Impressions of the candidates | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Impressions of the candidates

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
Like most Melbourne based RFC members, I got my voting forms and candidate statements yesterday. I've read through them and these are my observations;

1) No women.

2) The candidates can be pigeon holed into one of three categories - "Ordinary Fans Just Like You and Me" (OFJLYaM), "Big End of Town, High Falutin' Types" (BEoTHFT) and "Wannabe Big End of Town, High Falutin' Types" (WBEoTHFT).

3) Tony Jewell didn't bother to include a leaflet. His vote in the last Board election was significantly higher than anyone else. This suggests (whether he's meant it or not) that he reckons his a laydown Misere for the position.

4) Every single candidate said something along the lines of "We've been rubbish for ages and most of the current board have been involved" and then later in their leaflet say that "Even though we've been rubbish, the board has had some good ideas . . .recently" and then some even go one to say "But even though there's been some good ideas lately, we still need fresh blood." Of course this is what all new non-incumbant candidates will say. . .It's all very softly, softly.

5) Only two candidiates have any significant AFL experience. . .and neither of them sent out a leaflet.

If Benny Gale stood for the Board. . .fair dinkum he'd win. . . . hmm. Maybe a "write-in" campaign is what's needed.

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
ha ha HB. Know what you mean.

I reckon it comes down to what sort of mix you'd want on the board. If you want the OFJLYaM, then you should probably vote for David Clayton. To my mind he seems the best of that lot.

If you want the BEoTHFT, then you vote for who you'd want of those. . Mine's for Peter Matthis, even though he'd be more of the same. The BEoTHFT are all more of the same. . .just a different name.

If you want the WBEoTHFT. . .then you need your head read.

The Board shouldn't be all ex-footy players, nor all BEoTHFT. . .and there should be no WBEoTHFT. There should be fan representation ala OFJLYaM.

om21

Original Melbourne 21
Oct 7, 2003
Werribee
www.original21.com
Mathies was the only one who spoke about getting Richmond people into the club.....he was the only one who talked sense in that we have accepted mediocrity at all levels......both board and off-field. Whilst we have improved off the field, there is still plenty of work to be done.

Our PR work is terrible. Miller makes stupid comments, Frawley the same.....we are being portrayed as a shambolic club on many fronts.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
Tiger in a Tube said:
reckon it comes down to what sort of mix you'd want on the board. If you want the OFJLYaM, then you should probably vote for David Clayton. To my mind he seems the best of that lot.

If you want the BEoTHFT, then you vote for who you'd want of those. . Mine's for Peter Matthis, even though he'd be more of the same. The BEoTHFT are all more of the same. . .just a different name.

If you want the WBEoTHFT. . .then you need your head read.

The Board shouldn't be all ex-footy players, nor all BEoTHFT. . .and there should be no WBEoTHFT. There should be fan representation ala OFJLYaM.

Thanks for clearing that up, TinaT ;D ;D

Only thing I'll say is that I know Matthies professionally, and he's a good operator. Don't know whether that translates to a footy club board, though.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
the problem I have is, noone informs us how they are going to achieve what they say they are going to do.

Talk is easy, no action plan and they wont achieve anything.

I totally agree with TIAT that if Benny Gale was to have nominated, he'd win hands down. He'd certainly get my vote.

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
Tiger in a Tube said:

My thoughts exactly Tiger in a Tube. I'm all for more OFJLYaMs on the Board (as you call them).

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Wasn't it nice of Mr March to give us a comprehensive summary on his company. ::)

I would be impressed if he had achieved all that selling products that were manufactured in Australia rather than China. As that would be a far more difficult task.

Anyway he is better than Jewell I guess, although atleast Jewell tells it like it is when he is interviewed. You get a straight 'no-crap' answer from Jewell. Whereas any other word that seems to come out of punt rd seems to suffer from a problem known as 'The Greenberg effect'. Whereby, all is positive and happy in the world and no-one has any problems (apparently this even works after 10 or more losses in a row. ::)

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
OK, I'm a postgrad student of English, so allow me to be a wanker here in analysing those flyers. Although this is tongue-in-cheek, I really think that anyone who is incapable of producing of a grammatically correct leaflet should not be allowed on the board. How can you talk about 'leaving no stone unturned in the search for perfection' (and other such cliches) when you can't even produce a flyer free of errors? I mean, if your English isn't that good, get it checked for christ's sake! This is a public document!

