Polly and the '67 Premiership | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Polly and the '67 Premiership

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
The Truth and Nothing but the Truth about the 1967 GF

Having partaken in a thread on PRE about Polly Farmer and THAT grand final, I thought a closer look at the game in question was called for. With the passing of time, some things become magnified – good and bad – while other incidents recede until just a dim memory. Did that really happen? Did So-and-So actually say that?

Following that memorable premiership, I was so fired up with Richmond’s success after a terrible 24 years [who said history keeps repeating itself?] that I decided to buy the biggest scrap book available and set about collecting every mention of the Richmond Football Club for that year. At the time I had a VW microbus for all the best reasons – transport our tribe of four children around and tour the countryside.

I began a campaign to collect the newspapers of 1967 and, well into 1968, I had begged, borrowed and – in some cases – stolen Suns, Heralds [yes, in those days they were separate publications], Sporting Globes and The Age from all over Melbourne. Our living quarters were somewhat cramped with four energetic children so it made sense to store the collected newspapers in the only other space available, the floor and rear seats of the Microbus. The children quickly became used to travelling around sitting on piles of newspapers, the baby’s bassinet – well, the wicker basket part of it – securely wedged between stacks of yesterday’s news. No capsules in those days!

I understand it was common in those days that when my wife wanted me to perform some little duty about the house, the kids would say, “dad’s in the newsagents!” and one of the kinder would be sent out to the carport to disturb me in the back of the van. That was my office, my “den”, and – almost on several occasions when it was considered I had overstepped the mark in matters marital versus football – my bedroom.

That was all so long ago but I thought it worth my while to set the record straight about some of the myths and legends that have grown out of that grand final. Firstly, an unbiased account of the finals series as it affected both teams. The following is “borrowed” directly from the official AFL website:

1967 Finals Series [by] Graeme Atkinson

All four 1967 finalists occupied their places in the Four by the end of the fifth round of home and away games, three holding them until the end. . . Richmond (fifteen wins, three losses), Carlton (fourteen wins, three losses and a tie), Geelong (thirteen wins, five losses) and Collingwood (twelve wins, six losses) made up the final four, with the brilliant but unpredictable Cats eliminating the Magpies from the premiership race in an excellent first semi-final. Geelong, leading by a point after a keenly fought first three quarters, won the game in the opening minutes of the last term with goals from Wade (three), Goggin and Sharrock. The brilliant Wade was the difference between the two sides, kicking eight goals one from ten shots, but Geelong's all-round skill and speed eventually beat Collingwood.

Richmond had a good win over Carlton in the second semi-final, but lost star ruckman Neville Crowe for the grand final. Crowe was suspended after an incident in the third quarter of the match, his first suspension in a ten-year VFL career. Richmond had two goals and Carlton one within three minutes of the start of play, but Richmond, with Hart (full-forward) outplaying an obviously unfit Wes Lofts, had a good lead by half-time and held this advantage at the last change. Then, in the last term, the Tigers unleashed a brilliant burst of six goals five, sweeping the Carlton defenders aside and going on to a forty-point win, a win which considerably reduced their odds for the premiership. Critics pointed out, too, that the Tigers did not have a single player in their line-up who had previously played in a finals match, making their win even more meritorious! Geelong, twenty-seven points in arrears at half-time, staged a remarkable recovery in the second half of the preliminary final. Earlier, Carlton had made eight positional changes to their selected side, and 'jumped' Geelong in the first quarter by kicking four goals in eight minutes before the Cats had scored. The third term was Geelong's best. Holding the Blues to one goal two with the breeze, the Cats, with Wade and Sharrock in everything up forward, booted a match-winning eight goals one for the term and held a handy fourteen-point lead at the last change. Sharrock kicked three goals in the Cats' big scoring third term, and Wade, two. Carlton still had a chance in the last, but were off target, and the accurate Cats were untroubled to hold their lead and advance to the grand final.

In the best grand final for years, Richmond won their first flag since 1943 after a fantastic last quarter during which the scores were level four times.

