Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
yep. you only have to try recognising what's firing off in the head for 20 seconds,

to realise how mental we all are

(Im assuming everyone's 20 seconds goes something like Dusty, Lynchy, Russian Camelot, Naked woman, naked woman, Russian Camelot, dusty, dusty, $hai, naked woman, Russian Camelot, $hai, dusty, naked woman?)

and how tough it is to recognise and hush down.
Occasionally I get a naked Dusty stuck in there as well :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
yep. you only have to try recognising what's firing off in the head for 20 seconds,

to realise how mental we all are

(Im assuming everyone's 20 seconds goes something like Dusty, Lynchy, Russian Camelot, Naked woman, naked woman, Russian Camelot, dusty, dusty, $hai, naked woman, Russian Camelot, $hai, dusty, naked woman?)

and how tough it is to recognise and hush down.

No Marlion?? Someone hacked your account? :rotfl2

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I think Chris scott would've taken some things from their loss.
He's a smart operator.
This will be a tough affair.

While I agree with you (6 of the 8 finals winners had lost to their opponent last time they met), clearances were 32-16 against last time in R17. We have significantly improved in that area since Edwards and Prestia returned. Although I do think Saturday will be a much harder game compared to 2017 and 2019. I do feel its gonna be reasonably close. But last Friday night proved we can handle tense situations on the biggest stage.

Reactions: 3 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
For me, winning this year would erase 25 years of endless abuse I've copped from Geesook supporters. From forlorn days at the G as Gary Snr kicked a lazy 10, to sitting in the Geelong members section in pouring rain at VFL Park in 95 as we were torn to shreds. It would close the door for me and would be our piece de resistance!
Not to mention sitting at docklands watching them shellack us by 150+

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seeing Biggy announced as our GF Sprint contestant reminded me of 2017. Seeing Menadue win, and win so convincingly that he played up to the crowd before crossing the line, was the cherry on the cake that was our first Premiership in 37 years.

Reactions: 2 users

mainlandy

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2004
Mont Albert
Assuming there are no changes...

I think the 22 we are taking into the grand final this year is stronger than last years 2019 premiership side

In: Balta, Mcintosh, Graham
Out: Soldo, Ellis, Caddy

Mcintosh and Ellis are both gut runners, but Kmac is way better one on one, he rarely gets beaten. And in the air he is superior as well, he never takes a backward step, and again rarely gets beaten in aerial duels.

Soldo obviously is a big loss but we have managed to cover him beautifully the last two weeks, especially against Port, where it was mostly Astbury giving Nank a big chop out in the ruck, where he more than held his own. I think it was a masterstroke by the coaches to give Nank such a big rest as he was the difference in the last quarter. That was as good a rucking exhibition as you will see and his saving marks in defence will be stuff of legend. So with Soldo out it has made us more flexible, with Balta even spending time in the forward line. And as much as I despise and think Dixon is overrated, Balta did a magnificent job.

I know Caddy and Graham aren't similar players but I think if you rated these two right now Graham is the superior player. Not only is he so hard at the ball, and wins his own ball, but he is good on the outside as well. I reckon he is the best kick in the team, if you give him space and time he delivers it lace out. He's also a great tackler and can play the defensive roll to perfection. He's a Jack of all trades. Caddy loves a goal, but so does Graham, who does not miss many when he gets the chance.

As much as I love George, I reckon the team would be even stronger with him out and Caddy in but won't happen.

So with our side being stronger that last years grand final team it's going to take a monumental effort from Geelong to beat us, everything will have to go right for them.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
When I get nervous about this game I remember Richmond is a great team, and Geelong is a very good team.

Ablett, 36 and past his best. Taylor, 34 and past his best. Selwood, 32 and past his best. Henderson, 31 and past his best. Yeah, Danger and Hawkins are at their peaks, but so are Dusty and Lynch. The only one of our blokes you could say is past his best is Jack, and he is compensating for his ailing body with his peerless footy brain. Prestia is better than Duncan. Sheds is better than Guthrie. Grimes is better than Stewart. Balta is better than Henry. Shai *smile* all over Greg-Brian Cryin Divers. Trent Cotchin. Nick Vlastuin. Bachar Houli. Luke Dalhaus, Jed Bews, Mark O'Connor.

We know how to do it. Our blokes never get ahead of themselves or worry about anything but the next contest. Our support cast is better than theirs. We're faster and will bring the pressure even more so than Port did when they beat Geelong three weeks ago. Several of their blokes have been shown to crumble when the heat is on. Duncan was invisible against Port. Miers. Rohan. Parfitt.

We have more ways to win. Clearance, territory, rebound.

Tigers by 26.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Cannot underestimate how much of a laughing stock they made us with that game. It took us years to beat them after this.
Yeah we had beaten them at the Bowling Alley in 2006. Pretty sure the massacre at Chernobyl in 2007 was the first in a sequence of wins against us (was it 13 or 14 straight) that only ended when we beat them in the 2017 QF (we actually should have beaten them in late 2016 but, yeah, Ben Lennon).

