Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Yep no need to lockdown on a player when you’ve got the ball yourself .

In saying that EFE brings up a good point that we don’t have a lockdown type , doubt we are about to either as Dimma dosent seem to use that type in the midfield rotations , personally I wouldn’t mind having a D Kellaway ( very good hand baller) type just in case
Marlion is the only one who comes close at the moment.
Maybe George who has the pace and strength could grow into this role?

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Yet Grundy will destroy the fabric of the team apparently.
Bullus I can see this Grundy pick up working well.
Gawn sort of but not by much can float forward and take a mark.
I would play Grundy in the midfield as an extra midfielder.
That way you can play both on the field.
They could alternate forward or as a spare down back.
Petracca can alternate with Grundy at times forward.
Grundy has a big tank .

I think the more you can have Gawn & Grundy on the ground the better that makes Melbourne.

At one stage both these players were ranked 1 & 2 in the same year.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Marlion is the only one who comes close at the moment.
Maybe George who has the pace and strength could grow into this role?
Marlion next year has to be part of our midfield so over summer we have a look at who can fill in our winger roles. KMac is not getting younger either.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bullus I can see this Grundy pick up working well.
Gawn sort of but not by much can float forward and take a mark.
I would play Grundy in the midfield as an extra midfielder.
That way you can play both on the field.
They could alternate forward or as a spare down back.
Petracca can alternate with Grundy at times forward.
Grundy has a big tank .

I think the more you can have Gawn & Grundy on the ground the better that makes Melbourne.

At one stage both these players were ranked 1 & 2 in the same year.
Bang on, one of the more sensible posts I've read all year. Paying top dollar for inside mids is exusable once but twice reeks of list mismanagement. I would be ok with Taranto or Hopper but both is like wow wipeout from a list management perspective, this is the biggest example of selling the farm I've witnessed since the Beck years.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The biggest concern I now have with Ryan is that Leysy is pumping him up bearing in mind his last two great hopes were Meyer and Collins.
Don't forget about he of the wide arse - McJesus

• Haha

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Could be the case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.
If Nank goes down we don't have a ruckman,
There goes the season.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Could be the case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.
If Nank goes down we don't have a ruckman,
There goes the season.
Yep, high stakes game we're playing but PRE thinks shoring up the ruck division with an A lister is a fool's game. Contingency planning rank in this instance, you don't just solve this problem with an untried state league guy either, this is just policy on the run.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Marlion next year has to be part of our midfield so over summer we have a look at who can fill in our winger roles. KMac is not getting younger either.
Yeah, I'd love to see Marlion on ball but with Hopper and Taranto coming along side Trent, Dusty, Ross I can't see it happening.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Yep, high stakes game we're playing but PRE thinks shoring up the ruck division with an A lister is a fool's game. Contingency planning rank in this instance, you don't just solve this problem with an untried state league guy either, this is just policy on the run.
But can we afford an A grade ruckman?

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Yeah, I'd love to see Marlion on ball but with Hopper and Taranto coming along side Trent, Dusty, Ross I can't see it happening.
As another option.

If Graham isn’t available or a midfielder is getting off the chain , Ala Neale in the EF , you send Marlion and not sacrifice one of your starting midfielders.

He terrifies players. They hear footsteps. He can hurt the other way too.!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Could still pick up a back up ruck in the preseason or mid season rookie draft.

At least we would have Hopper, Tarranto, Prestia, Shai, Dusty, Cotch, Sonz to shark the clearances from other ruckmen. Didn't Nank win the hitouts 41 to McInerney 10 in the Elimination Final and Lachie Neale still had 40 posessions.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
At least we would have Hopper, Tarranto, Prestia, Shai, Dusty, Cotch, Sonz to shark the clearances from other ruckmen. Didn't Nank win the hitouts 41 to McInerney 10 in the Elimination Final and Lachie Neale still had 40 posessions.

Neale ended up on the receiving end of a heap of Nank's hitouts

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
But can we afford an A grade ruckman?
Yes, absolutely, but you have to spread the draft capital evenly & attempt to cover as many holes with the resources available. From where I'm standing we're chasing tail now, Nank goes down & the new additions probably have a reduced impact. Our ruck division looks sickly, it could have looked bullet proof & it's drawing a long bow to suggest Melbourne are taking on a superfluous spare part. The fact that the gravy from these deals would have gotten the reinforcements needed makes the whole draft haul looked skewed & somewhat desperate. GWS have done it again & now just watch them squirm as they try to ease their salary cap issues. Richmond have been running around like headless chooks when it is GWS who should be doing the heavy lifting.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Which is the very reason you get a seasoned ruck who has been one of the best finals performers over the past 5 years.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Bang on, one of the more sensible posts I've read all year. Paying top dollar for inside mids is exusable once but twice reeks of list mismanagement. I would be ok with Taranto or Hopper but both is like wow wipeout from a list management perspective, this is the biggest example of selling the farm I've witnessed since the Beck years.
disagree, if we don't fix our clearance and around the ground stoppages, we only make the finals but not progress. currently, our players list is strong and very even across the board, but we will be even better with both Taranto and Hopper. The junior players will develop this and next year, future drafts focusing on short term and long term needs. Our premiership window is open from 2023 to 2025,