Hubris | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hubris

Where was the Richmond man? Looked like a bunch of arrogant twats out there last night. Got sucked into their rubbish too. Didn’t work hard enough. Skills were sloppy. It’s all good laughing and enjoying yourselves - it has worked for us over the last 3 years. Last night it looked more smug than fun. Those 50m penalties killed us. That last 5 mins of the second qtr completely changed the game - momentum swung right back to them when we had them on the ropes.

Despite all that we lost by 15 points and gave two goals away from 50s.

Back to basics. Dimma looked an angry man and I reckon they copped it after the game.

Reactions: 7 users
Where was the Richmond man? Looked like a bunch of arrogant twats out there last night. Got sucked into their rubbish too. Didn’t work hard enough. Skills were sloppy. It’s all good laughing and enjoying yourselves - it has worked for us over the last 3 years. Last night it looked more smug than fun. Those 50m penalties killed us. That last 5 mins of the second qtr completely changed the game - momentum swung right back to them when we had them on the ropes.

Despite all that we lost by 15 points and gave two goals away from 50s.

Back to basics. Dimma looked an angry man and I reckon they copped it after the game.
Top post mate. Agree 100%

Reactions: 1 user
He also came off the ground thinking he had a cramp when he did his hamstring.

At the end of the day he won't have played because it was felt there was enough signs to indicate a reasonable risk of further damage if he played. Bloody hard to win for the performance team in these scenarios, play Astbury and Martin in 2018 and you cop it, don't play Lynch now and cop it.

Had he been picked and pinged a 6 weeker in the first two minutes last night I'm sure the response would not have been especially supportive of the decision. At the end of the day you just have to trust your people.
Yeah players are not necessarily the best judge of their own fitness. They are always gonna say they’re right to play.

by contrast look at Prestia's game - pretty damn good for a guy who hasn't played a game in 5 months or whatever it is. Dylan Grimes came back quickly and was fine. Our fitness/medical guys get a lot right.

Reactions: 3 users
by contrast look at Prestia's game - pretty damn good for a guy who hasn't played a game in 5 months or whatever it is. Dylan Grimes came back quickly and was fine. Our fitness/medical guys get a lot right.
Prestia will be better for the run, and so will Edwards and other players who have missed significant time this season for various reasons. Losing is far from ideal, but it gives us the opportunity to get another game into these guys in a real pressure situation. Chol was to me the biggest disappointment, he failed to give Jack any support or coverage and his ruck work was very ordinary. Put Lynch in that game and I reckon we just about take it.

Reactions: 3 users
He also came off the ground thinking he had a cramp when he did his hamstring.

At the end of the day he won't have played because it was felt there was enough signs to indicate a reasonable risk of further damage if he played. Bloody hard to win for the performance team in these scenarios, play Astbury and Martin in 2018 and you cop it, don't play Lynch now and cop it.

Had he been picked and pinged a 6 weeker in the first two minutes last night I'm sure the response would not have been especially supportive of the decision. At the end of the day you just have to trust your people.

I agree with you TBR. The headlines/tweets taken from his radio interview are trying to suggest we mucked up. Our record these last few years on players injury recovery is really strong. Lynch played every game last year, after arriving with his PCL problems, his pre-season regime was clinically managed. A credit to our people and Tom.

Watching the game again today. It's hard not to be disappointed with the free kicks and 50m penalties. Not making excuses. BUT, players are not all dumb. Some of our players would be left frustrated their tackles get unrewarded, they'd feel the frustration that on occasion, their opponents seem to get away with stuff that they, the current champs, dont seem to be able to get away with. And in these big games, with the noise of affirmation like the Port game over there or last night, I think it can take its toll on occasion.

Maybe when you play at the MCG one week and you get the free kicks your way b/c of the crowd; its almost tolerable to get the rub of the green the week after if you are interstate. But to have to accept this over the whole year may just send a few players over the edge. As the champs, we are the hunted most weeks. That makes sense too I guess. Shai Bolton is 21. He got frustrated. Marlion tried to stick up for a brother. Not the best way, but I understand it.

To be honest, the Lions have matured and played really well. And they attacked us like we attached Adelaide in 2017 and Geelong. That's what up and coming teams on the cusp do.

My worry is the lack of support for the warrior Nank (I think he is terrific), the lack of gut runners we have apart from Lambert (I dont mean speed, I mean those gut runners with the courage to run all day), and the increasing temperatures in Brisbane which we wouldnt be used to playing. Will be interesting to see how todays 26deg day goes for Bulldogs v Saints.

Reactions: 2 users
It is absolutely fascinating to me that so many people can accurately diagnose Tom Lynch's fitness without having had any conversation or physical examination of him at all.

