Hot weather | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hot weather

Tigers of Old said:
Heatwaves? Are you kidding me? A couple of hot nights = heatwave?

Not a couple Oldie. It's being 6 maybe 7 days in a row of 30+ temperature with warm nights = Heatwave. Not as severe as what regional areas cop but according to Melbourne's averages it is. Humidity played a part too.

I'll assume you live in a bayside suburb which has seabreezes whereas outer northern (me) doesn't.

I don't mind the heat but it would be nice if it rained every now and then. Looking after my parents garden as well as a couple of my own. Watering has become almost a full time job.

When was the last time we had a decent rain? Seems like months ago.

TigerForce said:
Same here Tommo. I can't stand heatwaves...especially the ones with hot nights.

I was meaning to ask Streaker how he handles that WA heat especially in this summer.

As for that Sky Channel (nee Weather Channel).....yeah keep talking Qld and NSW.....forget the rest of us.

Yep, the hot nights are killers.

Could never live in WA just for that reason alone nor SA. I think we have it bad, but it's nothing compared to what those two states cop.

I like checking out the weather channel, oh i mean the forecast. :whistle

evo said:
I don't mind the heat but it would be nice if it rained every now and then. Looking after my parents garden as well as a couple of my own. Watering has become almost a full time job.

When was the last time we had a decent rain? Seems like months ago.

Must have been on that big win in late May against the Hawks. I can't remember any decent rain since late May onwards.

TigerForce said:
Not a couple Oldie. It's being 6 maybe 7 days in a row of 30+ temperature with warm nights = Heatwave. Not as severe as what regional areas cop but according to Melbourne's averages it is. Humidity played a part too.

I'll assume you live in a bayside suburb which has seabreezes whereas outer northern (me) doesn't.

Yeah perhaps but I honestly don't think it's been that hot besides. The lack of rain is a bit of a worry though no doubt.

Tigers of Old said:
Yeah perhaps but I honestly don't think it's been that hot besides. The lack of rain is a bit of a worry though no doubt.

Maybe thats it, everything is just dry and dead and it looks hot, my backyard is a dustbowl with a sprinkling of dead grass on it, my kids have one of those totum tennis poles and i can't get it into the ground because it is as hard as concrete, need some rain to soften it up and get some life back into it.

One things for sure, if we do get decent rain there will be floods everywhere because the ground won't be able to absorb it

Tigers of Old said:

I don't mind hot days throughout the whole 3 months of a summer, but it's hard to cope when you get 4 or more continuous days of hot and dry weather, and especially warm nights with no breeze.

You're just enjoying this dry air compared to those extremely humid nights you always copped in Sydney and Asia aren't you? ;D

Tommo37 said:
Maybe thats it, everything is just dry and dead and it looks hot, my backyard is a dustbowl with a sprinkling of dead grass on it, my kids have one of those totum tennis poles and i can't get it into the ground because it is as hard as concrete, need some rain to soften it up and get some life back into it.

One things for sure, if we do get decent rain there will be floods everywhere because the ground won't be able to absorb it

The ants have left the underground......so many around here.

Just finished over a week in Singapore and they had more rain there in that week then Melbourne had all of last year I reckon. Currently in lovely sunny Vietnam enjoying temps in the high 20's :D

It has easily been the hottest summer since the summer of black Saturday. I don't mind the heat for a couple of days in a row, but as someone who doesn't have a/c, it turns into a struggle if we get a week if 30+ temperatures... as my apartment block heats up to a furness

Ian4 said:
It has easily been the hottest summer since the summer of black Saturday. I don't mind the heat for a couple of days in a row, but as someone who doesn't have a/c, it turns into a struggle if we get a week if 30+ temperatures... as my apartment block heats up to a furness

No a/c in this day and age.C'mon Ian,get with the times man! ;D

tigerdave said:
No a/c in this day and age.C'mon Ian,get with the times man! ;D

my place is naturally cool, with heaps of shade, etc. before every summer i keep saying i'll buy a portable air conditioner, but i cant justify it.

Ian4 said:
my place is naturally cool, with heaps of shade, etc. before every summer i keep saying i'll buy a portable air conditioner, but i cant justify it.

Fair enough mate.Like you say,you only feel it when you have a sustained run of hot weather.

Been around the mid 30's here for a week or so again.

It's been a decent summer here in Tas. Dit hit 40+ one day though and I nearly melted. A year or two back I reckon we barely had 5 days reach 30 for the entire summer. Personally that is very close to my favourite summer of all time. I'm not a big fan of days reaching 30+.

Too many 35 degree days in succession here. Oh for a mid 20s change. Bring on winter.

Freezer said:
I wonder if it would be possible to merge Melbourne and London?

i would love it. if i ever leave australia post i will be on the first plane to london (and may never come back), so merging Melbourne and London works pefectly for me.