Hardwick, stoppage and flag 13 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick, stoppage and flag 13

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Hardwick looked super chuffed in the presser. I saw it, loved it, but it got me thinking. He was trying to contain something, and answered a question on tactics a little cryptically, and the cat was out of the bag.

Hardwick is a great coach. A master motivator and story-teller, a coach with the priceless gift of empathy and a history of staring down the scepter of failure. He has developed a system that finds genesis in the hot weeks of January, eons before the hustle and bustle of Round 1.

One thing that he, and the club by extension, is not known for is medium term tactical dexterity. That is, tactical flow from game to game. That appeared to change last night. On the back of the Brisbane loss, which must have been deeply disappointing to a proud group, we were forced to confront a destiny that went through St Kilda and then the snarling, strutting Port Adelaide on their own dung heap.

The Adelaide Oval. A long ground where territory can be intimidatingly owned by the home team. Where centre clearances are constantly churned over by the ultimate blue collar midfield unit.

What if, the coaches might've asked after last week's loss. What if we added a new path to goal, freshening our often spluttering and untidy offense and finally making good on the opportunity the 6-6-6 affords?

What if we cut our tackle-and-go turnover kingz some slack and rode on the back of our champion ball winners in Cotch, Dion and Dusty?

First use. What does it look like for us when the oppo are least expecting it, deep in a finals campaign?

The nature of last night's victory is deceptive in its venom. Now you have Ken Hinkley and his team second guessing. He can set up for a head to head midfield battle, but is that what he's going to get? Probably. Early doors.

But here's the thing. Pound for pound, magic for magic, we far exceed Port Adelaide when it comes to execution. Polish. Class. Creativity. If we can also bring the pressure we mustered in last night's Q4,, Port will cough it up. That's what they do when challenged front-on.

As Dimma himself said last night, we are a different team heading into Adelaide for a preliminary final. We got our pressure-easing "loss" out of the way last week and now face an opposition eminently beatable.

We are in a preliminary final. The sheer weight of this truth fueled Dimma's radiance last night. But the dark, sly seed of that smile, the bit he was trying to hide, was the fact that the most system-oriented of teams unveiled an ability to run new software on the doorstep of the most critical of games.

2020 might yet be as tactical for us as it is emotional for our competitors. I'm backing us in.

• Love
Reactions: 34 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Haha nicely written mate!

We beat or break even with port in the clearance and stoppage side of the game and it will be lights out for the power.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
The clearance dominance was a clear tactical adjustment, initiated by our centre bounce personnel selection.

But it was also facilitated by a weakened saints ruck division.

It's going to be hard to replicate against Port. But not impossible.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Good analysis. If we can continue to win the clearances next week it will go a long way to determine the result

Reactions: 1 user

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
Well said Carts. There was certainly a glint in Dimmas eye last night when asked about next weeks game and said “We really look forward to the challenge”.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
The best feature of last night's win was our centre clearances - no doubt. I've never understood why we hadn't previously tried to address this issue, especially given the 6-6-6 rule and the potency and mix of our forward line. There's no reason we can't be good at both clearance and turnover. Martin in particular was immense at the centre bounce contests last night.

The only disappointing thing was our lack of score from forward turnovers - thought the pressure was down from our small forwards in particular for most of the game. Ball rebounded far too easily. At the other end our transition out of defence looked messy at times and gave goals back the other way. Few things to fix before next week.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
But Dimma doesn’t have a plan B!

great post Carter and yes loved his presser last night.
I know you are posting in jest, but the idea that Hardwick doesnt make changes, or have a 'plan b' is a myth. a perfect example was the Lions final last year. Hodge was dominating early by reading our long forward handball. at 1/4 or 1/2 time we adjusted- stopped handballing into the space that Hodge was filling and we ran away with the game- that is just 1 small example.

I am happy to be corrected but i reckon in previous years our centre clearances havent been too bad- this year without Prestia and Edwards they have suffered. it is stoppage clearances we have poor numbers in recent years, in large part because we are happy to let the opposition out number us knowing we can win it back and use it better in space than we could in the congestion of a stoppage.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The clearance dominance was extraordinary.

it actually had me concerned.