I can understand many getting upset about it Large Son Of Bull but I agree.

On face value I'm sure many non medical professionals might be perplexed and a bit miffed as to why Andrews played and Tommy didn't and we went on to lose a critical game.

If Tommy was fit and the medicos/ physio's and conditioning staff were highly confident he would've played.

Any risk on a first time hamstring with a player not used to dealing with them is fraught with danger especially Marquee stars.

Tom will be good to go next week, had he played and twanged it and we still lost we'd be well and truly Ratshit.

Yep I'm upset he didn't play but I am also glad he's coming back next week with another week of work and rehab into his leg.

Difficult to get a gauge upon soft tissue injuries with players who arent used to having them and know the signs and symptoms ie Grimes or Cotch or Bash as opposed to Tom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As I said in the game day thread, if Lynch was a bit iffy on the hamstring, you don't play him in the only final you can afford to lose. Sounds to me like it was close but let's be conservative.

If it was a Prelim then I reckon he would have played.

But it wasn't.

The risk was too big, especially with a player who has never done a hammy. Geez, I've never done a hammy, would have no idea if I did too.

As for hubris: bollocks.We did not play as well as we can, but I don't think we went in assuming a win. We could have done that against Adelaide and I don't think we did it in round 18 either. Respect for the opposition is one of the best things we have had going for us over the last 4 years. Plus, too many players experienced the bad times for too long, they know how hard it is to get to the top, and how easy it is to miss out.

Brisbane were really gunning to beat us. Season in their home state, game at their home ground, opposition away from home for months. They would have been preparing for what they would have seen as a really red hot chance to beat a team they hadn't beaten for 10 years and in a very important game. They played well and planned well. Bit like us against Geelong in 2017.

I think we are better than Geelong as a team and will be able to bounce back. Plus, once we got Geelong in 2017, we buried them, Brisbane could not bury us.

We're still in this and if there was any hubris, it surely is gone now.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Quite frankly, Richmond need to have a look at the Pies efforts tonight. That's the job in front of us.

Quite frankly, Richmond need to have a look at the Pies efforts tonight. That's the job in front of us.

We just had too many players down.
Prestia coming back after 3 months out straight into a final was always going to be a huge ask.
Lambert isn't Lambert this year.
Edwards had 2nd game back fever.
Dusty dosent like playing in October its Vegas Time.
Nakas was Mumford like. Slow
Flappers and Pickett Houdini it after qtr time.
And Houli was thinking about the extra 2 years he is going to get a Essendon.
Overall a really ordinary performance and we only lost by 3 goals.
We will be ok.

Prestia coming back after 3 months out straight into a final was always going to be a huge ask.
We will be ok.

Bolton needs to keep his cool
Rioli needs to run and chase
Balta to help in ruck in backline and Lynch/Riewoldt in forward line. (Desperate times)
Ross needs to come back in - he has form
Pickett need to kick straight and play the TEAM ethos
Cotch needs to go hard for the WHOLE game
Markov to provide run off half back
Lynch hasn’t play consistently well all season (and is also prone to loose his cool)
- needs to clunk some big marks and kick a bag
Jack needs to kick a couple and take Dougall out of the play.
George needs to ......well he needs a lot.
Umpires need to be unbiased (like that will happen)
And commentators will need to be muted again.

The pies ambushed the Eagles early and that was enough in the end, bit like the way they ambushed us in 2018 - there is no way we can ambush any one as they are all out to pull us down (because we are the best).

Agree I liked the pies effort last night but I don’t think the reason we lost was because of lack of effort or over confidence but could be wrong.

I didn’t think we played that badly, we should have been in front at half time. It reminded me of the GWS game we executed poorly going inside 50.

And other than dusty in the first half no one played At their best. Some credit has to go to Brisbane and Fagan. They out pressured us at times and laid some crucial tackles at critical times that were rewarded. They kicked well early. Nank has a poor one and the 2 wingers were clearly beaten. Jack couldn’t hold a mark and Chol was ineffective at stopping Harris. Grimes didn’t take an intercept mark.

I have little doubt we don’t lose to them if we get another crack.

• Love
We will be ok.
We will find out Friday Zips if...

a) if this team still has the hunger
b) will our leaders lift
c) will so many have another bad game
d) selections will tell us a lot
e) is our dominance over
f) is being the hunted too much for this group
g) will the backline have another poor game structurally & set up wise.

I agree. If Friday's game was a cut throat elimination, then Lynch would of played. If we have any chance this year, it's having Lynch playing in the remaining three games.

Reactions: 1 users
We are either Fu#$ed or we will be Ferocious.

Too many worried about getting injured rather than win at any cost - Team before self.