Hot weather | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hot weather

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
tigerdave said:
How's everyone coping with the heat?

We've had a week of 38- 45 so far here in Broken Hill and there's no relief coming in the next few day's. :fire :fire

I hate it. Very angry with the people who stuffed up the refurbishment of our pool resulting in it being demolished late last year. :mad:

Sounds like similar weather to us. Not overly humid thankfully. Wonderful from my personal point of view but disastrous conditions in regard to fires.

It's also dry as here. We normally don't feed stock until at least May, and some years don't even need to supplementary feed at all, but we're feeding out already this year. Earliest ever.

Awful situation in Tasmania. My heart goes out to them. Wouldn't take much for a similar situation here. Scary.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Another 3 day's in the 40's and then a cool change of 38 on thursday!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
I'd rather be watching Kansas City Chiefs live at their stadium in -2 deg than sit here typing during 40 deg heat. ;D

Now thats a desperate call TF

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
It's been very mild here for the last two weeks - averaging about 7 degrees ... plus. We're at that time of year where if someone happens to say "it's about 5 degrees" without qualifying it, the assumption would be that it's minus.

Even at nights here it has been about 5 or 6 above. I can't remember the last NYE here where we couldn't save space in the fridge by just putting the drinks outside, possibly in the snow :). Needed the fridge this year. Actually some other years we've needed the fridge because to put the drinks outside would freeze them.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
TigerForce said:
I read that but what's an 'anti-cyclone'?
Anti-cyclone: centre of high pressure with winds blowing around it in a circular motion -- in the southern hemisphere in an anti-clockwise direction. Contrast to a cyclone which is a low pressure system with wind blowing clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

In the northern hemisphere they have anti-cyclones too: but the winds flow clockwise. The low pressure systems are typhoons or hurricanes (anti-clockwise).

Irrespective of hemisphere, summer anti-cyclones bring hot temperatures and very little cloud. The earth and atmosphere heat up so much that it is hard for the heat to dissipate. Common result: heatwave.

In the winter, however, you still get the absence of cloud cover and thus that weak winter sunshine. What you also get is any warmth disappearing very quickly at dusk, and very low overnight temperatures. Fog is likely in low-lying areas, and also widespread frost (dependent of course on latitude).

All this they taught us at school (in the northern hemisphere). Hope it helps :wavey

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
With the current heatwave and a lot of the country tinder dry, many people are facing some dangerous times with fires threatening families and homes.
I hope they can get through it safely.
No doubt the firefighters will once agin be called on to risk all. To all the the full-time and volunteer firefighters, good luck and come home safe to your families. A bunch of brave and dedicated people.

Tommo37

Tiger Superstar
Aug 16, 2011
What really gets my goat is the Australia wide heatwave is only now an issue now that Sydney are about to have a scorcher of 43C, the headline on the weather channel on foxtel is "Heatwave Crises" which which reverts back to normal headlines after today, watch any weather report on Sydney based programs and they talk about scorchers in other states like it doesn't matter and then carry on when they have a 28C day like it's the hottest day ever.

Total days of 30C+ in summer so far for the capital cities (darwin excluded because their 30+ everyday) up until Jan 7

Brisbane---20
Perth------19
Adelaide---18
Melbourne-10
Sydney-----5
Hobart------3

So really Sydney have nothing to whinge about when it comes to hot weather.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Tommo37 said:
What really gets my goat is the Australia wide heatwave is only now an issue now that Sydney are about to have a scorcher of 43C, the headline on the weather channel on foxtel is "Heatwave Crises" which which reverts back to normal headlines after today, watch any weather report on Sydney based programs and they talk about scorchers in other states like it doesn't matter and then carry on when they have a 28C day like it's the hottest day ever.

Total days of 30C+ in summer so far for the capital cities (darwin excluded because their 30+ everyday) up until Jan 7

Brisbane---20
Perth------19
Adelaide---18
Melbourne-10
Sydney-----5
Hobart------3

Sydney are soft and un-Australian.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
They're calling it a heatwave because the monsoon cloud hasn't drifted south as usual, creating 11 days of 40 plus in central Australia. That's created today which is a huge bushfire risk accross most of NSW because of the strong NW winds and fires already burning from lightning strikes a couple of days ago. Seems fair enough and not really worth bitching about to me.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tommo37 said:

Brisbane---20
Perth------19
Adelaide---18
Melbourne-10
Sydney-----5
Hobart------3

I'll have to say that I've constantly noticed The Weather Channel on Foxtel spending more time and giving more detail about QLD and NSW weather than any other state. SA, Vic and Tas are done in one breath, and then WA and NT in a wink. They talked more about what wasn't happening in QLD than about the heatwave WA copped during Christmas/New Year week.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
RfC77 said:
As i'm down at the creek fishing every few days I note the changes which have occurred both in the past and the present (ie flora & fauna) and by the looks of things we're headed into drought.

What signs do you see RFC77?

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
TigerForce said:
I'll have to say that I've constantly noticed The Weather Channel on Foxtel spending more time and giving more detail about QLD and NSW weather than any other state. SA, Vic and Tas are done in one breath, and then WA and NT in a wink. They talked more about what wasn't happening in QLD than about the heatwave WA copped during Christmas/New Year week.

Spot on, it was as if WA was having a barbeque and nobody could be bothered reporting it. Now that Sydney gets a day or two of heat, suddenly the world is ending.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The papers keep citing 50.7 degrees at Oodnadatta as the national record, but I always thought the record was held by Cloncurry (Qld).

showImage.aspx

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
little brisk today. i'm about to do my 5km walk home from work. fun fun fun.

Tommo37 said:

lets not forget that they get something like 40% more rainfall, but always ridicule our weather? ???

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
To combat the heat get yourselves a can of Thai ‘prickly heat powder – snake brand’. Import it if you have to. After a cool shower powder up turn on the fan and luxuriate in the mentholated refrigerated illusion it brings. It's fantastic stuff. Way cheaper than air con.

Warning: Keep it off your nuts & bolts though. Seriously.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
glantone said:
To combat the heat get yourselves a can of Thai ‘prickly heat powder – snake brand’. Import it if you have to. After a cool shower powder up turn on the fan and luxuriate in the mentholated refrigerated illusion it brings. It's fantastic stuff. Way cheaper than air con.

Warning: Keep it off your nuts & bolts though. Seriously.

Does it cause rust? ;D