Conditions were ideal as the Tigers, kicking with the aid of a slight breeze, fought their way to a six-point lead at the first change. Richmond, hottest favourites since Melbourne in 1958, were struggling a little, the Cats' defence being well on top. Barrot, becoming a danger man in the centre for Richmond, was in the van in the second term, and he continually drove the Tigers forward where, despite inaccuracy, they booted five goals to the Cats' four and were sixteen points in front at half-time. The third term began sensationally – within a minute, Goggin burst out of the pack and goaled for the Cats. Further goals to Andrews and Wade gave the Cats an eight-point lead after seven minutes of the term. After the initial breakthrough, the Richmond defence steadied, and scoring for the rest of the term was almost even, the Tigers having seven more scoring shots than their opponents and leading by two points at the last change.

Now came a grand last quarter. Soon after it began, Bartlett goaled for the Tigers, but Ryan, with a long punt from centre half-forward, replied for Geelong, and three successive behinds put the Cats a point ahead. The scores were levelled for the second time within minutes before Sharrock goaled for Geelong, but Ronaldson, after a mark in the forward pocket, levelled again with a beautiful drop-kick goal for Richmond. Wade (Geelong) booted a behind and Guinane (Richmond) did likewise - and for the fourth time in twenty-three minutes the scores were equal.

With time-on starting, big Tiger ruckman, Ronaldson, marked on the half-forward flank and drove through a magnificent long distance drop-kick goal which gave the Tigers a six-point lead. Graham (Geelong) scored a behind, but Bartlett made no mistake for the Tigers as he grabbed the ball from a throw-in and kicked their sixteenth goal. Geelong, not giving in, came forward again. Ryan snapped a behind, and a shot by Goggin was marked almost on the line by Swift, the Richmond fullback and captain. Almost on the siren, Polinelli's long shot scored a behind for the Cats, but the premiership belonged to Rich- mond, their first premiership since 1943 and sixth since joining the VFL in 1908. Geelong's Doug Wade, with four goals, took his season's tally to ninety-six, the highest total since John Coleman's ninety-seven for Essendon in 1953. It looked as if the magical l00 goals barrier would soon be broken after a lapse of many years.

SEPTEMBER 23 - GRAND FINAL

Richmond 4.3 9.10 12.15 16.18(114) Geelong 3 .3 7.6 13 .7 15 .15 (105)

MCG Umpire Sheales Attendance 109,396 Gate $88,256

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=finalshistory&spg=finalseries&articleid=47620

Well, the above account of the ’67 GF was written years later by Graeme Atkinson but it seems accurate enough, albeit condensed, when reading match descriptions from such doyens of football scribes as Alf Brown of the Herald. I never thought Brown to be a great lover of striped felines but, to my surprise, I could not uncover a single criticism or otherwise from his pen.

Oh, phrases such as “the two fastest and most brilliant teams in the League” leap off the printed page [love those words!]. “Bartlett embraced” – what’s this?
“Northey, hotly pressed, raced to an open goal but was pulled just as he kicked, and the shot went out. However, from the throw-in, Bartlett grabbed the ball and goaled.
Richmond players embraced and kissed him. It was more like a scene from a soccer cup final.”

The two-page story from Brown ended somewhat limply: “Goggin [Geelong] had a shot but it was marked on the goal line by Swift. Seconds later the siren went, and Richmond were premiers.”

The stats for that game vary. The Herald attributed 207 kicks and 55 marks to Richmond, and 223 kicks and 74 marks to Geelong. Frees to Richmond 42, Geelong 29.

The Football Life saw it as 214 kicks 60 marks 39 hit-outs 44 handballs and 7 misses [an interesting stat] to Richmond;
and 240 kicks 81 marks 39 hit-outs 51 handballs and 5 misses [that stat again!] to Geelong.
Frees: 40 to Richmond, 32 Geelong.

The Sporting Globe: 207 kicks 58 marks 50 hand passes and 23 hit-outs from “Bounces”/21 from “Throw-ins” to Richmond;
223 kicks 79 marks 55 hand-passes and 20 hit-outs plus 18.
Frees: 38 to Richmond, 31 to Geelong.

And the man himself, Graham [Polly] Farmer? Again the stats vary but an average figure sees:

Farmer: 11 kicks 14 hit-outs 18 handballs 7 marks compared to his Richmond counterpart, Mike Patterson, with 12 kicks 28 hit-outs 3 handballs 4 marks. Patterson was not Richmond’s first choice of ruckman but with Crowe out, Patto did “well against Geelong’s galaxy of skilled ruckmen”, according to Alf Brown.

