How Richmond Do Things Differently To Other Clubs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How Richmond Do Things Differently To Other Clubs

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Interesting we are fielding 8 players under 180cm tomorrow night.

Think Jake was harsh bracketing Soldo with Castagna and Broad for bad foot skills, IMO Soldo would be in my top 5 if i were choosing a set shot lineup for us.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Niall's a moron. Broad and Soldo barely miss a target. Broad's left laces out anything under 40m away.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Niall's a moron. Broad and Soldo barely miss a target. Broad's left laces out anything under 40m away.

I thought it was quite a good article though and humourus in him using Essendon in the same breath as Richmond, even if they are trying to copy us:rotfl1, as are others

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Hope Nafe reads it and adjusts his tactics accordingly

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
Interesting we are fielding 8 players under 180cm tomorrow night.

Think Jake was harsh bracketing Soldo with Castagna and Broad for bad foot skills, IMO Soldo would be in my top 5 if i were choosing a set shot lineup for us.

Totally agree. Castagna is a little average foot skills no doubt, but Naked Broad and Ivan Soldo, although may look unfashionable, are actually very good kicks!! And as for his claim of "Not valuing foot skills at Richmond" Has he been to a game?....Who has better footskills than Richmond?

The Age is aged

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Thought it was a good article. You won't see anything like this from Robbo, he doesn't have the talent. The actual comment was that we don't value footskills as highly as other finalists.

That said, I'm happy for us not to be analysed in public. I revel in the perception of many that we're not that good and succeed through pressure and chaos. The results tend to slap them across the chops most weeks.

Tonight's team is the shortest since Hawthorn 2006, and Richmond's shortest since 1993.

Edit: That last line is incorrect. I'm rusty and was looking at the wrong report when I posted it.

Edit to Edit: Was correct the first time. Database rust.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Tonight's team is the shortest since Hawthorn 2006, and Richmond's shortest since 1993.
I've often thought height in modern footy is over rated - especially at the draft table. Obviously you need height for structure - you absolutely need key position players and taller players for certain match ups - it goes without saying.

However the ball is on the ground 90% of the time. So give me the sub 180cm guns like Prestia, Baker, Higgins, Stack, Houlie, Rioli, Lambert & Bolton. Sure I'd take Fyfe, Cripps and Dusty if they are available, but if I'd rather a hard as nails smaller bloke with clean hands and skills than a taller average footballer every day of the week.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Niall's a moron.
i agree. it's just another article chronicling the obvious, the known, and at times mistaken, and getting paid for it.
surprised he got to the end and went, "yes! print it!"

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I've often thought height in modern footy is over rated - especially at the draft table. Obviously you need height for structure - you absolutely need key position players and taller players for certain match ups - it goes without saying.

However the ball is on the ground 90% of the time. So give me the sub 180cm guns like Prestia, Baker, Higgins, Stack, Houlie, Rioli, Lambert & Bolton. Sure I'd take Fyfe, Cripps and Dusty if they are available, but if I'd rather a hard as nails smaller bloke with clean hands and skills than a taller average footballer every day of the week.

Maybe that's the thinking - players will be rusty and the ball will be on the ground a lot.

The average player today is 3cm taller than in 1993; the average player then was 3cm taller than in the early 60's, and same again back to the 1920's. Not only are footballers getting taller, but we're getting taller as a species. Richmond's defying evolution!

Last edited: