Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Gee his knee looked loose afterwards.

I could be wrong, but to my eyes his knee buckled a second time when walking off the ground, and then he looked to be limping worse afterwards, indicating more damage may have been caused that was in addition to the initial impact. Might be wrong, just speculating.

If a player’s knee buckles and ligament damage is suspected, it’s probably not worth the risk of letting them walk off the ground unassisted. I can’t think of any practical reason to let that happen. Of course, they can’t be expected to assist in the first place unless they’re aware of the possible injury.
This is a good post. You raise some good points. I really wondered about the protocols of removing big Ivan from the ground as I immediately believed he had sustained a terrible injury. When is the game stopped by the umpires and the injury vehicle brought out? Only when someone is knocked out or immobilized? That's inadequate for all situations imo.

I would argue that should have occurred here. He is a huge, 105kg man, who could hardly move, being assisted by one diminutive trainer who could only offer very limited assistance. I would not be in the least bit surprised if further damage was sustained in the inept, clumsy and painful (quite likely) way he was removed from the ground.

Once again AFL player welfare protocols highly questionable. Not to mention shameful umpiring that has led to injuries like this.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Gutted for the big fella.
The annoying thing about Hawkins pushing Balta in the back is that the umpires have allowed him to get away with it for way too long.
If the umpires had been paying free kicks against him this injury might not have happened.

Reactions: 2 users

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
Should the actions of Hawkins be questioned here? He was pushed players into packs a number of times during the game. . In fact he has been doing it all season with little scrutiny from the umpires/AFL. Was only a matter of time before someone got hurt.

Reactions: 3 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Should the actions of Hawkins be questioned here? He was pushed players into packs a number of times during the game. . In fact he has been doing it all season with little scrutiny from the umpires/AFL. Was only a matter of time before someone got hurt.
Imagine if that was Lynch doing it. The media would be demanding that he be rubbed out for 2021, just like poor Ivan will be.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Feel very sorry for Ivan & wish him a speedy & complete recovery. Great competitor & still much development to come. Injury hurdle which I’m sure he’ll overcome. Holds his own against the beast opposition ruckmen, so look forward to his return in late 2021 hopefully.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
They keep showing the Soldo incident but don't have the courage to illustrate how Hawkins pushes Balta in the back which means he stumbles into Ivan.
Why is it sometimes the media go through footage with a fine tooth comb to uncover a travesty but when one is right under their nose they ignore it?

Reactions: 8 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Really bad luck for the big fella and the team. He has been great in tandem with Nank setting the tone for the rest of the group. Dusty will really miss his tap work.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
They keep showing the Soldo incident but don't have the courage to illustrate how Hawkins pushes Balta in the back which means he stumbles into Ivan.
Why is it sometimes the media go through footage with a fine tooth comb to uncover a travesty but when one is right under their nose they ignore it?
If it was Lynch they would show it.

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Dalhaus actually shoves Ivy from the opposite direction too. It's like they practice this *smile* down at Geelong.:mad:

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Yep the silence is deafening.

Agenda driven flogs they are.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Pretty much means he misses all 2021 , 2022 sounds so far away , a lot can change by then

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
To me it looked like an innocuous knock after the Hawkins shove but shocked at the amount of damage occurred to Ivan. I just hope his powers of recovery are good and he will come back even better than before

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Dalhaus actually shoves Ivy from the opposite direction too. It's like they practice this *smile* down at Geelong.:mad:

I missed that but will check again. Mind you I doubt not even Geelong or their players would stoop so low as to deliberately potentially curtail a players career like that - I hope.
What the incident does show is the umpires have a bias for and against certain teams

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
To me it looked like an innocuous knock after the Hawkins shove but shocked at the amount of damage occurred to Ivan. I just hope his powers of recovery are good and he will come back even better than before
Innocuous knock?

The 105 kg balta was shoved full force who's knee then collided into the side of Soldo's knee which then buckled.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Innocuous knock?

The 105 kg balta was shoved full force who's knee then collided into the side of Soldo's knee which then buckled.
The thing is that sort of thing happens in footy all the time and I doubt the shove was done to cause serious injury, just to disrupt the play. It was unfortunate Noah's knee was forced into Ivan's knee at exactly the wrong spot. The end result I agree is a disaster for Ivan and our team. As much as I would like to see Hawkins sanctioned, I doubt it will happen