Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
If your best example is a bloke who has played 5 games, had 13 hit outs in total & is 193cm then we are in trouble.

fRM0Nyr.jpg

Harry Boyd the best SANFL player but at 198cm he will be undersized & probably out of his depth.
Are Strachan & Redden from super rules teams ;)

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Max Nobel still have growth in him ?
listed as 204cm and late june birthday could he get to 207/208 maybe ?
I think he's already had his major growth spurt but 204cm is perfectly acceptable, he'd be one I'd happily take on however, perfect late pick.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If your best example is a bloke who has played 5 games, had 13 hit outs in total & is 193cm then we are in trouble.

fRM0Nyr.jpg

Harry Boyd the best SANFL player but at 198cm he will be undersized & probably out of his depth.
Just as an aside, Mitch Harvey is one the smoothest moving big men I’ve seen.

But he’s about 20kgs overweight!

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

fRM0Nyr.jpg

Lol, Bully you are great at avoiding questions or selective answering.

Backup rucks are dime a dozen. Lot easier to find then mids.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Lol, Bully you are great at avoiding questions or selective answering.

Backup rucks are dime a dozen. Lot easier to find then mids.
If you're talking part time rucks like Hayes then you might have a point, I'm talking about players who can cover for Nank in the event he misses chunks. Not sure I would be that confident fielding a 193cm player versus the likes of Gawn & Grundy, it seems like a cruel experiment to me.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If you're talking part time rucks like Hayes then you might have a point, I'm talking about players who can cover for Nank in the event he misses chunks. Not sure I would be that confident fielding a 193cm player versus the likes of Gawn & Grundy, it seems like a cruel experiment to me.
You are talking of Soldo as a big loss and the only option. Ryan is at the age where he can get exposed. And Hayes was an example of a tall pulled out of the state league. You’ve talked up state leagues for years as a goldmine but now your talking it down to enhance your Grundy/Mitchell play. Cake and eating strategy.

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
What surprises me the most is that Soldo's name has been up in lights now for 2-3 weeks as the player most likely to be traded out of Richmond and used as he steak knives - BUT

No other team has shown interest or tried to get him on the cheap , I would have thought Carlton , St kilda , Hawks or even Port may have shown interest.

Looks like not many teams rated him

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
You are talking of Soldo as a big loss and the only option. Ryan is at the age where he can get exposed. And Hayes was an example of a tall pulled out of the state league. You’ve talked up state leagues for years as a goldmine but now your talking it down to enhance your Grundy/Mitchell play. Cake and eating strategy.
I don't ever recall advocating the state leagues for plug & play rucks, the only time it may have ever come up was during the Sandilands/Cox era but beyond that I have no idea what you're talking about I think it speaks volumes that guys like Hickey, Cameron & Pittonet have been in the system for eons, it's the reason Goldy still gets phone calls and the reason Ryder & McEvoy get games well into their 30's. The well is running dry for quality rucks, there's been a generational void with only English & Darcy looking like the real deal. I think it's mighty presumptious to think you can just pluck a bloke out of a second tier comp & have him compete against the best in the competition.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
What surprises me the most is that Soldo's name has been up in lights now for 2-3 weeks as the player most likely to be traded out of Richmond and used as he steak knives - BUT

No other team has shown interest or tried to get him on the cheap , I would have thought Carlton , St kilda , Hawks or even Port may have shown interest.

Looks like not many teams rated him
Post injury Soldo looks slightly less appealing I would imagine.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
How are people here so willing to say Grundy is not the player he once was, to say injuries have curtailed him, or that his value is lessened, but throw such a blind eye over Nankervis?

We need an option other than Nank. He is a warrior, 3 time premiership ruckman, but that's come with a toll. His output has decreased month on month since his third premiership (two of which he basically rucked solo - sorry Grigga), and with every accumulated injury.

Three years ago I would have fought anyone on the premise that Nank should be recognised as one of the premier rucks of the competition. But time has slowed him, and injuries weakened him. He is young for a veteran, but only on paper.