In the dark years from 1983 - 2016 Geelong dominated us probably more than a team has dominated another team in any period I can recall. Even when we made finals in 1995 and 2001 they still beat us. They were better than us in 1995 but in 2001 they were *smile* and they still beat us. I remember going to the game at the Bowling Alley and it was all square at 3/4 time only for them to end up winning by 5 goals!! *smile* long drive home with a Geelong supporter in the car! That was the chicken *smile* game.

They really *smile* me Geelong. We owe them a lot more pain. Let's pile it on them on Saturday!

Reactions: 8 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I guess the argument when/if we win Saturday night, will be we've only beaten an interstate team again, with the match played in QLD.

Reactions: 1 user

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
What's the thoughts on how the tough slog win last week with half our side iced up after the game. Will it have taken alot out of our side. The other mob have had 2 training drill games and potentially will be fresher. If we play our best we win that I have no doubt but that game last week sits in the back of my head.

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah we had beaten them at the Bowling Alley in 2006. Pretty sure the massacre at Chernobyl in 2007 was the first in a sequence of wins against us (was it 13 or 14 straight) that only ended when we beat them in the 2017 QF (we actually should have beaten them in late 2016 but, yeah, Ben Lennon).

In the dark years from 1983 - 2016 Geelong dominated us probably more than a team has dominated another team in any period I can recall. Even when we made finals in 1995 and 2001 they still beat us. They were better than us in 1995 but in 2001 they were *smile* and they still beat us. I remember going to the game at the Bowling Alley and it was all square at 3/4 time only for them to end up winning by 5 goals!! *smile* long drive home with a Geelong supporter in the car! That was the chicken *smile* game.

They really *smile* me Geelong. We owe them a lot more pain. Let's pile it on them on Saturday!

Yeah was at the Dump for that game, I think it was one of the few games I ever left early. My young daughter was with me and I could tell she was thinking "why do you even support this mob".

On the positive side, they smashed us in H&A for 30 years or more, but beating them in finals counts for more I reckon.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah was at the Dump for that game, I think it was one of the few games I ever left early. My young daughter was with me and I could tell she was thinking "why do you even support this mob".
I had a prior engagement but it was one of the late Sunday games. We got home at the start of the game and I asked my then 10 year old if he wanted to go. He said yes so we jumped in the car and drove into Chernobyl's underground car park at quarter time 10 goals down. Watched the second quarter and we were 20 goals down at half time. Asked him if he wanted to leave. He said no we'll stay so I bought him something to eat. After he'd eaten his chips and had a drink, at 3/4 time he said we can go now; so we did!

As bad as it was thankfully I only saw half the game :mhihi. I would have left at half time if he said yes!

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Emma’s great - her approach is just so measured and calm - she can now speak with such authority with the boys and I am so pleased the club has brought he back into the coaching team as in one of her earlier podcasts she talked about being let go by the tigers

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
What's the thoughts on how the tough slog win last week with half our side iced up after the game. Will it have taken alot out of our side. The other mob have had 2 training drill games and potentially will be fresher. If we play our best we win that I have no doubt but that game last week sits in the back of my head.

in terms of players bodies, its only about round 16.

I dont think fatigue is a factor.

Reactions: 3 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
My only concerns too and not many apart from you and me have brought this up.
Hope like hell that wasn’t our...

We owe The Geelong Divers a lot more pain.

To beat them in the GF would ease somewhat some of the pain they inflicted us.

To lose to them is just ‘unthinkable’.

City of Geelong are loving this, people out, pubs open , friends over & out in the streets.

Us in Melb , In Richmond city it just sad to not be able to watch it with friends, family, a barbecue, a drink..

The nerves have started and it’s Thursday. Don’t know how I’m going to go until Saturday NIGHT not Day , Saturday NIGHT.

I just can’t imagine having to listen to Scott, Dangerfield or Ablett if they were to ...can’t fathom it. I just can’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I had a prior engagement but it was one of the late Sunday games. We got home at the start of the game and I asked my then 10 year old if he wanted to go. He said yes so we jumped in the car and drove into Chernobyl's underground car park at quarter time 10 goals down. Watched the second quarter and we were 20 goals down at half time. Asked him if he wanted to leave. He said no we'll stay so I bought him something to eat. After he'd eaten his chips and had a drink, at 3/4 time he said we can go now; so we did!

As bad as it was thankfully I only saw half the game :mhihi. I would have left at half time if he said yes!

I can also remember a terrible belting by the Swans at Chernobyl around that period. Went to that too but stayed til the end. As we walked back through docklands after the game a Swans fan added insult to injury by trying to be nice to us.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

not a concern for me Mr Ho Chi Minh City Tiger, we have an extra days rest and our boys needed the conditioning, especially Prestia/Nank/Houli. The shorter quarters helped in this regard. I'd prefer to have to competitive games leading in than two bruise free footy games.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
not a concern for me Mr Ho Chi Minh City Tiger, we have an extra days rest and our boys needed the conditioning, especially Prestia/Nank/Houli. The shorter quarters helped in this regard. I'd prefer to have to competitive games leading in than two bruise free footy games.
That’s the thing too Ant.

Bruise free football vs bruise football..

We will see who it advantaged. As well as having an extra days recovery.