Hypothetical Question - What is Dusty's Trade Value? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hypothetical Question - What is Dusty's Trade Value?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Don't think he'll go and don't want him too, But he worth an absolute motza to Sydney, top dollar, the grandstand, for the following reasons:

*He's one of the all-time greats.
*History shows players of his stature and ability play until at least 35. Probably 6 seasons left, 3 as near-peak.
*Sydney's brand his built on poaching a league-leading superstar for marketing purposes, always with bona-fides beyond question, and some glamour and rugby-league-ish-toughness about them. It has always been that way and always will be. No other player in the comp comes anywhere near Dusty in filling that brief.

These also apply to GWS. And there would also be a bidding war in some form between the 2 Sydney clubs on top of the above. In this hypothetical scenario, any talking-down of his value for any reason is ludicrous.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Threads like this just feed the media frenzy and when the "journos" see a thread like this on an RFC forum, they can rightly claim "The Richmond fans want to know!!!"
agree, there are many posts on here complaining about the media frenzy, and just as many posts joining in the speculation.
lock and dare i say "bin" this thread, and discuss Dusty the footballer on the Dusty thread.
leave hypothetical speculation based on hypothetical speculation to the media hacks.

Reactions: 6 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Its just fans talking *smile*. Its what we do. For me its just like considering the value of a family heirloom you have no intention of ever selling, everybody does it.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
GWS - I think Taranto and Tom Green would be a fair trade. They would have to chuck in a draft pick on top if we have to pay some of his salary.

Swans - For some reason I find the idea of Dusty in a Swans guernsey more offensive than seeing him in a GWS jumper. Maybe because he’d turn the Swans into flag contenders? I would ask for Logan McDonald and a top 20 draft pick.
I wouldn't be going for both Taranto and Green, too similar. One of them and Callaghan.

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
We have matured as a group - 3 flags probably does that. In the old days we would be demolishing punt road on the suggestion we would trade a Dusty type away from punt road.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Green and Bruhn,for a swap of first round picks,as long as GWS stay in the position they are now ,l think the Tiges will be top four at year's end,and we also get GWS second round,and we give them our second or third rounder for next year.
And if we can get Paddy Dow cheap ,that would be 3 mids in for next year ,and give us a top 10 pick for this year,and 3 second round picks ,it sets us up.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Hmmm age n wage…. Very hard to really know. 1st rd + decent player that suits need and future second rounder… dunno, really dunno…. It’s also how long does dusty want to play, not how long could he play…

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Green and Greene - GWS
2 first rounders - Sydeny

Rather have Dusty as Green will land with us anyway.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Where his head may be atm.
Stays at RFC with no pressure.
Goes too either Sydney side and expectations will be too deliver a flag.Pressure high.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
If he's going to stay ,all he needs to do is talk to the media ,or get Ralph mouth to do it.
All the silence is just adding to the speculation,and looking more likely he will be leaving,the other thing is he may just retire at years end.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
You aren't going to get a huge return form someone turning 32, no matter how good they have been and especially when they have a massive salary attached.

Yes, he could play for years but durable guys who miss few games also tend to crash quickly at the end. The Deledio experience is very typical of players who have a lot of miles on the clock due to not missing games.

I'd say we would only get into the first round if we were prepared to keep a portion of salary, otherwise we are probably looking at something in the second with maybe another one in future.

His value to this club has already been reaped, and it was spectacular.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You aren't going to get a huge return form someone turning 32, no matter how good they have been and especially when they have a massive salary attached.

Yes, he could play for years but durable guys who miss few games also tend to crash quickly at the end. The Deledio experience is very typical of players who have a lot of miles on the clock due to not missing games.

I'd say we would only get into the first round if we were prepared to keep a portion of salary, otherwise we are probably looking at something in the second with maybe another one in future.

His value to this club has already been reaped, and it was spectacular.
Think we’d get a bit more than that but otherwise agree. There’s some massively over inflated values being put on Dusty on this thread.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Think we’d get a bit more than that but otherwise agree. There’s some massively over inflated values being put on Dusty on this thread.

I think people are underestimating the financial component.

It's easy to say as a player he is worth these picks but we have to remember a trade would be asking a club to pick up 1.3 million in wages which would create a mess in anyone's salary cap, if they were even able to manage it at all.

I'm sure they would add another year or two on to smooth it out but we are still going to take a huge hit on his value because of the attached financial terms.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

It's easy to say as a player he is worth these picks but we have to remember a trade would be asking a club to pick up 1.3 million in wages which would create a mess in anyone's salary cap, if they were even able to manage it at all.

I'm sure they would add another year or two on to smooth it out but we are still going to take a huge hit on his value because of the attached financial terms.
That’s right. Plus you have the diminishing returns factor to build in. You’ve got 2 years age 33-34 to deal with @ 1.3 million per year. That’s a big risk for any club to take on.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I would guess we would pick up some of that, and I suspect Dusty if he left, would only do so knowing that we would be fairly compensated.

I agree with you that some of the values put on this thread are absurd. Dusty is still a gun and could easily go around another 5 years, but talk of Green or Taranto AND a 1st rounder are crazy talk IMO.

A pick around 10 (with us absorbing some of the salary) would be feasible. Now, I don't think GWS would go this way unless they think they can get a massive uplift from the rest of their team which I don't think will happen. Sydney most likely and they don't have a pick in this range. If it were Sydney, I'd think we'd ask for their 2 1sts (Sydneys and Melbournes, which could be 17 and 18 by the end of the year) but we might have to give something back, lets say our 2nd. We'd still go to the draft with 3 1sts (ours, Sydneys and Melbournes) and Norths 2nd.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I would guess we would pick up some of that, and I suspect Dusty if he left, would only do so knowing that we would be fairly compensated.

I agree with you that some of the values put on this thread are absurd. Dusty is still a gun and could easily go around another 5 years, but talk of Green or Taranto AND a 1st rounder are crazy talk IMO.

A pick around 10 (with us absorbing some of the salary) would be feasible. Now, I don't think GWS would go this way unless they think they can get a massive uplift from the rest of their team which I don't think will happen. Sydney most likely and they don't have a pick in this range. If it were Sydney, I'd think we'd ask for their 2 1sts (Sydneys and Melbournes, which could be 17 and 18 by the end of the year) but we might have to give something back, lets say our 2nd. We'd still go to the draft with 3 1sts (ours, Sydneys and Melbournes) and Norths 2nd.
Yep. Much more realistic.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If richmond paid dustin martin to play for another side,

I would honestly microwave my membership, which i guess these days involves jamming your harddrive and cloud in there for 3 minutes?

And quit