Isolation effects arrived? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Isolation effects arrived?

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
I note that we are now getting some really poor games very regularly.
Watching the Cats v Dogs game last night it was very clear that the standards DURING the game changed much more than regularly occurs.
This caused me to look back on a few games recently and wonder what was the cause.

During the Cats v Dogs game, the dogs were very good and focused in the first quarter while the Cats were very lazy and sloppy and after that the dogs were suddenly lazy and sloppy while the cats improved, or rather were allowed to improve.

It seemed that there were some clear indications of a poor mental application. The ball handling in close was very fumbly. Handballs missed by metres. An occasional kick went metres off course (note Danger's kick out of bounds). Players let their man remain clear by ten metres (particularly the dogs allowed their man to pick off twenty metre kicks), the positioning of and delivery to the forwards was very dis-organised. There were lots of other unusual things. These were all isolated incidents but as a whole to me they were glaring.

In the Hawks v Dons match it was a similar story. Hawthorn broke the game open early and surged to a big lead only to be run down after both teams totally changed character after half time.

In our game we bought the heat all game and won over an Eagles team that showed very little fight all game. Of course that attitude of the Eagles is out of whack with the hub existence since they have only just moved to Queensland.

It looks like a concentration issue and I believe it is due to the effects of being in isolation for so long. It is hard to maintain concentration when in a mundane environment day after day.
I really think we need to get out in front of the effects of isolation and am pleased to note from the Grimes footage that we have Emma Murray in the hub.

Perhaps we can do something to break the boredom of hub life by a change during the bye week like a tropical feast with fire dancers. Whatever's allowed.
I would also think hard about sending Balme up with Edwards but the quarantine is a problem. Sorta defeats the purpose but there are four weeks plus finals to come..
Perhaps we can do something like on Survivor with a public video of a letters from home segment, maybe with a video of members sanding their best wishes, since the players already have contact over their phones with their immediate families.

Anything to break the bubble they' re in at the moment.
Suggestions?

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Quite the opposite for me, I've actually been enjoying the footy for the last month.
Maybe it's because the players are moving the ball on quicker due to the tightening of the holding the ball rule but games seem faster & more open. The errors don't worry me so much.

Or it could be that the Tiges are just starting to really hit their straps too.:))

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Quite the opposite for me, I've actually been enjoying the footy for the last month.
Maybe it's because the players are moving the ball on quicker due to the tightening of the holding the ball rule but games seem faster & more open. The errors don't worry me so much.

Or it could be that the Tiges are just starting to really hit their straps too.:))

Definitely! We are less-error prone than we were immediately post the iso break - that was driving me nuts. I imagine there are still more errors generally across other teams than in normal seasons, but either that's improved a bit or I've just got used to it.

It is noticeable that teams can't sustain effort/discipline across a whole game, even with shorter quarters - eg Dogs/Cats last night.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I note that we are now getting some really poor games very regularly.
Watching the Cats v Dogs game last night it was very clear that the standards DURING the game changed much more than regularly occurs.
This caused me to look back on a few games recently and wonder what was the cause.

During the Cats v Dogs game, the dogs were very good and focused in the first quarter while the Cats were very lazy and sloppy and after that the dogs were suddenly lazy and sloppy while the cats improved, or rather were allowed to improve.

It seemed that there were some clear indications of a poor mental application. The ball handling in close was very fumbly. Handballs missed by metres. An occasional kick went metres off course (note Danger's kick out of bounds). Players let their man remain clear by ten metres (particularly the dogs allowed their man to pick off twenty metre kicks), the positioning of and delivery to the forwards was very dis-organised. There were lots of other unusual things. These were all isolated incidents but as a whole to me they were glaring.

In the Hawks v Dons match it was a similar story. Hawthorn broke the game open early and surged to a big lead only to be run down after both teams totally changed character after half time.

In our game we bought the heat all game and won over an Eagles team that showed very little fight all game. Of course that attitude of the Eagles is out of whack with the hub existence since they have only just moved to Queensland.

It looks like a concentration issue and I believe it is due to the effects of being in isolation for so long. It is hard to maintain concentration when in a mundane environment day after day.
I really think we need to get out in front of the effects of isolation and am pleased to note from the Grimes footage that we have Emma Murray in the hub.

Perhaps we can do something to break the boredom of hub life by a change during the bye week like a tropical feast with fire dancers. Whatever's allowed.
I would also think hard about sending Balme up with Edwards but the quarantine is a problem. Sorta defeats the purpose but there are four weeks plus finals to come..
Perhaps we can do something like on Survivor with a public video of a letters from home segment, maybe with a video of members sanding their best wishes, since the players already have contact over their phones with their immediate families.

Anything to break the bubble they' re in at the moment.
Suggestions?

Think you may get that more with games from here on.

Clubs putting the cue away.

WC just came into the hub. Flight from WA.

Cats were off in the first but woke up after a spray. Dogs lost their run down two rotations.

They will be up for the fight with us when we meet from the start.

Mental fatigue is going to be an issue with sides top of the ladder ( finals bound ) vs sides ( fighting ) vs sides ( with no hope ) for the rest of the H & A.

Dimma is ‘ King ‘ with motivation & themes.

Some games are just ‘ crap ‘. Even we have played a few this year. A lot has to do with opposition tactics as much as us.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Many of Dangerfield‘s kicks go metres off target. I would not read anything into that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Definitely! We are less-error prone than we were immediately post the iso break - that was driving me nuts. I imagine there are still more errors generally across other teams than in normal seasons, but either that's improved a bit or I've just got used to it.

It is noticeable that teams can't sustain effort/discipline across a whole game, even with shorter quarters - eg Dogs/Cats last night.
Keeping the pressure up for longer than our oppo that’s been our 1 wood. We’re starting to figure out the shorter game time and going bang in the 3rd to break it open.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

I agree, I feel like we are seeing better quality games overall. Many games seem to start off with a struggle and low goals and then they open up as players tire further into the game. The change back of the holding the ball rule has helped I think. Before that it was just such a lottery, seems far more predictable now.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I wonder about the impact of shorter breaks and less training between games. I have heard Dimma mention it couple of times. Might make it harder to get systems in place. If that is the case then we would be ok since our system hasn't changed radically for the last couple of years.

Gotta keep that manic pressure going all game, that is how we can win.

DS