Interesting - H/Sun 2/9/03 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Interesting - H/Sun 2/9/03

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I have just had a browse of today's HS. I have searched their web-site for the actual article but it isn't there but...

I note with interest that Peter Rohde has said that the Bullies are likely to take Cooney with their number 1 draft pick.

And that they are highly unlikely to trade way their 2nd pick being overall pick number 4. He said that it would need to be a very good offer for the Bullies to even entertain the idea.

It will interesting to see what happens.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Found it ! Have only copied things that maybe relevant to the Tigers

Tougher Rohde rules for Dogs
02 September 2003 Herald Sun
By MARK STEVENS

Out-of-contract star Nathan Brown will be on the five-day trip, but negotiations between the club and his manager Jim Pana are expected to intensify this week.
"I'll be working on it while he's gone and talking to the club from this week on," Pana said last night.

The Dogs have several weeks to ponder their delistings. The first list lodgement is not due until October 31.

West Adelaide midfielder Adam Cooney will almost certainly be taken with the Dogs' No. 1 pick in the national draft.

And Rohde has made it clear the club's second pick, No. 4, is also off-limits for a trade.

"You never say never, but we think it's irresponsible to trade those (high picks) away," Rohde said. "We don't believe you're going to get future champions by trading. I think a responsibility all coaches should take is to use those picks and get the best available talent."

But the Bulldogs will go for key position experience with their first pick in the December 16 pre-season draft for uncontracted players.

"All the talk is that a lot of clubs are under pressure salary cap-wise," Rohde said.

"We'll try and get around to find out what's going on.

"I've got a feeling we're going to have to wait until fairly late in the process to know what's going to shake through."

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
The Doggies would have to say that to let clubs know there's no point knocking on the door unless the baskets full.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
RFC not KFC said:
The Doggies would have to say that to let clubs know there's no point knocking on the door unless the baskets full.

So what do you think we'd have to give for pick number 4 ??? If it is available of course

I would reckon the price has just gone up. So I would now offer Hall, Bowden, Hilton and our 3rd round pick

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
We don't have a third round pick to give up. That's now Tom Roach. Who I hope is at least half the player his dad was. He does impress as being articulate, and having his head screwed on though.

Back to the subject, would the Bulldogs want Hall, Hilton & Bowden? They hardly equate to a "Full Basket".

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I can't see us having any value to offer for the Dogs #4 pick. Any players who'd interest them are too valuable to us to use on a pick we might stuff up anyway.

I suspect if we trade with the Dogs it will be players. There's a lot of talk about Brown coming to Tigerland. As I've said before after hearing Greg Miller discussing Joel in a pre game interview a few weeks ago I have no doubts that he's been marked as a trade priority.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Miller also said we had a couple of players who he thought were treading water and Richmond, and would be better served moving to another club to try and improve their football, got the feeling he was describing Joel.

He had huge wraps on Brown, and a deal involving Brown and Bowden could very well be on the cards.

As for offering Bowden, Hall, Hilton and a pick for pick 4, I just dont see how that can improve our list.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
bigwow said:
We don't have a third round pick to give up. That's now Tom Roach. Who I hope is at least half the player his dad was. He does impress as being articulate, and having his head screwed on though.

Back to the subject, would the Bulldogs want Hall, Hilton & Bowden? They hardly equate to a "Full Basket".

Oops sorry I forgot about Tommy - make that our 4th round unless of course we pick up someone elses 3rd round pick.

And yes I reckon the "short" Bullies would be very interested in Ray Hall

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
shawry said:
Lil you cant be serious giving up all those players PLUs a third round pick for a single draft pick surely?????????

Yes I am Shawry. If it means we can then on trade our pick 6 for a quality mid-fielded like Stevens or Power and with pick 4 we get one of the quality kids in the draft - it is worth it I reckon

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Lill, I asked this yesterday and got no response, don't know if you can answer, what are the clubs thoughts/intentions regarding Shir & Moore, will they promote both or either, or retain as rookies for another year? I am lead to believe that Shir is a handy mid field type.
RFC's track record in this department borders on abysmal.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
bigwow said:
Lill, I asked this yesterday and got no response, don't know if you can answer, what are the clubs thoughts/intentions regarding Shir & Moore, will they promote both or either, or retain as rookies for another year? I am lead to believe that Shir is a handy mid field type.
RFC's track record in this department borders on abysmal.

I have absolutely no idea bigwow.

Personally, I think Moore is worth a punt. Great skills, relatively tall but certainly needs to bulk up. They said when hte put him on the rookie list that he was a long temr project - he didn't play TAC Cup just school footy.

As for Matt Shir - my thoughts on him are well documented. When I look at our list and I see a "King" I cannot for the life of me understand how Matt Shir cannot, not be on our list. He is a good build, good skills (he can kick for one), very good tackler and runs the line well.

If the Club is looking at taking players 21-22 with late draft picks then I would say promote Matt (he is 21 this month) and give him a opportunity. Doesn't he fit in the mould of player they say we need?