Indigenous History Debate | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous History Debate

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
There you go again projecting Big Richo using the phrase 'My people', infering all white people have a shameful history of racism.

You can speak for yourself and your ancestors and if they engaged in acts of racism than that is your burden to bear.

Most Europeans emigrated here after federation so to paint them as racist because they are European makes no sense.
Racism stopped at federation? Well I'll be buggered. You learn something new everyday.

Fair bit of defensiveness on here, that is the racists calling card in my book.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
History today is less objective fact than historical perversion of the sort that sees a little-known cricketer named Johnny Mullagh elevated to the Hall of Fame ahead of Bill Brown who averaged 50 as a Test opener. What the national team wouldn't do for a Bill Brown right now...

I guess there are two broad schools of thought here - one that believes the same basic standard of behaviour should apply to all players at the club, and another that insists on a form of apartheid to cater for some perceived inferiority. Before anyone goes throwing the word around, maybe have a think about who the true racists are.
BillBrown may well deserve a spot but Halls of Fame aren't just Shrines of Statistics. Fair bit of subjectivity in them.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I don't think you read that very closely. That statement was about history.

Do white people share a shameful history of racism? Absolutely, we all own our shared history, I'd be surprised if anyone would disagree with that.

Does that mean each individual white person is racist? Of course not.
All people share a history of racism/tribalism/cultism and just about every other ism you can think of but most of those alive today are not responsible for it and do not have to accept any accountability for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
History today is less objective fact than historical perversion of the sort that sees a little-known cricketer named Johnny Mullagh elevated to the Hall of Fame ahead of Bill Brown who averaged 50 as a Test opener. What the national team wouldn't do for a Bill Brown right now...

I guess there are two broad schools of thought here - one that believes the same basic standard of behaviour should apply to all players at the club, and another that insists on a form of apartheid to cater for some perceived inferiority. Before anyone goes throwing the word around, maybe have a think about who the true racists are.
Snippet in today's Hun about the Mullagh medal gives some info as to his ability.
Dominated Aust cricket's first tour of England way way back in 1868. Played 45 of a possible 47 matches. 245 wickets at an average of 10 runs per wicket. Scored 1698 runs at an average of 23.65.
They're mighty fine numbers by anyone's standards.
Then if you stop n consider the difficulties many indigenous people still have in adapting to life away from their land, family, tribe in 2020 compared to what it would have been like for the cricketers way back then to adjust to a long sea voyage, being away from their usual life for such a long time in a completely foreign country.

Like most I have stuff all idea about the players who took that first tour a hundred n fifty years ago, other than that they were all indigenous. Can't see any possible reason why he shouldn't be given a spot in the Hall of Fame, reckon he mighta earn't one.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
All people share a history of racism/tribalism/cultism and just about every other ism you can think of but most of those alive today are not responsible for it and do not have to accept any accountability for it.
Bulldust.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
There you go again projecting Big Richo using the phrase 'My people', infering all white people have a shameful history of racism.

You can speak for yourself and your ancestors and if they engaged in acts of racism than that is your burden to bear.

Most Europeans emigrated here after federation so to paint them as racist because they are European makes no sense.

Whatever Karen

• Sad

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
Haven't been here for a while, but looks like a bunch of sandy white sooks have taken over the joint.

Love hearing white people *smile* about "reverse racism".

"Reverse Racism" is the biggest white, 3rd world problem joke of all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Snippet in today's Hun about the Mullagh medal gives some info as to his ability.
Dominated Aust cricket's first tour of England way way back in 1868. Played 45 of a possible 47 matches. 245 wickets at an average of 10 runs per wicket. Scored 1698 runs at an average of 23.65.
They're mighty fine numbers by anyone's standards.
Then if you stop n consider the difficulties many indigenous people still have in adapting to life away from their land, family, tribe in 2020 compared to what it would have been like for the cricketers way back then to adjust to a long sea voyage, being away from their usual life for such a long time in a completely foreign country.

Like most I have stuff all idea about the players who took that first tour a hundred n fifty years ago, other than that they were all indigenous. Can't see any possible reason why he shouldn't be given a spot in the Hall of Fame, reckon he mighta earn't one.

