Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

I thought he was quite good. I do think we could do with a better second ruck although the best would be a second ruck who can play forward or back when resting. Soldo does not look to be that person. But he rucked well, 34 hitouts I think. Very respectable game and we needed to give him a run as we head for the finals, just in case.

DS

Still improving, in saying that I don’t think he’d be allowed to handle the sharp objects at home , with our ruck situation I’d say his a lock to get another contract , doubt he’ll ever be anything more then a handy back up, however you have a back up to the back up ruck.

Has come a long way in a few short years, a fantastic achievement for someone who had never played a game in his life until he was 18 years old.

Mr Brightside said:
Still improving, in saying that I don’t think he’d be allowed to handle the sharp objects at home , with our ruck situation I’d say his a lock to get another contract , doubt he’ll ever be anything more then a handy back up, however you have a back up to the back up ruck.

With cousin iyvan at the club coaching I’d doubt he’s wahtbto go but don’t be surprised if he gets offers to move for more $ and better opportunity.

bigwow said:
His toe poke to Jack for his third goal showed some smarts.
Classic piece of work that one, had to look twice to confirm it was actually Soldo who got the little toe poke in.
Looks to be very much the old school lumberer does Soldo, got some leap n handy tap at the ruck contest. Still needs to learn a bit more of the physical side of body work around the ball when it hits the deck to help clear pathways for the little blokes. Sensible enough to dish off a hand pass to the little blokes when he's got a free or mark as his best option.

TigerMasochist said:
Looks to be very much the old school lumberer does Soldo, got some leap n handy tap at the ruck contest. Still needs to learn a bit more of the physical side of body work around the ball when it hits the deck to help clear pathways for the little blokes. Sensible enough to dish off a hand pass to the little blokes when he's got a free or mark as his best option.

As the great Harry Callahan said, 'A man's got to know his limitations' , it seems Ivan does.

Finally watched the match. If Nancy goes down then it's not as bleak as I thought. Would be interesting to redo ToOheys MVT poll now that we've had a look at Soldo.

What I learned from soldos game yesterday is how lucky we are that Nank is so durable. If Nank misses against a good side we would be in strife. Ivan handles the ball like it’s a piece of soap.

bigwow said:
As the great Harry Callahan said, 'A man's got to know his limitations' , it seems Ivan does.

Good assessment.

Lots of rucking positives but also some unexpected:

>Applied forward pressure to receive a free for a tackle inside 50.
>Gave away a chance to kick his first goal in AFL with a one metre handpass to a stationary Caddy (who kicked it).
>Twp metre toe poke in congestion to Riewoldt for a Riewoldt goal in goal square.

TigerMad said:
Good assessment.

Lots of rucking positives but also some unexpected:

>Applied forward pressure to receive a free for a tackle inside 50.
>Gave away a chance to kick his first goal in AFL with a one metre handpass to a stationary Caddy (who kicked it).
>Twp metre toe poke in congestion to Riewoldt for a Riewoldt goal in goal square.
He got 1 goal last yr ;)

Serviceable as a ruck, which highlights yet again how little actual impact the ruck role has on the modern game.

zippadeee said:
He was good in the ruck. I would try Nakas forward and play him as a pure ruckman.

I thought he was alright in the ruck too.Will only get better.

toby64 said:
What I learned from soldos game yesterday is how lucky we are that Nank is so durable. If Nank misses against a good side we would be in strife. Ivan handles the ball like it’s a piece of soap.
That was my view of it, too, although he was okay in the taps. However Hampson showed us of how little importance that is.

I think lumbering sounds apt , pity cholly got injured as I’d like to see how he’d have gone with a chance at afl . Just ok for a stand in , not sure of upside, reckon CCJ will be closing hard for that spot in the queue