 200G tennis racquet. Never got one though.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
What's funny is they interviewed some US tour players prior to the US Open (all anti-LIV attitude players anyway) and they all raved about how the PGA tour grows the game and does great things for cities/towns etc.............in their own country.

I reckon some in the US think the earth starts at New York and finishes at LA.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I used to have the Greg Norman Cobra's and then moved to Mizuno. I remember borrowing my bosses Mizuno clubs one day and shot 68 at Sanctuary Lakes and that was it I moved to Mizuno. I just loved the look of the club at address. FWIW have never broken par again!!

I have since gone away from the blades (simply don't play enough and was never really good enough) to the MP-18 MMC. Much more playable for a 10 marker who plays half a dozen games a year.

But I reckon some of those Mizuno blades are the prettiest clubs you'll ever see.
They certainly are I used to have a set of TP 11s , the big difference I found with Blades and cavity backs was the gap between the long irons , I never hit my 2 iron much further then my 4 iron , then I got a set of Titleist DCIs and got the correct gap in distance between clubs .

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
For those having a punt on the “ Open” I should be able to give a pitch report on the Wednesday ;) can’t imagine there’s any way I’ll get lost on the 10 minute walk back to the hotel and forget to file a report

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Were they the ones that were made illegal and then it was relaxed for amateurs only to be able to use them?
They had “ boxed” groves , club owners had to send them back to Ping to be re grooved , they got a nice little card to say that the clubs were now legal, then they released the Ping eye 2 + which had legal v grooves

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
Is there a bigger fit chucker after a bad shot or putt than Jon Rahm ?

I don’t mind golfers berating themselves but when everything and anything is somebody or something else’s fault (eg the wind, the green, the lie etc etc), it really *smile* me.

My wallet wants Snuffler to win, but I’ll take Fitz, Clitatoris, Burns, Hadwin and especially Dahmen. Meh Rory. No to Rahm.
i actually enjoy rahm's anything can happen viewing.
his second language english is better than mine.

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
magnificent tenacious.
proof no ones ever too far back.
credit r/f only one to recognize fitz ball striking.
now that's entertainment.

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane

Mizuno are indeed a very attractive club.

I went to GolfWorld a few years back with the intent of buying a new 3 iron.

They had very few in stock, the bloke looking after me gave me a 2 iron (forget the brand) to try out as well which wasn’t too bad.

Then gave me the Mizuno 1 iron. What a club. Flushed it every time into the net and bought it on the spot. Still in my bag now and my favourite club, though doesn’t get pulled out a hell of a lot. Comes in handy on a couple of tight driving holes up here around Keperra, Redcliffe, Brookwater and North Lakes(RIP) though.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I play with a set of forged Mizuno MP 63’s. There is no other club with the soft forged feel that they produce in Japan at their foundry. Clean, classic, awesome looking clubs. Thinking about a new Mizuno set right now actually.

You’d be amazed how many pros secretly use them (eg Brooks Koepka when he was winning majors and didn’t have a sponsorship with a manufacturer and before he eventually signed a staff contract with Srixon.) I have a much more recent set of Titleist CB’s as well but I had to go back to the old Mizunos. The feel is better.

Scotty Cameron Newport blade putters for me, although I have a Toulon Las Vegas face balanced putter as well. Titleist driver, 3 wood and 19 and 21 degree hybrids.

Bought 3 Titleist Vokey wedges on the weekend to replace the old, face worn Cleveland Tour Action’s and CG 15’s - 48, 52 and 60. All low bounce. Sensational.

• Love