Great post TM.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The tour was a money-making enterprise comprised solely of stockmen from Victoria's Edenhope district who played against mediocre amateur teams on diabolical wickets. It's fascinating from a historical perspective - e.g. the players were initially coached by Tom Wills of Australian football fame, whose father had been murdered by Aboriginals a few years earlier - but let's not pretend this was first-class cricket or its equivalent. To suddenly accord it such importance embodies the revisionism referred to earlier. Johnny Mullagh, by CA's own declaration, is a token choice to represent early Aboriginal cricket. All of which is fine so long as perspective is maintained. Bending CA's own rules to include Mullagh in the Hall of Fame is not doing that.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
we should be celebrating the treatment of Indigenous Australians.

(sorry for the wiki link- they were a quick google- they do link to proper research.)

Do you think Athorn is arguing to ignore this history?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Your question still supposes all white people are racist, that's absurd.
To a significant extent we as a race have stood back or turned our backs on the mistreatment of our indigenous people and this has been going on since the arrival of the first fleet.
At present that mistreatment continues to result in a reduced standard of living as against those most white families enjoy. Housing, health services and education are 3 of the principal areas where we have turned our backs and allowed inequality to fester, with high infant mortality and suicide rates just two of the more obvious consequences.

It is trite to point out that not all whites are racist but the fact remains that we as a race have failed miserably in this area.

Last edited:

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Haven't been here for a while, but looks like a bunch of sandy white sooks have taken over the joint.

Love hearing white people *smile* about "reverse racism".

"Reverse Racism" is the biggest white, 3rd world problem joke of all.
There is no reverse racism, just racism.

It doesn't matter what colour your skin is, if you think you're superior because of your race or another race can be stereotyped by some characteristic, then it's just plain racism.

Split this out from the Sydney Stack thread, and will leave it here if we can keep the debate to civil discourse. If it starts getting personal or inflamed, I'll lock it. Remember the site rules and please "play the ball, not the man".

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Seems to be a lot more name calling than debating, has anyone ever changed there opinion because someone else called them a name?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Never wanted a race discussion, it's been done to death. Someone mentioned history and how it should be taught... I just pointed out that there are political forces rewriting history, with flights of fancy substituting for documented evidence in the form of e.g. Marn Grook theory or Bruce Pascoe's fevered imaginings.

Don't see how Syd has been disadvantaged in the last two years after landing at the best club in the country and living with good role models. If in doubt, is it that difficult to copy what the successful players are doing?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
All people share a history of racism/tribalism/cultism and just about every other ism you can think of.
Always has been, probably always will be. Human race has been climbing off a mighty low base the last thirty or forty years, still got a long way to go. Just a matter of continually trying to improve each generation.

Reactions: 2 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
All of the comments have some merit, but I was not anticipating racist dialogue.

What I said was that Tony Robinson's TV show could or should be a compulsory subject in schools today. or words to that effect.

This show of 6 episodes dealt with facts and research from various sources and told it how it was from the very first days of Australia being "discovered."

Covered quite extensively the treatment of aboriginals right from the start as well as our convict heritage.

Would recommend these programmes to any who are interested in Australian history.

Covers exploration, aboriginal culture and treatment, immigration, and all the good and not so good aspects of life in Australia from day 1 so to speak.

The children growing up today, plus the newer additions to our country, would benefit from this history lesson.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Are the women in some sort of cult?
I'd like to point out that this was a comment in regards the Brownless/Lyon Xmas lunch and nothing to do with the "Indigenous History Debate"

• Haha

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Amen.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
nothing to debate here.

black fellas lived on this continent quite successfully for around 100,000 years

230 odd years ago, white fellas landed, declared the joint vacant,

stole their land, hunted, shot, raped, poisoned, enslaved them.

brutal, sadistic massacres. child stealing, sickness. poor pay. segregation. imprisonment. alcoholism. diabetes. suicide.

Deficit Theory and Social Darwinism has been disproven, discredited and disgraced.

and that's really all the racists, both closeted and open, as well as the ill-informed who inadvertently perpetuate racism through these ideas, have to hang their hat on.

so,

there is no debate. this thread is racist in itself.

Its like an Essendon or a Collingwood fan site starting a

How Many Norm Smiths has Dustin Martin Won Debate thread.

*smile* joke

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users