How many minor premierships have the tigers won ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How many minor premierships have the tigers won ?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Does anyone know how many times the tigers have finished on top at the end of the home and away season ?

Also how many times have we won the flag after finishing on top.

Maybe the stat kings out there can answer this.

Harry,

I'll be your stats man on this one.

We finished top on 8 occasions;
1920, 33, 34, 43, 44, 67, 74, 82

Won the flag 4 of those years;
1920, 34, 67, 74

Can't believe we didn't win the flag in 82.
In 80 we finished 3rd after getting belted by Swans at lakeside oval. I remember going home in tears thinking we wouldn't win the flag!!

Gee, we were a bit stiff in 43 and 44.

What happen in those years that we didn't win a flag after finishing on top for 2 years running.

We probably did a Port Power and choked.

Maybe Roar and Graystar can explain what happened.

We won it 34 amid a scandal of South Melbourne players alledgedly 'throwing' the game too.
Bob Pratt was offered more than a years salary (during the depression too mind you) to 'lay down' for the game.
He refused the money,but swears his teamates played like they were 'got at' and the red hot favorites South were beaten,and their famed foreign legion effectively disbanded after the scandal was exposed.

struggletown3121 said:
We won it 34 amid a scandal of South Melbourne players alledgedly 'throwing' the game too.
Bob Pratt was offered more than a years salary (during the depression too mind you) to 'lay down' for the game.
He refused the money,but swears his teamates played like they were 'got at' and the red hot favorites South were beaten,and their famed foreign legion effectively disbanded after the scandal was exposed.

That explains how Collingwood won 4 in a row a few years earlier!

We can one more step and list the VFA years thereby encompassing the entire 1885-Present years

We finish on top in 1902, 1903 , 1904
And we won the Premiership in each of those years apart from 1904 where we forfeited the flag.

We also came second on the ladder in 1907, 1906, 1905, 1901

Cheers
Rhett Bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

I remember going to the Lakeside Oval too in 1980. The next week we were at Waverley and were lucky to see KB kick 6 against the Blues. He kicked 8 the next week against the Cats and then 7 in the Granny.... Probably the best Finals series by a small forward EVER....