Is PC a euphemism for 'nice?' | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is PC a euphemism for 'nice?'

E

easy_tiger

so this thread got some traction? got a little bit worried when it veered onto invisible spears, but it politically corrected itself.

as I read through, a couple of things entered my head.

1. Hard to believe such a potent number cruncher as L2R2R had to dumster dive and deliver pizzas. Just goes to show you, life is a game of inches. Im sure theres stats to support that. My other brother has a brain as big as a planet and is a pretty accomplished dumpster diver. Not sure the rags to riches, or just rags, relates to PC though? Poor bastard, as non PC as it sounds, we would all agree is an empathetic declaration of support for most ill-fortune.

2. Willo provided a wonderful example of how, a p!ssed 2nd year engineering student can slur something at Fridays at 3 am, and next thing hes a nobel laureette on the internet. I urge caution. always.

3. I like the sophistication of Coburg's dialogue on this (and on liam mcbean too I think?), so im gonna hitch my intellectual wagon to his, and remove myself once again from RRP. :afro

e,t

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Is it PC incorrect to tell someone you don't know they have BO? Or someone on the train to stop picking his nose. Is it anti PC to look at a beautiful woman. Are words only anti PC or are actions? We need a handbook.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Harry said:
1. Is it PC incorrect to tell someone you don't know they have BO? 2. Or someone on the train to stop picking his nose. 3. Is it anti PC to look at a beautiful woman. 4. Are words only anti PC or are actions? We need a handbook.

1. a) Depends how big they are
b) Depends if you go "whoa a geez you pong" or just mention what brand of deodorant you use and how effective it is

2. a) Depends how big they are
b) Mention "have you picked any winners out of that bunch" or just pass them a tissue

3. Certainly not. That's why God/genetics made them that way.

4. Depends who is reading or watching. If the answer is no one just go for it.

I can give you a copy of my handbook Harry. But it's easier to make it up as you go along. Just remember to be kind to one another or run fast or have a thick skin. If any of that fails you can always fall back on the "it was only meant as a joke" defence

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Thanks for the advice. On point 3 does it matter where you are looking? Also I can't run that fast these days.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Harry said:
Thanks for the advice. On point 3 does it matter where you are looking? Also I can't run that fast these days.

Get yourself a pair of mirrored sunglasses mate. ;D
If you can't run fast carry a set of spectacles and make out you can't see far, just give them a polish whilst you're looking in the right direction. ;)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Kingswood Country would be making headlines every week.

Though in saying that, the US tv show 2 Broke Girls is full of un-PC gags. it's a great show.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Harry said:
Does being PC mean you can't enjoy the benny hill show?

If you still find the Benny Hill show amusing you've got bigger problems than political correctness Harry!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
antman said:
If you still find the Benny Hill show amusing you've got bigger problems than political correctness Harry!
I love Benny but I watched an old episode a few months back and it just wasn't funny. Nothing to do with PC it just wasn't funny. Maybe as a kid when I watched it I saw it as funny. Maybe I just picked a bad episode to rewatch.

Anyway, I think I'll just keep the memory from now on.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigertim said:
I love Benny but I watched an old episode a few months back and it just wasn't funny. Nothing to do with PC it just wasn't funny. Maybe as a kid when I watched it I saw it as funny. Maybe I just picked a bad episode to rewatch.

Anyway, I think I'll just keep the memory from now on.

I find that with a lot of older shows that I remember fondly - always a disappointment to watch again. Even The Young Ones had dated pretty badly, but still had some good moments...

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
antman said:

Benny Hill show = champagne comedy

images

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
What PC ultimately leads to:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-01/police-called-elementary-school-after-3rd-grader-makes-racist-comment-about-brownie

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Giardiasis said:
What PC ultimately leads to:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-01/police-called-elementary-school-after-3rd-grader-makes-racist-comment-about-brownie

Except that it never happened.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/30/collingswood-racist-brownie/

By the way, the fictitious story originated in the National Inquirer - I'm sure you know that makes you an absolute spud for believing it.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Baloo said:
Kingswood Country would be making headlines every week.

Though in saying that, the US tv show 2 Broke Girls is full of un-PC gags. it's a great show.

Probably the single most offensive thing I have every read on this forum is 'two broke girls is a great show'.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
antman said:
Except that it never happened.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/30/collingswood-racist-brownie/

By the way, the fictitious story originated in the National Inquirer - I'm sure you know that makes you an absolute spud for believing it.
Where did I say it happened? I said it's what it ultimately leads too.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Giardiasis said:
Where did I say it happened? I said it's what it ultimately leads too.

So your intention was to say that it leads to *smile* scaremongering articles in the National Inquirer? Sure........

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Coburgtiger said:
Probably the single most offensive thing I have every read on this forum is 'two broke girls is a great show'.

What have you got against women, the poor and Americans?