Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sure know somethin', or Dynasty talk

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Being biased, I reckon we are the best.

But putting that aside for some cold, hard-nosed analysis, which recent dynasty is the best? Been a lot of talk, us, Brisbane, Hawks, Geelong. Arguments can be made for each. All of Brisbane, us and Geelong dropped one they could or should have won to make 4. It still amazes me that we blew the flag in our most dominant H&A year. Brisbane were ripped off by the AFL in 04 by being made to play a home prelim at the MCG, Geelong kept kicking points to lose in 08.

I'd argue the Hawks are a small rung down from the other 3, none of their GF wins in their 3 peat were without question. Freo kept kicking points, and WC and Sydney choked or didn't show up. Hawks fans would say their Dynasty is franked by 08, I would if I was them, but I don't buy it.

For me, putting bias aside, at this stage, I can't split us, Bris and Geelong, and I'd have Hawthorn a shade behind.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We just need the fourth next year and that puts it beyond question

Reactions: 11 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Brisbane won all their Premierships interstate. Had to travel every second week.

I have them first, then us/Hawks, Geelong 4th

Reactions: 8 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Brisbane won all their Premierships interstate. Had to travel every second week.

I have them first, then us/Hawks, Geelong 4th
its a good point, but they also had cap assistance.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
We just need the fourth next year and that puts it beyond question
Yeah c'mon Tigers one more at home on the G in front of the Army ............delicious 4 outta 5.

They cant say anything then .............................but they will as they have this year.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Sure, but winning them all interstate and traveling every 2nd week is tough. For me at least, it's them still a nose in front.

Cats never won back to back. They are last.

Hawks have a 3peat so I might even put them a tad ahead of us.

We win a 3peat next year to make it 4 in 5 years and we jump to the top of the tree.

Reactions: 3 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Goes to show how hard they are to win when your most dominant HA amidst a dynasty couldn't bring it home. We also need to recognise the rule changes AFL house introduced to stifle us such as 6-6-6, shallower kick outs, ruck, and shorter quarters. I really thought we'd lost our advantage with the shorter game time. Dimma and his team managed to tweak another lever to keep us ahead. 2020 should be worth 2 premierships!

Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sure, but winning them all interstate and traveling every 2nd week is tough. For me at least, it's them still a nose in front.

We win a 3peat next year to make it 4 in 5 years and we jump to the top of the tree.

Yeah its tough alright and Brisbane were tough, but fact is their cap allowed them an extra star, think Acker or Black, does that compensate?

Can't argue with your point on the Hawks, a 3 peat is a 3 peat, they still have to do it and they did, but I just don't rate 2 of their wins, didn't at the time and still don't.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah its tough alright and Brisbane were tough, but fact is their cap allowed them an extra star, think Acker or Black, does that compensate?

Can't argue with your point on the Hawks, a 3 peat is a 3 peat, they still have to do it and they did, but I just don't rate 2 of their wins, didn't at the time and still don't.

Plenty don't rate our 2019 win.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
1. Brisbane (despite salary cap assistance and dubious injecting practices)
2. Richmond
3. Hawthorn (never beat a Victorian side on GF day)
4. Geelong (never went back to back and therefore are not a dynasty)

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Plenty don't rate our 2019 win.
I know they don't. But we know the first Q was red hot, then we broke them. WC didn't show up at all, Swans barely at all.

You've swayed me a bit on Geelong though, but still reckon Hawks got a dream 3 peat run.

I'll go

the mighty Tigers/ Brisbane

Geelong

Hawthorn

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The silence is deafening, the whole footy world can’t help but respect the mighty Tiges again .

Theres one key thing about this “club”not 22 you may beat us once but there is no way any of the other great sides would beat us twice in a row, like us these other teams have an incredible will to win, however bias or not I believe we have something very very special about the 22 that represent the club when it matters most . Geez our closest win in a GF was 31 points after we were 22 points down.

This is a mighty club .

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I know they don't. But we know the first Q was red hot, then we broke them.
Nah, it wasn't. We were idling, GWS were spinning their wheels in mud.

Compare the 1st Qs of 2017, 2019 and 2020 and you'll see the 2019 win was a walk over from the beginning. We broke Adelaide in the 2nd Q.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

yeah the three peats beat us right now. I agree Brisbane did it tough with travel - but a bit like us, they never finished top in their premiership years. The first one was a bit like us vs Adelaide, they were outsiders like us but many considered that a fluke. We proved them wrong on that. We also suffer from GWS putting up such a crap performance against us, you an only thrash what's put in front of you but it just wasn't even competitive from them. SAD

We need one more to put us over the top of Brisbane and Hawthorn. That Geelong side was great as well, but no threepeat.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
A lot of people downgrading Geelong for the lack of back to back.

I have them top for longevity. I feel like Geelong were the top side for 6 years. They were a footballing era in and of themselves.

Reactions: 6 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
As well as the assistance of a specially chartered plane that flew down at an unusually low altitude (I forget what the advantage was physically) but a huge number of vials of assorted drugs/painkillers/drips/hypoxicators and whatever.

No certainty that it was all legal at all for their last one I think.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
to me..on recent history..
1. Brisbane - Were a powerhouse - 3 peat. & R'up in GF on their 4th attempt
2. Haw - 3 Peat +1 - Bris to me put the fear into teams and traveled so much too compared to Haw. Lucky in '08
3. Rich - B2B + 1 ( if we get a 3 peat, imo we jump to 1st.) - very close 2nd but 1 GF win short to jump passed them
4 Geel - scattered 3 Prem. Unlucky in 2008 but lucky to beat the Saints in 2009 (pinched that one imo)

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
On gut feel I’d order them

Geelong
Brisbane
Hawthorn
us

Our effort to win three perhaps the greatest achievement as the least dominant of the four teams.

Not that it matters since “best dynasty” isn’t a thing. We’re the champs, again, and I’m content to enjoy that.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
A different perspective to this is that:

The cats were given a pretty decent leg up with their father sons picks from memory that they got for next to nothing (rules since changed)

The Hawks built their list through a coupe of good drafts - fair perhaps

The lions had salary cap advantages to build and keep their list (rules since changed)

The tigers built their list through the compromised drafts (admit some foundations put in lace prior) and had to stay on top during unprecedented changes to the rules which some suggest took away our strengths.

Right now it’s hard to split - purely of premierships you have to put the Lions and Hawks up there with the tigers third - cats fourth cause back to backs are dam hard to achieve.

What I do know is that the ladder of media ratings, the tigers and its premierships are continually downplayed and not celebrated like the others, our players are not treated like champions like other premiership players..... we are last on this ladder.

Reactions: 1 users