Head knocks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Head knocks

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Forget the source and rely on the developer (Stanford University).

Riddell have also developed helmets that have floating panels i.e. to reduce the trauma on the brain and also capture and measure the number and severity of hits to the head for what would be very handy medical evaluative purposes.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have mainly looked at helmets in relation to cycling and the introduction of mandatory helmet laws - basically there were 3 outcomes: helmet use rose dramatically, cycling dropped (has to some extent recovered but helmet laws did not help), and head injuries as a proportion of total injuries for cyclists did not move at all. So the public health outcome of the laws has been negative, reduction in active transport and no reduction in head injuries as a proportion of total injuries. Add to that the fact that the one thing which makes cycling safer is more bicycles on the roads, so the deterrent to cycling has made the roads more dangerous.

It is hard to get good data on helmets in football, especially Australian Football. But, although it is not conclusive, there are some decent articles on this. In a recent article in the journal Neurosurgery they concluded that modern football helmets (talking gridiron here) provide better outcomes (they were measuring the reduction in G-forces sustained by a manikin's head) than the old leather helmets but, a bit of a surprise, ice hockey helmets were marginally more effective (ice hockey helmets are generally rated lower in terms of protection).

But probably the most revealing statement is in the abstract:

Despite centuries of technological advancements to the football helmet, we have yet to create a concussion proof helmet.

The other issue, which can be seen in gridiron, is that protection in the form of a helmet can often lead to more reckless behaviour, ie: intentional helmet to helmet strikes, and this is very problematic.

Helmets for Australian Football have tended to be soft helmets, which would be appropriate for attempts to prevent concussion. They look to come with absorbent material to try to cushion the impact of a head knock. But, it remains the case that helmets are not the answer.

The answer, as we generally find in this sort of thing, is to prevent the incident which leads to concussion rather than trying to prevent concussion resulting from the incident. Here is where the AFL needs to be more strategic as the current approach smacks of being reactive and piece meal.

DS

PS: the article in question is in Neurosurgery Volume 92(6), June 2023 p1297 to 1302.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It sounds easy but would a parent sign a waiver in jnr footy knowing their child may suffer from potentially significant brain damage in later life?
The waiver basically admits you've got a reasonable chance of getting CTE from concussion & we won't cover you but here, sign away!
If waivers come in a lot of kids will be playing basketball methinks..
I know a lot of parents to good junior footballers and the answer to your first question is a resounding yes.

Reactions: 1 users