Hubris | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hubris

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Make no mistake, we are the victim of our own arrogance.

Ill discipline and hubris at the selection table lost us this game that was there to take.

Multiple 50 metre penalties with dumb, unnecessary acts.
Selecting Chol when there was a 2 time premiership forward in the wings.
Once again bringing in unfit players in a final. Memories of the 2015 final against North came flooding back. Dimma still hasn't learned
Dusty in the ruck? Madness
Short on Cameron? Why?

It's time we pulled our heads out of our collective arses at both match committee and player level.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I think Soldo and Lynch forced some serious selection problems

Reactions: 4 users
Point 1 - Ill Discipline = Agree. Inexcusable. Like a wise man once said, "if you're going to give away a 50 metre penalty reaaaaally give away a 50 metre penalty". Don't do it for handbagging.

Point 2 - Selection = Agree. If we're still seeing Riewoldt and Martin in the ruck over Chol, no reason why Caddy couldn't have done that.

Point 3 - Unfit players = Disagree, but it's difficult. If you don't play Prestia now, you don't play him at all. Edwards also looked off, but he wasn't going out. On the flip side, if Lynch was as close as it seemed he was, he should have played.

Reactions: 1 users
i don't think we needed Prestia and he wasn't right. We were going along pretty decently without him.
great footballer, rightly so Dimma digs him, but it stunk of favouritism.
Chol over Caddy was dumb. and Chol proved it. you would imagine the MC and coaches pumping him up for it, but no.

Reactions: 2 users
Point 1 - Ill Discipline = Agree. Inexcusable. Like a wise man once said, "if you're going to give away a 50 metre penalty reaaaaally give away a 50 metre penalty". Don't do it for handbagging.

Point 2 - Selection = Agree. If we're still seeing Riewoldt and Martin in the ruck over Chol, no reason why Caddy couldn't have done that.

Point 3 - Unfit players = Disagree, but it's difficult. If you don't play Prestia now, you don't play him at all. Edwards also looked off, but he wasn't going out. On the flip side, if Lynch was as close as it seemed he was, he should have played.
Your point 3 is correct. This was the week to role the dice in playing Prestia and not playing Lynch. The second chance gave us that luxury.

Reactions: 1 user
Your point 3 is correct. This was the week to role the dice in playing Prestia and not playing Lynch. The second chance gave us that luxury.

and to be fair I think playing Prestia was vindicated. He played well. Actually managed 75% TOG which I don't think they were planning on doing, so must have felt alright. I'll bet he doesn't train a lot this week, a lot of recovery.

Our defensive run was as poor as it's been all year - likely due to bringing in underdone veterans. Houli, Astbury, Edwards, Prestia. Hopefully they get match fit in a hurry.

Reactions: 1 user
Hardwick backs the system.
But you got to have the right players for the system to work.
Got ahead of himself

Reactions: 3 users
Nank's fitness means he is not the same 2017 Nank. We are very exposed in the ruck. Even with Lynch back Chol is an option.

But agree on the hubris.

Our run from the backline was decent tonight, didn't have an issue with it, we had plenty of chances to score from the back half.

Our issue was our forward line. We didn't look like scoring for most of the match. Without rioli 3 goals we got smashed.

Jack double teamed all game, chol leading away from the ball, no contest in marking attempts with long balls in and the ball coming out to quick.

Chol is not ready to be the number 1 forward which he wants to be. Jack cant do it on his own, and we are not getting enough shots from our small forwards. Dusty did nothing forward for us tonight.

It was too difficult for us to score tonight and too easy for the lions to score.

We were not potent enough forward of the ball tonight

Two things happened last night - we had too many underdone players in the midfield and the loss of Lynch killed our forward line.

Two things happened last night - we had too many underdone players in the midfield and the loss of Lynch killed our forward line.

This is it I need a nutshell really.
The Lynch issue is rectified next week. He plays obviously.

The issue of underdone players is not so simple. We had both Prestia and Edwards playing major midfield roles, and neither has the fitness base to perform the two way running we are accustomed to. A side affect of this IMO was that Dustin had to play too many midfield minutes and subsequently ran out of gas.

So I reckon we need to play Jack Ross and move Edwards to a predominantly forward role, so I think Jake Aarts becomes the unlucky one.

My changes for next week would be,
In - Lynch, Ross
Out - Aarts, Chol

Don't underestimate the Lions.
They blocked our run out of defence by clogging the centre and switch and intense forward pressure.
We did not want to go slow down the line or into forward fifty but had no choice.
The loss of Lynch and Soldo killed us in that regard.
The match up on Hipwood was wrong...Broad is his Grimes.
Chol was never going to work. Caddy was the obvious choice but still left us under sized.Balta had to go forward and be chop out ruck. For this lack of flair and insistence on rigid system set up the MC and coach are responsible.
It was a complete disaster but we were still not far off....Forget a second ruck, play Broad and we have a spare tall who will compete.
I would like Ross to come in and get Bolton forward.

Correct. Lynch was a big loss. Dimma mentioned their long spoils affected our fwd setup as we couldn't crumb the spoils.

Make no mistake, we are the victim of our own arrogance.

Ill discipline and hubris at the selection table lost us this game that was there to take.

Multiple 50 metre penalties with dumb, unnecessary acts.
Selecting Chol when there was a 2 time premiership forward in the wings.
Once again bringing in unfit players in a final. Memories of the 2015 final against North came flooding back. Dimma still hasn't learned
Dusty in the ruck? Madness
Short on Cameron? Why?

It's time we pulled our heads out of our collective arses at both match committee and player level.
Ill disciplined yes, but disagree with the rest.
If we went in with 1 ruck and only Jack as a tall forward and got beat we would be criticised.
Short on Cameron happens, we switch our defenders at times so they can stay in their preferred areas of the ground.
Fair chance Dusty would ruck more if we only play 2 players over 190cm who arent defenders,

and the myth of underdone players costing us in 2015 continues. Conca came on as sub an played as Conca plays. Griff played a typical Griff game. a couple of nearly moments, but little impact. we lost on 2015 because Cotch and Edwards were rubbish, and our other stars were just ok, not because Conca and Griff played.
Prestia was ok, probably better than Ross would have been. Not sure if you dont think Edwards or Astbury should have played?

It is absolutely fascinating to me that so many people can accurately diagnose Tom Lynch's fitness without having had any conversation or physical examination of him at all.

The entire medical industry as we know it is bracing itself for the most revolutionary change in practice in the history of human civilisation.
Meh, it’s PRE. There’s experts here on:

Coronavirus
US politics
Industrial affairs
Umpires
Local politics
All things footy

and myriad other topics. Medical diagnosis is just one more.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
It is absolutely fascinating to me that so many people can accurately diagnose Tom Lynch's fitness without having had any conversation or physical examination of him at all.

The entire medical industry as we know it is bracing itself for the most revolutionary change in practice in the history of human civilisation.
Lynch himself said he was shocked he wasn't playing