Heritage weekend guernsey? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Heritage weekend guernsey?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Given most of the clubs are wearing "traditional" jumpers this weekend, does anyone know if we are going to wear our former guernsey with the full sash and white numbers against the saints?

I was thinking what jumper we would be wearing myself MT.

Most clubs are wearing their very first guernsey. And I don't think our first VFL jumper had a sash. Stripes wasn't it?

There has been no news about this - which is surprising - a great merchandising opportunity I would have thought

Have almost fallen off my chair. Got a reply from the club within an hour.

Looks like it's considered top secret information by the AFL ::)

----------------------

Hi MT,

Thanks for your email.

The AFL will be releasing the designs for the jumpers at a press conference tomorrow, so I am sure they will be featured on the news and in Wednesday's papers.

Regards
Glynis Smalley
Communications Dept
Richmond Football Club

Heritage Guernsey

http://afl.com.au/cp2/c2/webi/graphic/291672ay.jpg

Richmond

Richmond will wear its original VFL strip in the match against St Kilda, as part of the Heritage Round. The yellow and black vertical stripes with black socks were what the Tigers wore when they entered the VFL in 1908. They had previously worn that uniform in the VFA. In 1910 Richmond changed to a black guernsey with a yellow horizontal band, which subsequently transformed into the famous sash.

and especially for rosy ;D

http://afl.com.au/objects/includes/..%5C..%5Ccp2/c2/webi/image/008119au.jpg

mightytiges said:
and especially for rosy ;D

Thanks mt........what a way to start the day.
love.gif

Reminds me alot of the hawks, cant say i love but i dont hate it either, just greatful they dont have to play every week.

Dont know what will be like on Saturday night though with jumper confusion and things like that seeing that the saints is pretty much the same style except for colour but maybe it will be ok i dont really know.

It'll be good to see the old Fitzroy jumper out there again

DragicevicFan said:
What do people think about the guernsey?

Like it? Love it? Hate it?

Would have preferred for the stripes to be at least symmetrical dare I say like the current collingwood jumper but in Y&B. Looks like a Hawthorn jumper although it was around long before Hawthorn's current guernsey.

Still wondering if the AFL is trying this to persuade the clubs to introduce alternative strips.

All I can say is - thank goodness we changed over time to what we have now. ;) If that was the jumper in 1972 - I'd probably be following someone else now and that scares me.

Memo to the Hawks: make that heritage guernsey your permanent one - it isn't too bad but then again compared to the current one that's not too hard

I feel an Ebay auction coming on. ;D

Also, MT:
Yep the AFL is still "asking" Clubs to consider alternative strips. Wont enforce it yet - but in time I think they will

Chelle said:
Dont know what will be like on Saturday night though with jumper confusion and things like that seeing that the saints is pretty much the same style except for colour but maybe it will be ok i dont really know.

Chelle as a recent convert from the Saints to the Tigers how does it feel to have Burkey playing his retirement game against us? I'd imagine there would be pretty mixed emotions but then again maybe not cos I couldn't even imagine being able to change to another team. Do the Saints still hold a soft spot for you or are they past history?

Don't like it......we look too much like the Hawks!

But, Duncan did look mighty fine the other day modelling it!

not feeling much Rosy, i was bought up in a saints household so thats why i was there as a kid. i guess you could say i didn't know any better.
But thanks to one person in particular who showed me the light im glad to say im now a tiger. ;D

As for feelings for Burkey i cant say im sad but you never like to see someone you've grown up watching leave the game.

Chelle said:
But thanks to one person in particular who showed me the light im glad to say im now a tiger. ;D

Geez don't let that one person in particular lead you too far astray, especially since he's a Dunc basher. You can't trust them too far you know. :rollin

DragicevicFan said:
What do people think about the guernsey?

Like it? Love it? Hate it?

Can't say I like it. Definitely don't love it. Don't really hate it either. I'd say I'm indifferent towards it.

You love or hate what you know, I suppose. Obviously, it's not going to mean anything to any of us, because all we've ever known is the sashed jumper.

For sentimental reasons, nothing will ever replace the one we've won 10 Premierships in.

I'm going t oAAMI stadium tomorrow t osee those Port scumbags wear the black an white. Is a disgrace, will ahet them even more. Good ot see the backlash over here by people who support Power but hate the Magpies and how they are reacting to it. Not happy at all.

I sat in level 3 tonight. And i found it very hard to pick individual players out. With the white number back it made it worse. But if the back was black & number yellow.I would have to say it would make a great alternate strip against a side like essendon for example. ;)