Inspirational/Mindfulness Stuff and More | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Inspirational/Mindfulness Stuff and More

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Something a bit different. When I can’t get to sleep I listen to Richmond commentary from the AFL grand finals on YouTube. Some brilliant person has uploaded them. I particularly like the 2017 call from the SA guys. Rowe in particular is bias which makes it more enjoyable. And the 2020 radio call SEN hearing both Gerard and Huddo commentary from half time onwards. It makes me relaxed and puts me in a happy place.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Something a bit different. When I can’t get to sleep I listen to Richmond commentary from the AFL grand finals on YouTube. Some brilliant person has uploaded them. I particularly like the 2017 call from the SA guys. Rowe in particular is bias which makes it more enjoyable. And the 2020 radio call SEN hearing both Gerard and Huddo commentary from half time onwards. It makes me relaxed and puts me in a happy place.

Mate if I tried that I would get fired up like the wired up road runner coyote bouncing of the walls and then would wake everyone up in the house singing the bloody song.

Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Mate if I tried that I would get fired up like the wired up road runner coyote bouncing of the walls and then would wake everyone up in the house singing the bloody song.
It makes me a proud contented man. But I see your point.

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It makes me a proud contented man. But I see your point.

its rare I can't sleep, but when I do, I do a version of counting sheep,

and its always around Richmond.

I pick a best of premiership side, or line the players up tallest to smallest, devise a revolutionary game plan, stuff like that.

like you say, I go to sleep content.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

I pick a best of premiership side, or line the players up tallest to smallest, devise a revolutionary game plan, stuff like that.

Similar, although I close my eyes and visualise that I am watching Freo Vs Gold Coast at Metricon and it puts me in to a coma.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

Please don’t share how you wake up then. This is next level.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No idea who Ryan Holiday is, but have seen stoicism in males linked to "toxic masculinity". Definitely perceived as a negative in some quarters.

Rookie mistake.

There is Stoicism - the school of thought and philosophy - and there is "to be stoic" in common English, which means to be strong, to suppress emotions, don't show weakness etc. Of course the everyday meaning comes from the original, but has changed and become oversimplified over time.

"Stoic" men who act tough, don't show emotion, are scared of showing weakness, could also exhibit toxic masculinity.

Stoicism as a philosophy doesn't say "don't have emotions or don't show emotions or suppress your emotions", it says "don't let your emotions control your life". Stoicism says that as part of the human condition we suffer, we struggle, we will die, so instead of worrying about things we can't control, focus on what we can control. Appreciate our short lives and the people we love and work towards justice and virtue even if people treat you badly or say bad things about you.

It shares some concepts and commonalities with Buddhism and the eastern religions although it's more rational than spiritual.

There is also the phenomenon of idiots treating Stoicism as a life hack to more successfully exploit people - sometimes called "tech brah stoicism" - but this is not Stoicism either.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Rookie mistake.

There is Stoicism - the school of thought and philosophy - and there is "to be stoic" in common English, which means to be strong, to suppress emotions, don't show weakness etc. Of course the everyday meaning comes from the original, but has changed and become oversimplified over time.

"Stoic" men who act tough, don't show emotion, are scared of showing weakness, could also exhibit toxic masculinity.

Stoicism as a philosophy doesn't say "don't have emotions or don't show emotions or suppress your emotions", it says "don't let your emotions control your life". Stoicism says that as part of the human condition we suffer, we struggle, we will die, so instead of worrying about things we can't control, focus on what we can control. Appreciate our short lives and the people we love and work towards justice and virtue even if people treat you badly or say bad things about you.

It shares some concepts and commonalities with Buddhism and the eastern religions although it's more rational than spiritual.

There is also the phenomenon of idiots treating Stoicism as a life hack to more successfully exploit people - sometimes called "tech brah stoicism" - but this is not Stoicism either.
I see stoicism as an almost heroic virtue and most commonly a trait of men. Take it up with the feminists.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
And that proves you are labouring under the misapprehension as they are.
I see stoicism as e.g. you’re 9 down and need 150 to win in a game of cricket, you can’t win, you’ve been hit on the fingers and maybe broken one, but *smile* if you’re going to retire hurt and hand them the game. You keep batting and make them get you out. You know it’s all for nought but it’s the principle of the thing. You endure. You see it through to the end.

I don’t really care if that doesn’t fit whatever definition you subscribe to.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I see stoicism as e.g. you’re 9 down and need 150 to win in a game of cricket, you can’t win, you’ve been hit on the fingers and maybe broken one, but *smile* if you’re going to retire hurt and hand them the game. You keep batting and make them get you out. You know it’s all for nought but it’s the principle of the thing. You endure. You see it through to the end.

I don’t really care if that doesn’t fit whatever definition you subscribe to.

Sure, if you want you can make up whatever meaning you like for any word you like. Knock yourself out.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Well I though stoicism was the behaviours associated with being stoic and didn’t realise it was a philosophy that Christianity displaced.

there you go.

Some of those behaviours that you consider stoic did come from Stoicism. Stoicism as a philosophy still exists. It's not a religion and places emphasis on rationality and logic.

We owe the Ancient Greeks a lot.

There's definitely a lot of aspects of mindfulness that are similar to Stoicism - live in the moment, focus on the now and the near, value time more than other things.

By allowing Lee to come up with his own wacko, macho cricket-related definition of "stoicism", I'm demonstrating the Stoic virtues of Wisdom and Temperance. Wisdom to focus on what is important and not worry too much about what about people say or think. Temperance, in this context self-control - I can't change or affect what he chooses to think, so let him get on with it. There is an obligation on Stoics to educate and help, but at the end of the day if someone chooses not be helped, that's fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Some of those behaviours that you consider stoic did come from Stoicism. Stoicism as a philosophy still exists. It's not a religion and places emphasis on rationality and logic.

We owe the Ancient Greeks a lot.

There's definitely a lot of aspects of mindfulness that are similar to Stoicism - live in the moment, focus on the now and the near, value time more than other things.

By allowing Lee to come up with his own wacko, macho cricket-related definition of "stoicism", I'm demonstrating the Stoic virtues of Wisdom and Temperance. Wisdom to focus on what is important and not worry too much about what about people say or think. Temperance, in this context self-control - I can't change or affect what he chooses to think, so let him get on with it. There is an obligation on Stoics to educate and help, but at the end of the day if someone chooses not be helped, that's fine.
With no evidence I’d imagine Lee’s definition is what most people think. It fits in with the modern usage of the word stoic. I’d just call it semantics really. With that said I learnt something new.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I was talking about stoicism, you're talking Stoicism. But you'd be aware of that if you weren't so keen to shitcan everything I post.

Happy ancient-Greeking, and remember, only one catamite per household.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
With no evidence I’d imagine Lee’s definition is what most people think. It fits in with the modern usage of the word stoic. I’d just call it semantics really. With that said I learnt something new.

The first thing i said in my post was that there is a common usage of the word which differs from the philosophy. Since we were talking about mindfulness and Ryan Holiday (the Stoic) it was pretty clear which kind of Stoicism applies in this case.

I gave Lee an honest response to his point about toxic masculinity, which he then turned into a rant about cricket and being tough and how men are stoic and its a Heroic Virtue of men.

The last point in particular is BS. Women can be and are Stoics, and they are also stoic in the common sense of the word if you insist on that.

Anyway, if you are interested in Stoicism, I can post some links later.

Last edited: