GREENS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GREENS

dukeos

Tiger Rookie
Jun 15, 2004
Whats your take on the Greens. Are they a spent force, or will this be a big election for them given the concern on climate change.

Would like to hear from their supporters what policies they think are good and bad. Read yesterday that one of their crew thought graffiti was aesthetically pleasing.

Personally, if they win the balance of power it will give me the heebee jeebeez big time.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
I dare say the Greens will do pretty well this election. Personally I don't like them, environmental fundamentalism is as bad as any other sort imo, but I don't think they are any worse than, say, the National party.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
They'll strengthen.

The Democrats are dead in the water and many Dem voters will shift to the Greens.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
I think they will do very well.

Also from the long run here is my 10 year punt on the Greens.

They are further left than the ALPis today, and this will not change any time soon. Most of the trade unions are grating at the centre-left focus of the ALP, and are already making noises about the Greens being more supportive of them on workers rights etc.

As soon as they get over the main roadblock (that the Greens want to shut down mining and pollutant manufacturing), I think the unions will head over to support the greens over the ALP. Bit of a big call, but the Greens seem a lot more focused on their agenda than the Dems ever have, and the environment will not disappear as a core issue any time soon.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
IMO they are an embarrassment. Stuffed if I know why anyone votes for them, other than to be seen as a bit alternative

Tiger29

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 2, 2007
Brisbane
Whilst I think protecting the environment is important, I wonder how important people will see it when they can't afford to repay their mortgages under high interest rates or the possibility of an increase in unemployment?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Tiger29 said:
Whilst I think protecting the environment is important, I wonder how important people will see it when they can't afford to repay their mortgages under high interest rates or the possibility of an increase in unemployment?

Geez, little Johnny has drummed this into every single Australian and now we're all scared sh!tless. Johnny's not doing too well with keeping rates down himself.

Some people may have real concerns that we are ruining the planet we live on and this is a more important issue to them.

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
jb03 said:
IMO they are an embarrassment. Stuffed if I know why anyone votes for them, other than to be seen as a bit alternative
exactly jb. :clap just a bunch of dictatorial zealots,that will cruel our country if they are ever elected in numbers.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Imagine if you could form a party that could look after the economy and the environment.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
Imagine if you could form a party that could look after the economy and the environment.

There's only one person that could lead such a party.

And he spends far too much time on PRE.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Disco08 said:

The Democrats nearly managed to be that before eating themselves alive.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
I don't really understand why people try to put the economy against the environment. At the end of the day, the environment wins out against the economy no matter what, even if you refuse to accept it.

The environment can do without the economy and would probably be much better off.
The economy (and every living thing on this planet), depend on the environment.

No environment - No living creatures. (No economy either ;))

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
lots of comments dissing the Greens, but not really backing it up with any evidence.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
lots of comments dissing the Greens, but not really backing it up with any evidence.

Evidence of what? Go and read some of their policies. Give some evidence of anything positive they have ever done. All they do is constantly whinge at the major parties safe in the acknowledge that they would never have to actually govern anyone or anything.

"Show me a Greens voter that has ever voluntarily fought a bushfire"

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
jb03 said:
Evidence of what? Go and read some of their policies. Give some evidence of anything positive they have ever done. All they do is constantly whinge at the major parties safe in the acknowledge that they would never have to actually govern anyone or anything.

"Show me a Greens voter that has ever voluntarily fought a bushfire"

You'r entitled to yr view, but why has their vote increased dramtically over the past four to five years?

And I know plenty of cfa volunteers who lean green.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Six Pack said:

1) They are against the coal, gas, and nuclear power sources. yet their alternatives (solar, geothermal, tidal, and wind) and still mostly in the experimental stages, and lack the efficiencies to take over base load YET. They want to shoot the horse before we make sure we have bought a new one.

2) On water reform, they are against more dams and desal. Thats fine, but this leaves us reliant on rainfall for our stocks. Unfortunately this means either population curbs and/or bans on industrial use. We all agree to the need for better water management, but shutting down masses of farmers, food and industrial manufacturers will cripple this economy for decades. We need to phase change in, not drop the elbow from the top rope.

3) For getting rid of carbon, they advocate 80% reduction by 2050 (this is off memory, may be wrong so I am happy to be corrected). Without replacements for cars and power generation in place, this again will create depression in our economy for decades as we adjust. We need to find alternatives for power generation FAST, and we need to encourage the move to hybrids now, but 80% by 2050 will require much more drastic actions than this.

4) The drugs policy historically has gone against what is acceptable for mainstream Australia. Last election they ran on herion being available from Govt pharmacies, turning the Fed Govt into a drug pusher does not resonate well to most, even if they are open minded on the drugs debate.

5) Their Victorian freak has argued against increased penalties on graffiti vandals because they are artists, and art is in the eye of the beholder. This may be the case, but most art is commissioned, not imposed on someone against their will.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
T74, I appreciate yr efforts in providing some evidence to back up yr position. Unlike some....

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
You needed T74 to summarise their policies for you, fair enough.

List all the CFA Volunteers you know that vote Green.

Thanks also for providing evidence of what good they have done. It will take me a while to read.