Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
My heart is telling me we are going to get our third premiership in four years but my head says Geelong are in the GF for a reason, they are a very good well coached side whatever we say about Scott so it won't be an easy game. All week it will be mind games but our ace in the hole is Emma Murray who will settle our players so that should give us an unbeatable edge

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Having listened to Emma talk about the grand final prep, I'm now fairly calm, well calmer than in the lead up to 17 & 19. We know how to win this this. We have the talent, the coaches, the game plan, the mental fortitude and most importantly, we know what it takes to win because we've done it before.

Geelong, hopefully, will be going into this match emotionally charged. Gablett's last dance, Dangerfield's Premiership, Scott's validation as a coach. If you listen to Emma, that's not how you want to go into the biggest match of your career.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Having listened to Emma talk about the grand final prep, I'm now fairly calm, well calmer than in the lead up to 17 & 19. We know how to win this this. We have the talent, the coaches, the game plan, the mental fortitude and most importantly, we know what it takes to win because we've done it before.

Geelong, hopefully, will be going into this match emotionally charged. Gablett's last dance, Dangerfield's Premiership, Scott's validation as a coach. If you listen to Emma, that's not how you want to go into the biggest match of your career.

on SEN?

Reactions: 1 users

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
I feel like this is our first 21st century grand final in many ways; strange as it is to say. We won premierships in 2017 and 2019 by a collective 137 points, against sides that had no idea of the gaping chasm in ability until the second quarter.

In the past, we put our feet up in the premiership quarter while our players started their victory lap 60 minutes early. By the fourth quarter, the bashful among us began Norm Smith medal considerations while the haughty taunted our hapless opponents in perfect harmony. This week, we can’t expect to hear the Richmond equivalent of the fat lady singing so soon.

We watched those grand finals in 2017 and 2019 with supreme optimism masquerading as quiet confidence. With our beloved Richmond players close by, and our tiger family and friends only a tram ride or cab fare away from a hug and a song. This year, our Victorian faithful must try to connect with state enforced limitations, while the mighty tigers battle it out against our one true rival for the holy grail. In a city world’s away from the sacred turf of the MCG.

Back home, we are still under pressure from the virus, but like our tiger heroes we can overcome this plague together.
You don't need to congregate in person to worship at the altar of Richmond after all. “No matter where you are, we can hear your roar.”

So if you can’t embrace your tiger comrade, embrace the uniqueness that makes this quintessentially a Richmond year. If you can’t sing arm in arm in before the game, shout the song from the rooftops so the whole of Melbourne knows what time it is. What time is it again? It’s *smile*ing tiger time.

EAT EM ALIVE

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
My heart is telling me we are going to get our third premiership in four years but my head says Geelong are in the GF for a reason, they are a very good well coached side whatever we say about Scott so it won't be an easy game. All week it will be mind games but our ace in the hole is Emma Murray who will settle our players so that should give us an unbeatable edge
We will either stomp on Geelong and crush their soul with this grand final. If we win expect the geelong fc to spiral down the ladder.
Or they will finally over come us on the big stage and will be a over the top joyful occasions for cat fans that we will never live down.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Hmmm...haven’t even for one second contemplated losing. It’s not going to happen.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Why are so many people saying Geelong (read Dangerfield and Ablett) ‘deserve’ this?

Ablett has two and Danger hasn’t been good enough. How does that make them deserving?

Reactions: 5 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
At what stage will the gates be open for people to walk in gratis? before or after final siren?

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Why are so many people saying Geelong (read Dangerfield and Ablett) ‘deserve’ this?

Ablett has two and Danger hasn’t been good enough. How does that make them deserving?

If Dustin had of left us for 1.8M x 5yrs + 2 more on plenty .... then, once he figured out that the team he went to were *smile* and then he said..... please let me come home.... well imo he could've gone and *smile* himself!
Don't quite get all the love for Ablett from Geelong fans... Dangerfield = figjam!

Reactions: 4 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Contrasting Bachars and Dangers narratives is an encouraging exercise.

Bachar; we dont think about outcomes, just the process that increases the liklihood of a favourable outcome.

Danger; ive spoken to teammates and friends who have won and lost grandfinals. Those that have won them say its great and those that have lost them say its dreadful.

That stood out like anything to me too. He was totally preoccupied with the outcome. Their prelim win means nothing and he’s contemplating losing the Grand Final with a look of despair on his face.

Hopefully we get to see him break under scoreboard pressure!

Reactions: 6 users

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007

It’s exactly the same narrative as 2019. The entire week, all the hype and talk was about the opposition. In contrast we were treated with disdain!
By Saturday Geelong would’ve played the game in their heads several times over, which will be to their detriment. They are too arrogant and emotional.
If we bring the heat and sustain it, we will win comfortably.

Reactions: 6 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
That stood out like anything to me too. He was totally preoccupied with the outcome. Their prelim win means nothing and he’s contemplating losing the Grand Final with a look of despair on his face.

Hopefully we get to see him break under scoreboard pressure!
Rioli said the same. Totally focused on the process.
Not getting ahead of themselves

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The good thing about this way of thinking is that even if you make a mistake, it doesn't matter. Keep following the process and things will work out. If you are focused only the end outcome a mistake becomes all-consuming.

Reactions: 9 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Emma Murray is a master of her trade.

and her trade is the simplest and most complex trade on earth.

Reactions: 2 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Nerves setting in - early this year. I REALLY want to beat this team bad. Humiliate them and relegate them to insignificance.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Not entirely sure how I'm feeling this year.
2017, just glad to be there, 2019, full of expectation, this year, almost dread, couldn't bear to lose to this mob.

Reactions: 9 users

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
For me, winning this year would erase 25 years of endless abuse I've copped from Geesook supporters. From forlorn days at the G as Gary Snr kicked a lazy 10, to sitting in the Geelong members section in pouring rain at VFL Park in 95 as we were torn to shreds. It would close the door for me and would be our piece de resistance!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Emma Murray is a master of her trade.

and her trade is the simplest and most complex trade on earth.
it is. don't get ahead of yourselves. live in the moment. stay focused.
easy to say, executing it another matter. the mind is a large place.
its a discipline akin to Eastern practices that have been going for millenniums.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
it is. don't get ahead of yourselves. live in the moment. stay focused.
easy to say, executing it another matter. the mind is a large place.
its a discipline akin to Eastern practices that have been going for millenniums.

yep. you only have to try recognising what's firing off in the head for 20 seconds,

to realise how mental we all are

(Im assuming everyone's 20 seconds goes something like Dusty, Lynchy, Russian Camelot, Naked woman, naked woman, Russian Camelot, dusty, dusty, $hai, naked woman, Russian Camelot, $hai, dusty, naked woman?)

and how tough it is to recognise and hush down.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users