That final was an atrocity, playing without a recognised opponent. I've heard people here point the finger at our midfield, but when you have a Midfielder from each team open, and you tap it to the one wearing the Brisbane jumper, there's not much your team mates can do. Additionally, our midfield doesn't explain his growing inability to take marks around the ground, kick a goal, or even keep a handle on his direct opponent.

It can happen to rucks who get flogged. It happened to Maric (a very similar type to Nank). Grundy has fallen from heights Nankervis never reached. I would be extremely nervous going into 2023 with just Nank on the books. As much as I like Ryan and Miller, I'm not sure they're number 1 rucks next year.

Reactions: 7 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
How are people here so willing to say Grundy is not the player he once was, to say injuries have curtailed him, or that his value is lessened, but throw such a blind eye over Nankervis?

We need an option other than Nank. He is a warrior, 3 time premiership ruckman, but that's come with a toll. His output has decreased month on month since his third premiership (two of which he basically rucked solo - sorry Grigga), and with every accumulated injury.

Three years ago I would have fought anyone on the premise that Nank should be recognised as one of the premier rucks of the competition. But time has slowed him, and injuries weakened him. He is young for a veteran, but only on paper.

That final was an atrocity, playing without a recognised opponent. I've heard people here point the finger at our midfield, but when you have a Midfielder from each team open, and you tap it to the one wearing the Brisbane jumper, there's not much your team mates can do. Additionally, our midfield doesn't explain his growing inability to take marks around the ground, kick a goal, or even keep a handle on his direct opponent.

It can happen to rucks who get flogged. It happened to Maric (a very similar type to Nank). Grundy has fallen from heights Nankervis never reached. I would be extremely nervous going into 2023 with just Nank on the books. As much as I like Ryan and Miller, I'm not sure they're number 1 rucks next year.
Agree, Nakas isn't a tap ruckman and getting rid of Soldo will ne a mistake. Makes us stronger in one hand and destroy us in the other.
Ralphsmith is the one I would rather trade out. I hope Hardwick and Hartley are in hid ear that his opportunities with us will be lessen next year, it's best you look for opportunities elsewhere .
Trade him to Stkilda for a 2nd rounder and then hand it over to GWS.
Future 1st, picks 31 & 28

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Hun saying Ivan had a medical with the Giants .

If he was open to a medical then he's obviously agreed to go there barring a fail on the medical.

Not sure about Soldo going seeing that his tap to advantage is his big strength which seems counterproductive considering that we have beefed up our midfield brigade. Soldo would have worked perfectly with Taranto and Hopper.

Anyhoo, hopefully his replacement is just as good if not better.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Post injury Soldo looks slightly less appealing I would imagine.
Short sighted.
Every half whit who’s spent 5 minutes in football knows that a big man takes a season to get over a car crash impact type knee injury.
Be prepared to be bitten over this player trade

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Soldo goes priority is a ruckman or we're in trouble someone that can play straight away from the wafl , sanfl or another club insurance for Nank can't rely just yet on Ryan or Colina. Soldo was good against the tall ruckman we're Nank struggled.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Short sighted.
Every half whit who’s spent 5 minutes in football knows that a big man takes a season to get over a car crash impact type knee injury.
Be prepared to be bitten over this player trade
I would have his value at a second rounder, I think he's one of those guys who could easily return to his premiership form, he shouldered a lot of load when Nank was missing, I think there's a good example of the benefits in having a strong second ruckman. Replacing him also not so easy, Meek already being snapped up so it's now down to the state leagues one would think.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I would have his value at a second rounder, I think he's one of those guys who could easily return to his premiership form, he shouldered a lot of load when Nank was missing, I think there's a good example of the benefits in having a strong second ruckman. Replacing him also not so easy, Meek already being snapped up so it's now down to the state leagues one would think.
Agreed however I would only trade him for an early second rounder.
We’ve done the hard yards. He’s mature, seasoned and has a Premiership medallion. And he gives our developing midfielders first use in the magoos which enables them to display their wares.
Ryan and Colina then able to develop their forward craft switching to on ball for short bursts to build their stamina.
I’m still bamboozled about this trade.
I would give him another 2 years before any other player is ready to be a like for like replacement to Nanks should he go down with injury .

Reactions: 1 users