Hypothetical Question - What is Dusty's Trade Value? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hypothetical Question - What is Dusty's Trade Value?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Let’s be clear here, I am not advocating we trade him. I hope he takes us back to the last Saturday in September. Multiple times.

However, if he wants to move to Sydney, the club will not stand in his way. Nor should they. He will always be a legend of the RFC.

Which leads me to the question, what is his trade value? What do either the Swans or Giants have to offer us to satisfy us? You also need to factor in Dusty’s salary at approx $1.2 million and how that gets paid. You also need to factor in that Dusty has 2 years left on his contract. You also need to factor in that Dusty will be 31 at the end of the season. You also need to factor in Dusty’s star power. He will put bums on seats up there.

Be realistic.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Top ten draft pick and a very good player; under the age of 25. He's on $1.2m a year and still one of the very best players in the game even though he is 30. He is also the greatest finals player of all time. He could have at least 5 years left as an elite player.

I really want him to stay but if he does want to move that is the minimum price IMO. Hope it is a moot argument.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Tarranto, heeney, mills, greene, green, mcdonald, hopper, blakey, taylor,

+ first rounders from all of sydney until 2030

+ the opera house dismantled and rebuilt as the new grandstand at punt road

+ dusty plays in a richmond jumper and only on the mcg

+ dusty gets the deed to Kirrabilli

+ nsw agrees to extradite steve hocking, put him in a comancheros jacket and a police hat and tie him to a lamppost in lakemba

Not entirely realistic, i know. Tigers would probably want the COLA end backdated a decade as well and a few second rounders

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Tarranto, heeney, mills, greene, green, mcdonald, hopper, blakey, taylor,

GWS - I think Taranto and Tom Green would be a fair trade. They would have to chuck in a draft pick on top if we have to pay some of his salary.

Swans - For some reason I find the idea of Dusty in a Swans guernsey more offensive than seeing him in a GWS jumper. Maybe because he’d turn the Swans into flag contenders? I would ask for Logan McDonald and a top 20 draft pick.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
I have Toranto in my super coach team - gee he butchers the ball a bit.... as does Tom as well but lots more up side to Tom.

I always believed we would have fair crack at Tom end up 2023 regardless of ant Dusty move. We should have cap with Lambert, Cotch, Jack manybe Prestia not playing into 2024 so $$ to lure and a 1st round pick to GWS.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Geelong got 2 first rounders, and a couple of seconds, and gave back some junk picks for Tim Kelly.
Dustin is levels above this bloke, so at least 2 firsts, one this year and one next year, and a slew of seconds.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Geelong got 2 first rounders, and a couple of seconds, and gave back some junk picks for Tim Kelly.
Dustin is levels above this bloke, so at least 2 firsts, one this year and one next year, and a slew of seconds.
Yeah but Kelly was a lot younger.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
A couple of years (28 this year), Martin could easily play until he's 36 or 37, out of the goal square and kick 65-70 goals a year. Kelly looks finished already.
A c'mon Wowsers. That deal for Kelly was done when he was 25 years old - a full 6 years younger than Dusty is now, not 2 years.

You're cheating Wowsers !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Threads like this just feed the media frenzy and when the "journos" see a thread like this on an RFC forum, they can rightly claim "The Richmond fans want to know!!!"

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Yeah but Kelly was a lot younger.
Yes, but he is no Dusty Martin.
Dusty will bring fans through the gates.

I would expet a couple of first round picks, second pick + player.

But if it some how happens. You know its going to involve another club, maybe two other clubs and picks getting swapped everywhere.
This trade will get messy

Just hope we don't keep up with our poor reputation of trading decent players for throw away picks.

D.Martin to Sydney for Pick 43.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
He's worth a lot more than we will probably get, similar to Franklin to Sydney albeit via a different mechanism.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
A couple of years (28 this year), Martin could easily play until he's 36 or 37, out of the goal square and kick 65-70 goals a year. Kelly looks finished already.
Spot on - right now - his physique - his body type - his durability - his preparation, there is potentially another 7-8 year player.. Who right to the end can be damaging and win games off his boot.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Let’s be clear here, I am not advocating we trade him. I hope he takes us back to the last Saturday in September. Multiple times.

However, if he wants to move to Sydney, the club will not stand in his way. Nor should they. He will always be a legend of the RFC.

Which leads me to the question, what is his trade value? What do either the Swans or Giants have to offer us to satisfy us? You also need to factor in Dusty’s salary at approx $1.2 million and how that gets paid. You also need to factor in that Dusty has 2 years left on his contract. You also need to factor in that Dusty will be 31 at the end of the season. You also need to factor in Dusty’s star power. He will put bums on seats up there.

Be realistic.
You just had to do it.

• Sad

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
John Ralph said we would ask for Green for a direct swap or, if not, Taranto and their first rounder. Is it me or does the secondary deal look better?

Swans would make more sense for Dusty but just can't see how they could get a deal done without giving up someone like Heeney

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
If he did get traded (he won't), then I think you will be grossly disappointed at what we get back in return then seven-eleven.
Mayb we just do anotheer classic Richmond trade
Pick 42 + a future second round?

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm a Dustymaniac, the thought of Dusty leaving would be devastating, just like if the great Royce Hart hard left the mighty Tiges.

If Dusty wants to leave a first round selection and Tom Green (if he were to go to GWS) would be fair and reasonable compensation. GWS would not only be getting a superstar, they would be getting a cash cow with merchandise and the marketing that Dusty would generate.