Other experts had this to say on the result and the two teams:

Kevin Hogan: “The teams were so evenly matched, and both sides played with such emphasis on creative movement rather than frustration, that it was inevitable that luck should play a part in the result.
But luck is just as much a part of football as it is of any sport worth playing.
The Tigers won on Saturday because they created their own luck, and took full advantage of the breaks that came their way.
. . . . The real difference in the climax of a great game was that the Richmond men got four of six shots home.” [Richmond scored 4 goals 3 behinds in the last quarter – one of the behinds being rushed through]

John Nicholls [yes, “Big Nick” of Carlton] wrote: “CONGRATULATIONS Tigers! Those 24 years in the football wilderness must seem worthwhile as once again you’re top dogs in the VFL.
Four years of ruthless planning with one aim in mind – to build a premiership side – has at last paid off.
. . . . What an exhibition of the Australian game. It was the best final round match I’ve seen.
And it was very capably umpired by Peter Sheales.
Don’t let’s forget the losers. They were valiant in defeat and, at times, had big chances to pull off the flag.
Their short game paid dividends at times but, in the end, the Tigers long-kicking play paid off. . . .”

In Football by Ian Stewart: “Congratulations to Richmond and Geelong on a superb game of football.
. . . And well done, Tigers. It was a magnificent climax to the team’s great season. You were the best side in the competition, by a good margin, and thoroughly deserved the premiership flag.
But you were not the better team on the MCG on Saturday. In my opinion, Geelong played superior football, and needed only a couple of breaks to have won.
This would have been most unfortunate and perhaps unjust, because I believe that if Richmond and Geelong were to play seven times, Richmond would win five of them.
. . . . Having seen the Geelong blitz destroy both Collingwood and Carlton, it took a lot of Richmond faith to say it would not be destroyed.
But all the faith in the world would not have been enough if it had not been for the team’s amazing stamina.
I thought Geelong would be the team to kick on, because its precise use of the ball was less taxing on energy.
Richmond’s blaze-away percentage football can be quite exhausting, and on Saturday, its score was not equal to the effort expended.
But, in the end, although the Tigers were just plodding, they were plodding somewhat faster than the Cats. . .”

John Goold, Carlton footballer: “Take a bow, Richmond. You’re the undisputed football champions for 1967.
You proved your greatness by fighting back from the brink of defeat to win the most brilliant Grand Final I have seen.
But unfortunately, Richmond, in football skill, brilliance, pace and disposal, Geelong took the honors. . . .
But Richmond, which had only two great players – Bill Barrot and Royce Hart – had the team spirit, courage, evenness and strict team discipline which wins premierships.
To this, Geelong had no counter.”

Cannon [I have forgotten his given name] wrote in his column, Cannon Shots, “The League season came to such a sensational climax on the sunlit MCG that the scruffiness of so many home-and-away matches has been forgotten.
To me, the football magic-makers of 1967 were: RICHMOND and GEELONG for breaking through the scrag-and-bash barrier to establish a new pattern of play in which speed generates kicking and marking skill. . .”

Harry Beitzel wrote: “Richmond won their first peace-time premiership since 1934 when they defeated Geelong before a crowd of 109,396 on the MCG. . .
Already the match has been acclaimed one of the greatest exhibitions of football ever played.
Richmond were unforgettable in winning; Geelong were magnificent in defeat.”

Farmer stood on the dais during the cup presentation, head bowed, hands on hips. His body language spoke volumes for the disappointment he felt in defeat. There were murmurs for a week or so afterwards that his attitude was “unfootball-like”, but what did he actually say? Well, he was reported as saying, “Richmond’s win was good for football. Premierships are made to go around.” That doesn’t sound so bad, does it? “We had plenty of opportunities to win, but wasted them on careless kicking.” O.K. bad kicking, bad football.

On the other hand, it was Geelong coach, Peter Pianto, who first said the better team lost. “Both teams were even on the day. In fact, I think the better team lost. The scores were no indication that Richmond was the superior side. Richmond got the breaks when needed in the last quarter, especially in the last vital five minutes. Congratulations to Richmond – it worked hard for the premiership. . . .”

Wherever this bitterness of Farmer’s has come from, it has developed over the years. It’s a shame that such a champion player should finish up with such a negative attitude to a game that was played 37 years ago.

