Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I know it was a football incident and plenty of other players shove opponents in the back and into other players but Hawkins is king, the tone was set in the 1st minute of play on Friday night when no free was paid for a blatant one handed shove in the back of Balta who was propelled like superman, (either that or Grimsey has taught Noah well;):D).

The Soldo incident just brings me to tears, and yes I blame Tomahawk.

Can't believe I actually agree with something Garry Lyon said On The Couch, he was going through players who shove players and came to Hawkins and said he is a recidivist .

Umpires need to wake up to it.
I think it was Gerard Healy.

Car Crash knee injury.

Same type of Reco that Will Thursfield required, and his was a pretty bad one also described as car crash knee trauma.

He did come back not quite as fast or agile but Willy T did get back and still played some great footy for the Tigers lets not forget.

Ivan will be back but will a lot of work to do in that time

Hopefully he hasnt sustained too much cartillage/ meniscus damage and the surgeon does an A1 job.
At least Soldo is not reliant on speed or agility. He shouldn't get any smaller or weaker. Perhaps his jump might be affected?

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

At least Soldo is not reliant on speed or agility. He shouldn't get any smaller or weaker. Perhaps his jump might be affected?

This will be the issue Spooker if its his jumping leg which i cant recall whether it is or not.

A tonne of work and strength will be put into it at over 2 metres he doesnt have to jump too high at least.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
It might be a year before he gets back , but it is quite often a lot longer before they get back to their best ,

its so long the club has to plan as though he is gone permanently , and if he does make it back its a bonus

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne

He isn't much of a jumper either. He relies on strength and bulk. His preferred ruck strategy is to plonk himself in a strong position and hold his opponent off. Most of the time he neutralises the contest rather than win it.

His biggest value to us is that he wears ruckman down, especially the better ones who try to ruck for most of the game. Dancing with a 204 cm 106 kg doofus is not something they enjoy because they end up expending too much energy. His combination with Nank can be very effective because he wears them down and then Nank imposes himself physically on them. It makes for a tough day at the office.

As long as the knee recovers and is stable, he will be fine. I expect that he will use the next 12 months to bulk up even more.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Has Ivan and Richmond launched legal proceedings against Tomohawk yet? A shock if not.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Champion bloke, premiership player and much respected team mate.
Hope his recovery is speedy and successful. No doubt the way he goes about recovery/rehab over the long journey he now faces will be inspiring to those around him.

Reactions: 5 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Champion bloke, premiership player and much respected team mate.
Hope his recovery is speedy and successful. No doubt the way he goes about recovery/rehab over the long journey he now faces will be inspiring to those around him.

I miss the big lug already. I’m a big fan.
Became a favourite very quickly due to his determination and honest efforts. Gives everything.
Wasn’t long ago many jeered and smirked.
Now admired and respected within a relatively short space of time. Not unexpected though. His cousin helped create the Richmond man. It’s in his blood

Reactions: 11 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I miss the big lug already. I’m a big fan.
Became a favourite very quickly due to his determination and honest efforts. Gives everything.
Wasn’t long ago many jeered and smirked.
Now admired and respected within a relatively short space of time. Not unexpected though. His cousin helped create the Richmond man. It’s in his blood

Great comments, DA

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I can't stand Hawkins, he spits the dummy when they are losing and when he is getting beaten.
He kneed Vlastuin in the back a few years ago, and I can't remember who it was, but he tried to do the same thing to another Richmond player. Vlastuin was lucky he didn't get badly hurt, can lose a kidney from a dog act like that.

Hawkins must've been put on notice about shoving players in the back, he has reverted back to kneeing players.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Hawkins must've been put on notice about shoving players in the back, he has reverted back to kneeing players.

Yep Hawkins is a dead set *smile* and a cheat. Much like many of his Geelong team mates. I guess when you're coached by Chris Scott for 10 years the stench will attach itself eventually. The fawning by the media of this club is sickening.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

That article; wow :rolleyes: .

No mention of the free he received in the 3rd quarter when he dived forward and got a garbage push in the back decision which gifted him a goal. No mention of the vision where he forcefullly pushed a Swans defender straight into a pack of players.

Nah it's all poor Tomahawk and poor Geelong. So badly done by :vomit

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
That article; wow :rolleyes: .

No mention of the free he received in the 3rd quarter when he dived forward and got an garbage push in the back decision which gifted him a goal. No mention of the vision where he forcefullly pushed a Swans defender straight into a pack of players.

Nah it's all poor Tomahawk and poor Geelong. So badly done by :vomit
With the social media attention about Hawkins from the Richmond and Swan games, I really hope that the umpires are now more aware of what Hawkins has been getting away with.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We'll definitely miss him if we come up against Natanui or Grundy in particular.

Not sure about Grundy. He looks to be breaking down and is just being held together enough to take to the field. A bit of dedicated Nank attention at the start of the much should curtail Grundy's around the ground presence

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
We'll definitely miss him if we come up against Natanui or Grundy in particular.
That's my concern. It's a whole different ball-game if Nank has to take on these teams with 2 big, strong rucks alone (Chol doesn't look like much hope, probably won't even get selected which means Balta and/or Lynch to give a chop-out). However, there's a fair chance we may not play Skunks or Weagles again.
If we can beat Brisvegas?? But that's exactly where the problem starts. Lions already had McInerney but now Stef Martin back. It's exactly like our combo; the huge big, awkward guy and the smaller, fiercely competitive smaller, follow-up type.

So now it's like we are racing a V8 cylinder opponent with a 5/6 cylinder saloon.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Has Ivan and Richmond launched legal proceedings against Tomohawk yet? A shock if not.
So you think this sarcasm is funny? Try reading this thread fully and SM. Many passionate AFL and Tiger fans outraged by what Hawkins gets away with. And he has just done the same against a young Swan opponent. Not penalised ... again. As others have also said, if Umps awarded frees against, his cowardly shoving would have been stamped out.

My call for legal action is not unprecedented actually, if unlikely, mainly because nowadays players have their medical costs and fees all covered while still drawing their full salary I suppose.

Otherwise legal action would be inevitable. It's disgusting that pig Hawkins keeps getting away with such dangerous interference. In that same game, Grimes, Riewoldt and Ratugolea flew for and took brilliant high marks without pushing opponents in the back prior.

Maybe my response stems from fury and frustration. But at least I show some empathy.
I don't think your patronising attitude is going to do much for the ensuing lost year Ivan now has to endure. His loss may be a serious impediment to our '20 flag hopes as I have already posted elsewhere.