Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Keeping this bloke as well as getting Taranto and Hopper is a great F* result for the RFC.

Ivvy will be a much better performer next season with another full pre season back into that knee and some confidence.

If Soldo gets back to 19/20 output with Taranto and Hopper, Dion, and Sonz, the Tiger King, Skippa Chimp, and Shai spending more time in the middle thats pretty imposing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Keeping this bloke as well as getting Taranto and Hopper is a great F* result for the RFC.

Ivvy will be a much better performer next season with another full pre season back into that knee and some confidence.

If Soldo gets back to 19/20 output with Taranto and Hopper and Sonz, the Tiger King, Skippa Chimp, and Shai spending more time in the middle thats pretty imposing.
and don't forget Moooozzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!:))

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Good result for the Tigers. Wonder what the Soldo sticking point was. GWS have 3 rucks so wasn't guaranteed the game time? His medical was a bit dodgy?

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Soldo’s improvement next year with the addition of T+H will be exponential. We’ll have two first grade rucks in the same team. So glad you’re staying big fella.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Good to see that Soldo wants to stay at Tigerland and Tigerland want him. Next season he will be that much fitter and have more confidence in his knee so expecting big improvements from him. Solves the concern of having limited ruck stocks

Reactions: 3 users

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Great the big fella is staying. Hugely popular amongst the playing group from all accounts and yes a fan favorite with persona

Reactions: 5 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The importance of Ivan Soldo

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
20 May 2022

Since Ivan Soldo's development from a Category B basketball-playing rookie to a genuine AFL ruckman, Richmond has played around with its ruck line-up.

Given that Soldo wasn't a regular member of the side until 2019, it's not fair to couple him with the above players, as his non-selection in the first two years of the dynasty was mostly due to form/team structure, rather than injury.

Saying that, his importance in the past three and a half years has been notable.

RICHMOND'S WIN/LOSS WITH IVAN SOLDO IN AND OUT

SOLDO DIFF GMS IN (W-L-D) Win% GMS OUT (W-L-D) Win%

2017-2022 9.5% 42 (31-10-1) 73.8% 84 (54-29-1) 64.3%

2019-2022 25.3% 34 (26-7-1) 76.5% 43 (22-20-1) 51.2%

When Soldo has been in the team since 2019, the Tigers have a 76.5 per cent winning ration. When he's out, they've won just 51.2 per cent of their games – a differential of 25.3 per cent, better even that his pivotal teammate Lambert.

The moustachioed ruck missed the entirety of 2021 due to a knee reconstruction, but was a key contributor to the 2019 and 2020 flag campaigns.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/763203/who-s-the-next-most-valuable-tiger-after-dusty-
Bump

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
The importance of Ivan Soldo

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
20 May 2022

Since Ivan Soldo's development from a Category B basketball-playing rookie to a genuine AFL ruckman, Richmond has played around with its ruck line-up.

Given that Soldo wasn't a regular member of the side until 2019, it's not fair to couple him with the above players, as his non-selection in the first two years of the dynasty was mostly due to form/team structure, rather than injury.

Saying that, his importance in the past three and a half years has been notable.

RICHMOND'S WIN/LOSS WITH IVAN SOLDO IN AND OUT

SOLDO DIFF GMS IN (W-L-D) Win% GMS OUT (W-L-D) Win%

2017-2022 9.5% 42 (31-10-1) 73.8% 84 (54-29-1) 64.3%

2019-2022 25.3% 34 (26-7-1) 76.5% 43 (22-20-1) 51.2%

When Soldo has been in the team since 2019, the Tigers have a 76.5 per cent winning ration. When he's out, they've won just 51.2 per cent of their games – a differential of 25.3 per cent, better even that his pivotal teammate Lambert.

The moustachioed ruck missed the entirety of 2021 due to a knee reconstruction, but was a key contributor to the 2019 and 2020 flag campaigns.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/763203/who-s-the-next-most-valuable-tiger-after-dusty-
25% is probably what we needed this year to get higher up the ladder.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The other aspect of this which worried me is that Ivan is related to Ivan Maric and Noah Balta. There are family connections within the club and I wouldn't have wanted to see Ivan Soldo traded out potentially breaking that link. I know this is a professional industry and like any other professional sport trading can be brutal, but I still didn't like that prospect.

DS

Reactions: 10 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Reckon Eeevan ended up deciding that he really didn't want to leave the Tigers. That simple really.

Reactions: 1 users

Brian H

Tiger Cub
Jul 26, 2013
The other aspect of this which worried me is that Ivan is related to Ivan Maric and Noah Balta. There are family connections within the club and I wouldn't have wanted to see Ivan Soldo traded out potentially breaking that link. I know this is a professional industry and like any other professional sport trading can be brutal, but I still didn't like that prospect.

DS
Connections within a club are huge. The whale roberts departure from our club sent us back along time. Ivan appears much loved. I never wanted to lose him.

Reactions: 3 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011

DS
Dont forget Mate collina too

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Reckon when the Giants decided to get involved in O"Meara they were cool to not involve Ivan.

Cap too tight for both you would think.

Good to have the big fella stay on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Good result for the Tigers. Wonder what the Soldo sticking point was. GWS have 3 rucks so wasn't guaranteed the game time? His medical was a bit dodgy?
I would say Soldo would have said
I have 2 years remaining at Richmond on $400k , Make it 4 years at $500k or GTFO

Reactions: 2 users