Perhaps the final words should go to a Richmond legend. When asked how he felt about the victory, Tommy Hafey resplendent in a suit and tie, said, “When the siren sounded I was close to tears. A premiership with Richmond — you just don’t know how it feels.”

Just thought this little gem might round out the above article. Date not available but it was soon after that great win.

Under the heading, “Tiger Rag goes to press”, it was reported from Wonthaggi that:

“Mirboo North’s weekly paper was printed on yellow newsprint yesterday.
Proprietor, Norm Martyn, 45, is a rabid Richmond fan.
Mirboo North is also Richmond ruckman, Mike Patterson’s, home town.
The $17 extra to produce the eight-page tabloid (1050 copies did not worry Norm).
He laughed: “I won it in bets from Geelong supporters.”
Postmaster, Brian Waugh – another Tiger fan – declared: “magnificent”.
Waugh, Mirboo North football club secretary, has invited Patterson to come home – and bring team-mate Paddy Guinane – to present Mirboo North football club trophies.

Roar34 said:
Well, the above account of the ’67 GF was written years later by Graeme Atkinson but it seems accurate enough, albeit condensed, when reading match descriptions from such doyens of football scribes as Alf Brown of the Herald.   I never thought Brown to be a great lover of striped felines but, to my surprise, I could not uncover a single criticism or otherwise from his pen.

Oh, phrases such as “the two fastest and most brilliant teams in the League” leap off the printed page [love those words!].  “Bartlett embraced” – what’s this? 
“Northey, hotly pressed, raced to an open goal but was pulled just as he kicked, and the shot went out.  However, from the throw-in, Bartlett grabbed the ball and goaled.
Richmond players embraced and kissed him.  It was more like a scene from a soccer cup final.”

The two-page story from Brown ended somewhat limply:  “Goggin [Geelong] had a shot but it was marked on the goal line by Swift.  Seconds later the siren went, and Richmond were premiers.”

The stats for that game vary.  The Herald attributed 207 kicks and 55 marks to Richmond, and 223 kicks and 74 marks to Geelong.  Frees to Richmond 42, Geelong 29.

The Football Life saw it as 214 kicks 60 marks 39 hit-outs 44 handballs and 7 misses [an interesting stat] to Richmond; and 240 kicks 81 marks 39 hit-outs 51 handballs and 5 misses [that stat again!] to Geelong.
Frees: 40 to Richmond, 32 Geelong.

The Sporting Globe: 207 kicks 58 marks 50 hand passes and 23 hit-outs from “Bounces”/21 from “Throw-ins” to Richmond;
for Geelong 223 kicks 79 marks 55 hand-passes and 20 hit-outs plus 18.
Frees:  38 to Richmond, 31 to Geelong.

And the man himself, Graham [Polly] Farmer?  Again the stats vary but an average figure sees:

Farmer:  11 kicks 14 hit-outs 18 handballs 7 marks  compared to his Richmond counterpart, Mike Patterson, with 12 kicks 28 hit-outs  3 handballs 4 marks.  Patterson was not Richmond’s first choice of ruckman but with Crowe out, Patto did “well against Geelong’s galaxy of skilled ruckmen”,  according to Alf Brown.

Other experts had this to say on the result and the two teams:     

Kevin Hogan:  “The teams were so evenly matched, and both sides played with such emphasis on creative movement rather than frustration, that it was inevitable that luck should play a part in the result. 
But luck is just as much a part of football as it is of any sport worth playing.
The Tigers won on Saturday because they created their own luck, and took full advantage of the breaks that came their way.
. . . . The real difference in the climax of a great game was that the Richmond men got four of six shots home.” [Richmond scored 4 goals 3 behinds in the last quarter – one of the behinds being rushed through]

John Nicholls [yes, “Big Nick” of Carlton] wrote:  “CONGRATULATIONS Tigers!  Those 24 years in the football wilderness must seem worthwhile as once again you’re top dogs in the VFL.
Four years of ruthless planning with one aim in mind – to build a premiership side – has at last paid off.
. . . . What an exhibition of the Australian game.  It was the best final round match I’ve seen.
And it was very capably umpired by Peter Sheales.
Don’t let’s forget the losers.  They were valiant in defeat and, at times, had big chances to pull off the flag.
Their short game paid dividends at times but, in the end, the Tigers long-kicking play paid off. . . .”