I was sitting with a dual premiership, AA ruckman, and I said to him, only half in jest

'I'm worried, we lose when we win clearances'

he laughed, and proceeded to call the momentum shifts and outcomes impeccably.

Dont forget that Nank's form was crucial in the clearance numbers.

Yes, carts your on the money there was some tactical dexterity,

but Nanks game was extraordinary.

did anyone else notice the air he got at the centre ball up in the last?

It was unprecedented. It was like Emma Murray had convinced him he was Michael Jordan, and the Doc had massaged the soles of his feet at 3/4 time with a crystal meth poultice.

my mate gave Nank the 3 votes too

If nank can take that game to Adelaide, we win.

Reactions: 10 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Nailed it Carts.

Our dominance from stoppage last night was through the roof. We loaded on clearance kings last night - Martin, Edwards, Prestia, Cotchin. Expect us to go again next week.

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Hardwick looked super chuffed in the presser. I saw it, loved it, but it got me thinking. He was trying to contain something, and answered a question on tactics a little cryptically, and the cat was out of the bag.

Hardwick is a great coach. A master motivator and story-teller, a coach with the priceless gift of empathy and a history of staring down the scepter of failure. He has developed a system that finds genesis in the hot weeks of January, eons before the hustle and bustle of Round 1.

One thing that he, and the club by extension, is not known for is medium term tactical dexterity. That is, tactical flow from game to game. That appeared to change last night. On the back of the Brisbane loss, which must have been deeply disappointing to a proud group, we were forced to confront a destiny that went through St Kilda and then the snarling, strutting Port Adelaide on their own dung heap.

The Adelaide Oval. A long ground where territory can be intimidatingly owned by the home team. Where centre clearances are constantly churned over by the ultimate blue collar midfield unit.

What if, the coaches might've asked after last week's loss. What if we added a new path to goal, freshening our often spluttering and untidy offense and finally making good on the opportunity the 6-6-6 affords?

What if we cut our tackle-and-go turnover kingz some slack and rode on the back of our champion ball winners in Cotch, Dion and Dusty?

First use. What does it look like for us when the oppo are least expecting it, deep in a finals campaign?

The nature of last night's victory is deceptive in its venom. Now you have Ken Hinkley and his team second guessing. He can set up for a head to head midfield battle, but is that what he's going to get? Probably. Early doors.

But here's the thing. Pound for pound, magic for magic, we far exceed Port Adelaide when it comes to execution. Polish. Class. Creativity. If we can also bring the pressure we mustered in last night's Q4,, Port will cough it up. That's what they do when challenged front-on.

As Dimma himself said last night, we are a different team heading into Adelaide for a preliminary final. We got our pressure-easing "loss" out of the way last week and now face an opposition eminently beatable.

We are in a preliminary final. The sheer weight of this truth fueled Dimma's radiance last night. But the dark, sly seed of that smile, the bit he was trying to hide, was the fact that the most system-oriented of teams unveiled an ability to run new software on the doorstep of the most critical of games.

2020 might yet be as tactical for us as it is emotional for our competitors. I'm backing us in.
Great post & i share that view. i saw the stats post game & was shocked when they revealed it was us that score 52 pts from stoppage.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Things have shifted the past 2 weeks. We win the stats we don't usually win and lose the ones we do.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I was thinking along similar lines.

So, I went back and had a little look at clearances.

We won the clearances against StKilda.

We lost them against Adelaide in the last round, but not by much, and were comprehensively beaten in clearances against Geelong and Fremantle, but close to even against West Coast..

But in the QF we were almost even with Brisbane. I think this has been a little while in the brewing, who we are playing against could also be a factor.

Plus, as Jonesracing just pointed out, we scored a lot from stoppages, something I recall we also did in last year's Grand Final.

Interesting stuff, and I'm sure others have noticed too. Clearly getting smacked in the middle against Port earlier in the year has focused a few minds.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Yes 100 % . I think the Port game changed thinking knowing we could no longer rely on winning back possession.
The short games, 6 6 6 , smaller grounds in Qld and Ports strong midfield forced us to change.
It has been slow and clunky but much better against Saints ...who had a weaker ruck.
Next game will tell.