Ground Sizes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ground Sizes

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Brunswick St, it is still there as a public reserve. Always got the impression Fitzroy were never the same when they moved out of Fitzroy and took over the Junction Oval in StKilda. Don't really know as before I can remember.

MCG-Brunswick St comparison.jpg

Quite a small ground but the pic on page 1 of this thread shows it had deep pockets.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Corio Oval, lot's of room out there in the country, seemingly no room for width for their current ground though.

MCG-Corio Oval comparison.jpg

That is one big ground

DS

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What came before the Adelaide Oval - Football Park:

MCG-Football Park comparison.jpg

What is it with these SA and WA grounds, a lot of them seem to be longer and narrower than the MCG.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A postage stamp - Glenferrie Oval:

MCG-Glenferrie Oval comparison.jpg

Wow, very small and narrow, actually too narrow to fit the rules which makes me think it got squeezed and made narrower at some point, especially since the 1928 measure is a lot wider. But the measures made by Colin Hutchinson were supposed to be correct as to what he found.

DS

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Off to StKilda, to watch a Fitzroy game, well, that's how it was when I was a kid. The Junction Oval:

MCG-Junction Oval comparison.jpg

Small, but the dimensions are ok.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Somebody turned it into a soccer ground, the Lake Oval had little room for crowds especially on the wing with that strange scoreboard.

MCG-Lake Oval comparison.jpg

Just a bit narrower than the MCG, but very similar.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not going to draw the mud in the middle, here's Moorabbin where StKilda are again based:

MCG-Moorabbin Oval comparison.jpg

Same as the Lake Oval.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Is it possible to do Yarraville Oval, where Footscray played during the war? Or the Motordrome (on the Olympic Park site) where Melbourne played a few games in the 30's?

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Great thread. Spotless Stadium is an awful shape - went there in 2018 and forward pockets are almost non existent at the city end.

Gabba and Metricon not too dissimilar to the MCG which is a good thing for our team.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Is it possible to do Yarraville Oval, where Footscray played during the war? Or the Motordrome (on the Olympic Park site) where Melbourne played a few games in the 30's?

I don't have measurements for either of those. Might look up Yarraville as that has been a VFA ground so the numbers might be out there somewhere. The Motordome only had one VFL match from what I just looked up, but there was a proposal (which went very close) to relocate Richmond there.

Hard to find this stuff but that 1928 3LO Guide to football was invaluable for the old grounds although the dimensions they provide are often way out from what we see today, quite likely the boundaries have moved with new grandstands and the like being built. Accuracy seems to be an issue with all the sources!

Are Olympic Park and the Motordome the same ground? Doesn't seem completely clear.

I suppose I could try and find Toorak Park too, StKilda played there during the war when the Junction Oval was not available.

Something to look for a little later as I still have a few more grounds to create a comparison for.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Are Olympic Park and the Motordome the same ground? Doesn't seem completely clear.
Same site. Melbourne played three games there including one against us. There was also an exhibition match played under lights between Richmond and South Melbourne where live commentary at the ground was trialled.

Was interested as aerial photos suggest the ground was very circular (opposite of Yarraville).

motordrome.jpg

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
I always thought the Gabba was a much thinner ground, similar to Kardinia Park. I'm pleased that we can still run and spread. Bring on the Cats. We can do this.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I always thought the Gabba was a much thinner ground, similar to Kardinia Park. I'm pleased that we can still run and spread. Bring on the Cats. We can do this.
Ground itself holds no fears, happy for Salty to pump it up as a boogeyman. Mostly concerned about the humidity which made it slippery and seemed to blunt our edge against Brisbane. Same for Geelong I guess.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Ground itself holds no fears, happy for Salty to pump it up as a boogeyman. Mostly concerned about the humidity which made it slippery and seemed to blunt our edge against Brisbane. Same for Geelong I guess.
Yeah, a lot more players seem to lose their footing at the Gabba. I'm old school and say use the screw in studs instead of the moulded boots.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Same site. Melbourne played three games there including one against us. There was also an exhibition match played under lights between Richmond and South Melbourne where live commentary at the ground was trialled.

Was interested as aerial photos suggest the ground was very circular (opposite of Yarraville).

motordrome.jpg

Nice find that pic.

Looks almost round too although you wonder where they drew the boundaries. Looks a reasonable size but hard to tell.

The past truly is another planet.

Given the narrowness of Glenferrie I thought I would find a couple of aerial photos, so here is what I found on the excellent Boyles Football photos.

Both photos come from a 2008 book called Mud, Muscle and Blood which was published in 2008, there is a reference on Trove. Clearly the photos are much older:

Glenferrie_Oval_-_Mud_Muscle_and_Blood_-_Allsop_and_Haby.jpg

Glenferrie_Oval2_-_Mud_Muscle_and_Blood_-_Allsop_and_Haby.jpg

Very straight wings and noticeable that there appear to be only 2 railway lines, there are now 3. Also, the very early stand behind the goals is there and the stand to the left of the goals at what I would think is the Western end is not yet built. One of the pics on Boyles shows that old stand was still there in 1961.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Speaking of Yarraville oval mentioned earlier, here's an aerial photo:

118-3.jpg

Shape is long and not wide but size is difficult to work out from this.

DS

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Yeah, a lot more players seem to lose their footing at the Gabba. I'm old school and say use the screw in studs instead of the moulded boots.
Not sure they are allowed to wear them.
I will be filthy if our players are slipping over and not wearing the appropriate boots.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Nice find that pic.

Looks almost round too although you wonder where they drew the boundaries. Looks a reasonable size but hard to tell.

Given the narrowness of Glenferrie I thought I would find a couple of aerial photos, so here is what I found on the excellent Boyles Football photos.

Both photos come from a 2008 book called Mud, Muscle and Blood which was published in 2008, there is a reference on Trove. Clearly the photos are much older:

Very straight wings and noticeable that there appear to be only 2 railway lines, there are now 3. Also, the very early stand behind the goals is there and the stand to the left of the goals at what I would think is the Western end is not yet built. One of the pics on Boyles shows that old stand was still there in 1961.

DS
Go past there many times, gee the ground looks small.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Nice find that pic.

DS
I always remember Glenferrie Oval as being an odd shape and not symmetrical. Going by my now very old recollection i thought the train track side was deformed in some way. Anyone else remember this?