In Football by Ian Stewart:  “Congratulations to Richmond and Geelong on a superb game of football.
. . . And well done, Tigers.  It was a magnificent climax to the team’s great season.  You were the best side in the competition, by a good margin, and thoroughly deserved the premiership flag.
But you were not the better team on the MCG on Saturday.  In my opinion, Geelong played superior football, and needed only a couple of breaks to have won.
This would have been most unfortunate and perhaps unjust, because I believe that if Richmond and Geelong were to play seven times, Richmond would win five of them.
. . . . Having seen the Geelong blitz destroy both Collingwood and Carlton, it took a lot of Richmond faith to say it would not be destroyed.
But all the faith in the world would not have been enough if it had not been for the team’s amazing stamina.
I thought Geelong would be the team to kick on, because its precise use of the ball was less taxing on energy.
Richmond’s blaze-away percentage football can be quite exhausting, and on Saturday, its score was not equal to the effort expended.
But, in the end, although the Tigers were just plodding, they were plodding somewhat faster than the Cats. . .”

John Goold, Carlton footballer:  “Take a bow, Richmond.  You’re the undisputed football champions for 1967.
You proved your greatness by fighting back from the brink of defeat to win the most brilliant Grand Final I have seen.
But unfortunately, Richmond, in football skill, brilliance, pace and disposal, Geelong took the honors. . . .
But Richmond, which had only two great players – Bill Barrot and Royce Hart – had the team spirit, courage, evenness and strict team discipline which wins premierships.
To this, Geelong had no counter.”

Cannon [I have forgotten his given name] wrote in his column, Cannon Shots, “The League season came to such a sensational climax on the sunlit MCG that the scruffiness of so many home-and-away matches has been forgotten.
To me, the football magic-makers of 1967 were:  RICHMOND and GEELONG for breaking through the scrag-and-bash barrier to establish a new pattern of play in which speed generates kicking and marking skill. . .”

Harry Beitzel wrote:  “Richmond won their first peace-time premiership since 1934 when they defeated Geelong before a crowd of 109,396 on the MCG. . .
Already the match has been acclaimed one of the greatest exhibitions of football ever played. 
Richmond were unforgettable in winning; Geelong were magnificent in defeat.”

Farmer stood on the dais during the cup presentation, head bowed, hands on hips.  His body language spoke volumes for the disappointment he felt in defeat.  There were murmurs for a week or so afterwards that his attitude was “unfootball-like”, but what did he actually say?  Well, he was reported as saying, “Richmond’s win was good for football.  Premierships are made to go around.”  That doesn’t sound so bad, does it?  “We had plenty of opportunities to win, but wasted them on careless kicking.”  O.K. bad kicking, bad football.

On the other hand, it was Geelong coach, Peter Pianto, who first said the better team lost.  “Both teams were even on the day.  In fact, I think the better team lost.  The scores were no indication that Richmond was the superior side.  Richmond got the breaks when needed in the last quarter, especially in the last vital five minutes.  Congratulations to Richmond – it worked hard for the premiership. . . .”

Wherever this bitterness of Farmer’s has come from, it has developed over the years.  It’s a shame that such a champion player should finish up with such a negative attitude to a game that was played 37 years ago.

Perhaps the final words should go to a Richmond legend.  When asked how he felt about the victory, Tommy Hafey resplendent in a suit and tie, said, “When the siren sounded I was close to tears.  A premiership with Richmond — you just don’t know how it feels.”

Good on you Roar, some good reading there.

Poor old Polly, I think he wants a cracker, because he hasn't got a cracker after punting it all away.

He used to walk the golf course near my place early in the mornings picking up golf balls.

To quote John Nicholls.
Four years of ruthless planning with one aim in mind. To build a premiership side.
Weird coincidence? They say that timing is everything. Do we dare to dream and hope that perhaps with Miller and Plough we may have at last taken the first steps towards rebuilding the Tigers.
P.S. Thanks for the article Roar. I grew up in the Geelong area and to consider any team but Geelong was sinful. After a year or two of supporting the Swannies Ijumped off mediocrity and onto the Tigers mid season 67 and have never looked back. I couldn't help myself in going against Geelong as a little tacker ( people tell me I've always been an obnoxious little arsepick) must admit I dished it out round the schoolyard like a lifelong Tiger at the time.