Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

We need to get Nancy some relief. I'm scared we're going to shorten his career by a few years if we keep him a lone undersized ruckman all year round.

Giardiasis said:
Hoping he comes in to play the saints and give big Nank a rest.

If Nank does need a rest the Saints would be the perfect game to do it.

Baloo said:
We need to get Nancy some relief. I'm scared we're going to shorten his career by a few years if we keep him a lone undersized ruckman all year round.

I don't think he's under-sized, it appears some of the others are too tall and cumbersome and it affects their inside ability. We're 2nd last for hitouts compared to opposition yet we're on top of the ladder. Nankervis has competed against the best and/or tallest ones in the league in the last 4 Gawn, Grundy, Sandilands, Goldstein and come out very competitive. Interestingly looking at game time Nanks is playing around 83-84% pretty consistently which is no more than the others, in fact Gawn and Grundy played close to 90% game time in our games. So Nanks is not being over-worked in comparison. But yes if he does go down it will be trouble within that game.

It's the battering his body gets that's the issue, not how many touches he gets. As an undersized ruckman he's at a disadvantage physically but he doesn't shy away. We need to manage him.

The Great Ivan lost his mojo early for the same reason.

Baloo said:
It's the battering his body gets that's the issue, not how many touches he gets. As an undersized ruckman he's at a disadvantage physically but he doesn't shy away. We need to manage him.

Yeah I agree - give Soldo a couple of games this year, good for his development and gives Nanks a rest - reckon the two games against the Saints would be ones to target.

Baloo said:

I don't disagree, wil need chop out at certain times of the year. Weight wise he is the same as Grundy, Goldstein, Kruezer, Sam Jacobs, McEvoy types (all around the 102kg mark) but does get monstered by the Sandliands, Gawn, Natanui types. It's probably more his contested ferocity that may effect him more than some of those listed.

I reckon Soldo will be more than effective in the AFL this year, as long as he is not up against the top tier ruckman.

He is been the dominant ruckman in all VFL games bar last week against the dogs.

He is becoming far more imposing around the contest and throws his weight around. He is not Nank level but far better than the ineffective AFL ruckman he was last year.

Saints or Bombers are both options to rest Nank, and Nank will earn a few more rests before the finals.

Doomsday scenario is Nank plays all year then goes down in round 22. We would be complacent not to give Soldo a few games this year at AFL level before the finals.

If resting do it soon as bye round 14 and can then pick round 19v suns to avoid travel or something like that. Although that was his full forward game when Riewoldt got his eye poked last year.

Surprised Soldo's thread is quiet. I didn't see the match. How did Ivan II go?

Baloo said:
Surprised Soldo's thread is quiet. I didn't see the match. How did Ivan II go?

very impressively baloo.

ALmost bullied Witts in the first.

Possibly a better tap ruckman than nank? but obviously not a patch around the ground.

but competed really well and made his presence felt

Thanks E.T. Good to hear. I assumed he didn't embarrass himself as there was no chatter about him.

Baloo said:
Thanks E.T. Good to hear. I assumed he didn't embarrass himself as there was no chatter about him.

he acquitted himself very well.

and anyone who claims otherwise is plain wrong :-X

I thought he was great. Very competitive in the ruck against Witts which is a fantastic effort.

When he gets the idea to handball it does take a while for his body to react.

easy said:
very impressively baloo.

ALmost bullied Witts in the first.

Possibly a better tap ruckman than nank? but obviously not a patch around the ground.

but competed really well and made his presence felt

Haven't watched the game yet!

This awesome news. Could really come in handy as it gives us flexibility in how we structure up from here.

Wouldn't mind letting him go again next week and give knackers another weeks recovery. Maybe even play both and see how that goes. One rests at FFW or recovery time on the bench.