Ignore function | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ignore function

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
If there's a poster who annoys you enough that you want to fire off insults and abuse it's a safer idea to add them to your ignore list than to react. You don't have to read their comments then, although you'll still see them if someone else quotes them.

Modify Profile
Buddies/Ignore list
Edit Ignore list
Type in the username
Click Add
Their posts won't show then unless you choose to open them.

:)

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
I seem to have a problem with my ignore list, in that it is no longer ignoring people and I can't add anyone back to it. Anyone else have this problem?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The ignore/buddy function has been disabled for the moment. The site problems started after it was enabled. Just another thing to try to reduce our drain on the hosts resources and see if we can get the forum functioning better.

The disappointing thing about the search function is that although it was supposed to prevent interaction with chosen site members people used it as a way of harassing and ridiculing others. If they seriously wanted to ignore them they shouldn't initiate debate with/about them. The football threads were full of discussion about ignored posters.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Thats a shame as the ignore list also allowed you to ignore PMs from people who were keen to play internet tough guy in PM if you challenged them in public

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
You can report inappropriate PMs to the mods. The same rules apply to PMs as they do to the forum in general.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
rosy23 said:
The ignore/buddy function has been disabled for the moment. The site problems started after it was enabled. Just another thing to try to reduce our drain on the hosts resources and see if we can get the forum functioning better.

That's a bit disappointing, the game day threads in particular will be pottery much unreadable for me. Ah well.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
mld said:
That's a bit disappointing, the game day threads in particular will be pottery much unreadable for me. Ah well.

I find it very easy to skip the posts I don't wish to read.

The problem we have with the site is that PRE has grown so big our hosts think we need a devoted server. I can't afford or justify that kind of expense so we've got to try anything we can to get the forum functioning properly even if it means the loss of some of the bells and whistles.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
team announced right now
the ferals are out in force
I miss you ignore

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Baloo said:
team announced right now
the ferals are out in force

A glance through recent posts at the time you commented makes me think that's somewhat of an over-reaction.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
rosy23 said:
A glance through recent posts at the time you commented makes me think that's somewhat of an over-reaction.

not easy to make a haiku work if dealing only with facts

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
rosy23 said:
Ok good Haiku...poor factual basis...and no weather report.

An exagerration in the quest for artistic beauty maybe, but not necessarily without merit

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Baloo said:
An exagerration in the quest for artistic beauty maybe, but not necessarily without merit

Yes, as we all know...

brace-yourself-winter-is-coming.jpg

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Has disabling the ignore function improved the boards performance ? If not, can we expect it back anytime soon ? Or is the reason for it's disablement due to other factors ?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wrt manually ignoring, When you are reading on a mobile device you often don't see the poster, just the post, to ensure you can read the text. As Tapatalk or it's ilk hasn't been installed to make mobile reading a lot easier, you tend to read ever post before you realize who the poster is.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Baloo said:
Has disabling the ignore function improved the boards performance ? If not, can we expect it back anytime soon ? Or is the reason for it's disablement due to other factors ?

We've already discussed this enough by PM Baloo. You're obviously having a massive dummy spit over it. I'm not interested in further discussion with you about it but feel free to indulge yourself on this thread. Please stop spamming the rest of forum about it as requested though.

Baloo said:
Wrt manually ignoring, When you are reading on a mobile device you often don't see the poster, just the post, to ensure you can read the text. As Tapatalk or it's ilk hasn't been installed to make mobile reading a lot easier, you tend to read ever post before you realize who the poster is.

Tapatalk and it's ilk don't force you to respond with sarcastic putdowns, personal digs and mentions of ignoring certain posters. Surely you can still get the drift of the message and choose to move on if you don't like it. A personal manual, self-controlled ignore function that we all have control over is a great feature to have.