1. Worst offender: Stuart Lawrence

Examples:

"Why, I am I here?" (Yes, Stuart, I hear you are.)

"Coke Cola" (No, the company is called 'Coca-Cola' - you can't even spell the name of your major client?)

Missing apostrophes:

"lets use it" (let's)

"Worlds Best practice" (how ironic... 'world's' please)

Apostrophe not needed:

"Uncle's captained North Melbourne" (uncles)

Mangled grammar:

"Raised and lived in Richmond for over 30's, tiger tough." (What?)

Grade: C

2. Poor Effort: Gary March

Missing apostrophe:

"CSI reputation is unsurpassed" (CSI's reputation)

Tautology:

"I am a recent new-comer to the Richmond board" (Every new-comer is recent, Gary.)

Mangled grammar:

"I believe the decisions the Board has made in the short period I have been a Director has set the foundation.." (should be 'have', it goes with 'decisions')

Grade: B-

3. Jason Verstak

Well done Jason, but you missed an apostrophe:

"supporters voice"

(Grade: B+)

4. Jim Giannopoulos

Jim, you use too much cliched corporate-speak, but overall not bad. One apostrophe should come after the 's':

"our member's needs" (or do you mean that we only have one member?)

(Grade: B)

5. David Clayton, John Mathies and Peter Welsh

Well done boys, you have managed to provide coherent leaflets. You both get an 'A+'.

6. Tony Jewell

You have not handed in your assignment. I am awarding you the dunce cap and sending you to the back of the class. Lazy.

(Grade: Fail)

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
Thanks "Tigerblood", I had my flyer worked on by a couple of other Tiger supporters (one a journalist) to help make it as readable and coherent as possible.

One thing I have learnt over time is that there many, many valuable resources out there in Tigerland just waiting for the opportunity to help the club, and if we could harness 50% of that we'd be a lot better for it. :)

David C.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Good to see you on here David. You got my vote I sent off today so all the best.

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
You got my vote David, so all the best.

Stuart Lawrence lost my vote as soon as I finished reading his flyer and counted the mistakes. Very unprofessional, maybe he thought that most Tiger supporters are illiterate so wouldn't notice the difference. WRONG

RFC4eva

Tiger Rookie
Oct 15, 2003
Vic
Tigerblood said:
5. David Clayton, John Mathies and Peter Welsh

Well done boys, you have managed to provide coherent leaflets. You both get an 'A+'.

Sorry TB but I can't resist. ;D It should be: 'You all get an 'A+'.' ;)

BTW, I voted for David Clayton, John Mathies and Gary March 8)

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
I've seen that vote somewhere before RFC4eva. Lets hope wev'e done the right thing. :D

RFC4eva

Tiger Rookie
Oct 15, 2003
Vic
Walster said:
I've seen that vote somewhere before RFC4eva. Lets hope wev'e done the right thing. :D

I voted this way for similar reasons as yourself Walster. David Clayton comes across as very passionate and down to earth. John Matthies comes across as having a sound knowledge of diverse businesses.

I had trouble selecting a third, but agree with you that Gary March hasn't been on the scene long and deserves extra time. His connection to concept sports also influenced my vote, as this company (from what I've seen) appears to be on the up and up.

;DTB A teacher talking back to a teacher ;)

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
tigerBlood - I was going to do some analysis of the spelling and grammer etc in my original post. Declined because it was too hard.

Had. To. Force. Self. To. Look. Past. In. Articulate. Sentences. For. Content.

(This post has had extra periods added for comedic effect.)

David - nice to see you posting here. Been lurking long? :)

sabretooth

I don't sleep for a week when we get beat - JD
Dec 9, 2003
G'luck DC!

[whispers to himself: gotta watch those 'postrophes, bloody teachers everywhere! walks away shaking head and muttering]